Sign in to follow this  
TheBrickAvenger

Waterloo - La Haye Sainte (18th June 1815)

[pid][/pid]198C

Hello everybody :pir-sweet: !

On June 18, 1815, during the Battle of Waterloo, the French attempt to take over the farm of La Haye Sainte, where the English hold a position. The farm fell to the French at 6:30 p.m. after several hours of fighting.

6631070703_49ff974ebc_z.jpg

Waterloo - La Haye Sainte (18th June 1815) par TheBrickAvenger, sur Flickr

(So I decided to represent a scene in the inner part of a farm held by the English. That is my participation in the "Scene of War" contest on TheLegoContestNetwork. This creation is added to my series on the Napoleonic Wars! I hope you will like it :) !)

I also take this description to wish you a happy new year 2012 ! I hope to find a little more time to create !)

Very nice view looking out through the cannon blasted walls. "Held by the English"??? La Haye Sainte was garrisoned by soldiers of the Kings German Legion who yes are all very much Germans not English. Those English chaps stood on the ridge behind the farm. Good luck with the contest though :pir-tongue:

Great work there 'TheBrickAvenger', good luck in the contest too. :pir-classic:

Odd side note, it's funny how armies all seem to gang up on the French....then a hundred years later the tables are turned and the French were friendly to English, then the English at War with an ally a hundred years back....the world is a weird place eh ? :pir_laugh2:

Brick On Fight On 'TheBrickAvenger' ! :pir-classic:

Very good work indeed! :thumbup:

Not only are the minifigs and the setting awesome, the capture of the scene on camera is also impressive. I wish I would be so full of ideas like you are. Very good!

Nicely done, that redcoat sure is in a desperate situation :pir_laugh2:

Nice smoke too.

You're been churning out some great historical recreations lately, I think each one gets better.

[bloggedcp][/bloggedcp]

Odd side note, it's funny how armies all seem to gang up on the French....then a hundred years later the tables are turned and the French were friendly to English, then the English at War with an ally a hundred years back....the world is a weird place eh ? :pir_laugh2:

Brick On Fight On 'TheBrickAvenger' ! :pir-classic:

That my friend, is caused by the greed of rulers and has been around since the start of human life. :pir-devil:

Any ways, beautiful MOC as usual TheBrickAvenger, can't wait for more! GOOD LUCK! :jollyroger:

I think the using of the back torso for the redcoats worked out very well. The looks very good as well, perfect job. :pir-wink:

Thank you for the nice comments and the person who blogged me! :pir-cry_happy:

Held by the English"??? La Haye Sainte was garrisoned by soldiers of the Kings German Legion who yes are all very much Germans not English. Those English chaps stood on the ridge behind the farm.

I studied a little of that battle and I thought I remembered a painting where you see a group of British soldiers resist an assault against the French but you may be right and in this case, I'm confused :pir-sceptic: !

Odd side note, it's funny how armies all seem to gang up on the French....then a hundred years later the tables are turned and the French were friendly to English, then the English at War with an ally a hundred years back....the world is a weird place eh ?

It was a very different time and there were many rivalries between England and France and has been for some time! During the periods that followed perhaps diplomacy and the game of alliances were more effective. I think this is not the world's weird but Man :pir-classic: !

I studied a little of that battle and I thought I remembered a painting where you see a group of British soldiers resist an assault against the French but you may be right and in this case, I'm confused :pir-sceptic: !

The farmhouse was indeed garrisoned by the KGL. (They did receive a small reinforcement of Dutch troops though.)

If I had to guess where your confusion about the British fighting in the farmhouse comes from I should think it's from the quite popular fictional series about the British soldier turned officer Richard Sharpe by Bernard Cornwell. One of the film adaptations "Sharpe's Waterloo" has the battle at La Haye Sainte. This scene has tons of redcoats and riflemen from the 95th holding the building against waves of French.

Hope this helps clarify.

Its easy to be confused on the matter as the KGL wore the same redcoat uniform as the English soldiers. They also had a light infantry detachment in dark green like the 95th rifles except they wore dark grey breaches. The actual 95th rifles of Sharpe fame were holding a position to the right of the farm called the sandpit. :pir-hmpf_bad:

Edited by michaelozzie

And did anyone notice the tiara blood spatter on the fusilier? Very nice detailing.

The Germans won Waterloo hands down. :bonaparte: I think I heard about half the British army was German and Dutch, particularly Hanoverian. Then, of course, the Prussians saved the day later for Wellington.

Actually I think it was more like a third was non British although the British troops withstood the worst onslaughts of the day. But yes, the Germans don't get as much credit as they deserve for their part.

It occurs to me that the fight you are thinking of with British troops holding a farm at Waterloo was on the Allied right - another farm called Hougoumont..