Freekysch

What makes a Technic flagship a must have model ?

As i see a lot of information about the price, functionality and looks of this years flagship, 42030, i am wondering what makes a flagship model a must have for all of you, Technic collectors. What do you prefere the most: looks, functionality, good price, lots of pieces, great design ?

In my opinion in the last years, LEGO lowered the standards a little in terms of designing the flagships, i think the last flagship that was a must have is the Excavator 8043 from 2010.

PS: I am sorry if there is another topic debating this subject.

LE: I forgot about 8110, i must agree that is a great set !

Edited by Freekysch

As a Technic flagship collector IMO 8110 and 42009 were also true flagships according to my standards (9398 is a bit less what I would expect from a flagship but 41999 corrected it the right way).

My standards are: innovation, authenticity, functionality, great design, and good value also in a long term.

Edited by Interceptor

IIRC there is a thread called "what makes a set a good set?" or something similar... more or less this is the important question also for flagships...

My critierias for must-have flagships are - in this priority:

1. complexity, well done internal design (e.g. modularity) and clever solutions

2. functionality

3. Innovation

4. Realism rsp. authenticity

5. Playability

6. Look

7. well done B-model

Outstanding examples are e.g.: 8880, 8868, 8480, 8479, 8485, 8455, 8258, 8043, 8110 and to a lesser extent the 42009 (really no innovation)

I think it has to have good parts and bring something new. For instance the 8110 introduced orange parts and new pneumatic pieces. However, a new thing doesn't have to be necessary as seen in the 8043 and the 42009. Both are excellent models. They also have to be complex which the 9398 failed at.

Edited by Rishab N

Here is what I think should make a flagship:

Authenticity (functionally and especially mechanically more so than aesthetically but all three are important),

lots of functionality (obviously. All functionality must work with a realistic sense of power and reliability, not like the outriggers of 42009),

complexity (but not for it's own sake. Must be complex not just to make it more complex but to recreate the complexity of the real life counterpart and out of a need to create lots of authentic functionality. I enjoy the complexities of sets like 8043 and 42009 and whilst they do display great skill by the designer I much prefer the complexity of sets like 8110, 8868 and 8455),

innovation (in terms of new functionality not seen or possible before),

new parts (to aid innovation but also to make things simpler and easier for 11-16 years olds to build and understand the mechanisms. Remember what I said about things not being complex just for the sake of complexity? New gearbox parts would make for a more authentic and innovative (in terms of technic) gearbox that is more efficient and reliable for motorisation and also easier to build requiring less parts and easier to fully understand how it creates all the different speed ratios. Requiring less parts to build it would also be available in smaller sets, keeping the mechanisms simple and easy to build whilst also increasing the complexity and authenticity of a model overall just by having a working transmission.),

high piece count (this one has a caveat. Like complexity, a high piece count should be there because it is needed to achieve another aspect of what makes a good flagship and not just for the sake of having a large piece count. Personally I consider 8455 one of the best flagships ever, looking at the list above it achieves many of it's requirements despite being under 800 pieces. That's not to say I prefer low piece counts, of course I would love lots of sets with over 2000 pieces, but if that high piece count isn't going towards making the model more mechanically authentic, leading to building many authentic mechanisms to reproduce many working functions and so on then having a high piece count turns into a negative as it is increasing the cost of the set, both to produce and to buy for no reason other than being able to say it has lots of parts, and can make for a needlessly long and boring build. It's like how having a big budget is usually needed to make a good summer blockbuster movie, but having a big budget does not guarantee it will be a good movie.)

A little extra touch of class (this is that little extra care that tells you this is something special. Like having engine blocks in green (is that the only thing 42030 gets right?) or 5x7 and 5x11 frames in new colours, or other more standard colour parts like axles, pneumatics and so on in other colours just to add that little extra, like the white axles in 8480 or the green axles in the barcode truck. For today's flagships intended for older builders I'de like to see colour vomit removed altogether, all pins and gears in black or grey, all axles in black except when aesthetics require otherwise (like 8480). And while I'm going down this road again why not a return of the clear plastic lids just for the flagships :grin:. Instructions that show this is a flagship model, not your run of the mill set for beginners, so one big thick book, less steps with more parts in each step and even those black and yellow chevrons on the edges. Also, more care should be but into the placement of controls in a flagship, so no little imaginary operators having to climb to the end of a boom to reach the knob that moves whatever is right next to it like was the case with 8258.)

Edited by allanp

Very good break down Allanp. I didnt like the color vomit at first but then I realized these are toys and 1.) it makes the models "pop" or stand out. 2.) It better illustrates how the thing is actually assembled 3.) They are toys and the colors are fun. 4.) It adds to the challenge of controlling the color of your model. Sometimes you'll redesign a whole section just so the blue pin/axle pieces dont show through. In other cases, having 4 blue pins poke through along the top of a windshield just looks cool!

I agree that the model should be accurate, with lots of features but low complexity, and form and function seamlessly integrated. Lastly it should offer 1 new element, or color, or something to put the cherry on top. Attacking the market from all angles, beauty, functionality, accuracy, necessity..

I think functionality and the ability to inspire. That's what attracted me to lego in the first place. A small container of parts kept me busy for almost twenty years. The models listed above have led our fellow eurobrickers, and others, to create some great ideas.

8258 caught my attention but I never got it.

H

Edited by Horace T