Sign in to follow this  
GuyDudeMan27

[WIP] Imperial Shuttle

A little while back, I was working on modding 7166-1 in LDD, which led me to build a new cockpit, which I posted here. Since then, I decided I should make a new body for the shuttle, as the original started to look bad with the new cockpit on it. The project as a whole is a little further along than in the pictures, with custom wings already built, but I thought that some input would be helpful. A few shortcomings that I have encountered so far are that there will likely be no room for any figs, which is a let down. A prime example of why I decided to post here. besides that, the whole building style is very odd, and may not hold up in real life, as there is no physics in LDD. At this point in the build, I'm kinda stuck. Studying the build will be my main priority for now. Until then, here are the pictures! I would add the LDD file, but it is too big for this sites uploader. Any help on that?

Front view, showing off the cockpit and the body. The wings aren't attached for now, but will be soon.

Screen+Shot+2014-07-11+at+1.01.49+AM.png

3/4 shot, showing off the rest of the body. The top fin area comes straight off the TLG version, but could change in the future.

Screen+Shot+2014-07-11+at+1.02.08+AM.png

Lastly, the back. I haven't decided what to do about it yet, as I'm not sure of the playability of the model. I may end up adding a door, or just sealing it off.

Screen+Shot+2014-07-11+at+1.02.23+AM.png

Any C&C welcome, as well as suggestions on how to improve the model.

Edited by GuyDudeMan27

looking pretty good but don't you think that the "top wing" might fall off IRL (it might be too heavy?)? are you going to attach it differently ?

looking pretty good but don't you think that the "top wing" might fall off IRL (it might be too heavy?)? are you going to attach it differently ?

Thats another thing I need to work on. It kinda rests on the slope bricks, but who knows IRL.

I see it's holding on what, 5 studs right ? I think it might be too tall -> too heavy for that option. It might just fall off when playing with the model.

just my 3 cents.

I see it's holding on what, 5 studs right ? I think it might be too tall -> too heavy for that option. It might just fall off when playing with the model.

just my 3 cents.

Originally I had a huge stack of bricks holding it up, but it took up the whole interior. I'm planning on reinforcing the whole thing, as there is no way it would stay together IRL

I suggest to lower the cockpit just a little bit and add some alternate way to hold the upper wing in its position, but if its going to be just an LDD moc it wouldn't matter.

I suggest to lower the cockpit just a little bit and add some alternate way to hold the upper wing in its position, but if its going to be just an LDD moc it wouldn't matter.

I'm working on supporting the roof, while leaving enough space for some figs and equipment. I plan on building it eventually, assuming TLG doesn't make (a good) one. :wink:

Edited by GuyDudeMan27

Hey Guys! I've been working on this guy for a little while and I'm ready to show my progress. So, here we go! All pics are on my flickr album. Enjoy! :sweet:

14892954629_21fd2f97e3_z.jpgWIP Imperial Shuttle by GuyDudeMan27, on Flickr

I haven't done too much, but enough to justify another update. Mostly, I've just done stability updates. Now, the cockpit won't fall apart and the top fin should stay on. I've also added another layer on the bottom on the fin. You can also catch a glimpse of the landing gear, but we'll get to that soon enough...

15076626971_3a695c60ec_z.jpgShuttle Side View by GuyDudeMan27, on Flickr

Here is a side shot of the shuttle. You can see the turret on the back and the bottom of the fin. Not much else here.

14893066268_5f5cbfa774_z.jpgShuttle Back View by GuyDudeMan27, on Flickr

Here's the back shot. I haven't put in engines yet, but they'll be going in soon. There's no door, since I decided to make the whole thing more like a play set opening up. Also, you can see more glimpses of the landing gear. I think I'll made you wait till the end to see them... :devil:

15079642755_0880e174ca_z.jpgShuttle Interior by GuyDudeMan27, on Flickr

Here is said playset interior. the slopes come off all together, and the top is held on by a few studs and rests on the slopes when its on. Once every thing is off, the interior holds 8 passengers, and 6 blaster holders. You can also see how the slopes are "attached" to the base plates. It's elaborated better in the next pic.

14893091957_e71f252093_z.jpgShuttle Inner Connection by GuyDudeMan27, on Flickr

Here's the "attachment" of the slopes and so forth. Basically, the top fin rests on the slopes, which are connected to the snotted bricks and in turn the floor. Because of the snotted bricks, it doesn't snap onto a stud, but it rests on 8 1x2 columns, which are also the blaster racks. Barrel rolls aren't recommended for this MOC! :laugh: I was considering ditching the snotted bricks for a more sturdy connection, but it looks so nice! :grin: This part definitely needs the most improvement. If and when I do build this I'll try to find a better connection.

15079672345_05846d247c_z.jpgShuttle Landing Gear by GuyDudeMan27, on Flickr

Lastly, here's the long waited landing gear! Yes, I'm aware that there should only be two feet, but the third is for stability. I went more for looks that accuracy, but I'm sure it'll do.

This is it for now, so any feedback and suggestions are welcome!

Looks really good so far, it'll be beauty when it's finished. Great work :thumbup

Sorry for the bump, but is there any more updates of this beauty? :tongue:

*oh2* You called it a beauty! Thanks so much! I've been working on and off on this. The last thing I was working on were the snoted wings. When I get a chance I'll take a screenshot. I'm also working on the Z-95, so this might take longer to finish up.