the enigma that is badger

Custom Brickarms Flintlock Musket and Pistol?

Hi folks! While Brickarms has always focused on weaponry of the post-WWII era, lately Will Chapman, owner of Brickarms and designer of its fine custom accessories, has shown some willingness to branch out (check out his soon-to-be-released limited edition needle and scalpel in this thread.) As a huge fan of the Pirate themes of old, I've been wondering if there wouldn't be a strong market for custom accessories that would fit the Pirate theme, namely a flintlock musket and pistol.

Here's my question for all your Pirate fans: would you be interested in a custom Brickarms musket and/or pistol? I know many follow the "purist" mentality when it comes to their MOCs, but keep in mind that a Brickarms musket would be much more accurate to the firearm of the period than the accessory produced by TLC, would feature the detail and accuracy that's the hallmark of all Brickarms products, and be constructed of the same high-quality ABS plastic that TLC uses for their parts.

Here's a reference picture for a quick guide to what a minifig accessory musket would be based on:

31oOOJB1L%20L._AA280_.jpg

This could be designed with or without the bayonet. Do you have an preference for one over the other?

and the pistol:

flintlock_pistol.jpg

*Note that the pistol I'm suggesting lacks the blunderbuss-feel of the TLC pistol.

What do you all think? Would accessories of this type be something that would interest you? Keep in mind that Will currently has no plans to produce these accessories, but should this topic get enough of a response, that's always subject to change! X-D

If you'd like some, let me know here!

badger

Yes, a musket would be nice especially if it came with a removable bayonet, but what I'd really want (And a lot of people here) is Shako's. Just from bricklink prices and number of people who want them its got a fairly large market and can be used in multiple themes not just pirates.

Edited by Fordo

what I'd really want (And a lot of people here) is Shako's. Just from bricklink prices and number of people who want them its got a fairly large market and can be used in multiple themes not just pirates.

Unfortunately, Will is unable to produce most helmet designs due to the type of molds he uses to produce the Brickarms accessories. The type of mold needed to make helmets is more complicated and therefore much more expensive. As such, these molds are currently not financially viable for Will to invest in.

However, I would say that muskets would also be very versatile accessories and could be useful for any number of MOCs.

Looking forward to hearing from all you!

badger

Yes, a musket would be nice especially if it came with a removable bayonet, but what I'd really want (And a lot of people here) is Shako's. Just from bricklink prices and number of people who want them its got a fairly large market and can be used in multiple themes not just pirates.

Couldn't have said it better! There are many items I'd preffer to see rendered as a mold over weaponry. Different colour epaulettes etc. I think most are fairly happy with the official Lego cutlass, musket and pistol. That's not to say a musket with a removable boyonette wouldn't be appreciated, it's just I think it's a fair bit down on the list of customised pieces we'd like to see.

Hmm...I think that the TLC pirate weapons are currently sufficient, although a bayonet piece that clips onto the musket barrel would be nice - imagine the silver knife piece with a clip on the side...

Edit: Like this -

bayonet.jpg

SlyOwl

Edited by SlyOwl

Hmm...I think that the TLC pirate weapons are currently sufficient, although a bayonet piece that clips onto the musket barrel would be nice - imagine the silver knife piece with a clip on the side...

SlyOwl

Yeah i was thinking that too, having a lush musket with one of those silver knives would look badass!!

I would prefer the shako.

Too bad will isn't able to make them (yet :'-) )

I think i'd really like those weapons with removable bayonets.

The lego version is so 15th or 16th century with the flared out ends of the barrels. |-/

I've been content with them, but i think my USS Constitution Marines and crew need something more modern.

P

Edited by phred

I'd like to see a musket, as the current Lego one is really more of a blunderbuss-type of thing. Would rather have a bayonet on it, as it would have been fixed always during a battle, usually, and was always fixed in some armies, such as the Prussian one.

Id definately buy some, and would it be possible to make cannons? shakos would be awsome but as you said you cant afford the mold at the moment. no worries, just let us know when you can!

I think the idea of making custom muskets is great especially if their are bayonets attached! I would also like shakos as some previous people have mentioned.

Glad to see some other folks agree with me that a custom musket and/or pistol would be a fun and versatile addition to Brickarms!

although a bayonet piece that clips onto the musket barrel would be nice

For a musket accessory, most likely the bayonet would be molded onto the weapon. The musket would then sold both with and without the bayonet (like the current M23 and SOCOM Brickarms pistols).

However, Will is also aware there is an interest in a system that would allow for removable and re-attachable bayonets. See this thread and this other thread for more discussion on those ideas. While Will has not publicly announced any plans for such an accessory just yet, he is aware of how versatile such an item would be.

Id definately buy some, and would it be possible to make cannons? shakos would be awsome but as you said you cant afford the mold at the moment. no worries, just let us know when you can!

Unfortunately, since cannons are a very wide and hollow item, they have the same molding issues as helmets. As such, a Brickarms cannon is unlikely.

Keep those comments on a musket and pistol coming!

badger

Edited by the enigma that is badger

I would buy any accessories that can be used for Napoleonic troops (muskets, bayonets, pistols, backer riffle, ...).

If the quality and price is right, you can expect some large orders from me.

The sooner the better ;-)

I'd definitly go for new rifles and pistols, also some period tools, like saws(large two handers), surveying equipment, telescopes. Now for artillery how about a 3-inch ordnance rifle. It would be smaller then the Lego cannon.

ordnance rifle an others

And maybe cannon accessories.

Other nice to have: Steam whistle for steam trains

I'm interested to see what may be conjured up by Will.

A rifle/musket with a detachable bayonet would be my preference (and the bayonet could even be adaptable for future weapons, like in WWII, if it was made general enough!).

Badger, couldn't will make the bayonet a clip on like the Bi-pod

Indeed he could! In fact, the very same suggestion is currently being discussed here on the BA Forums.

Again, while Will is not currently developing something similar to this, he is aware of how versatile and useful an accessory of this type would be.

badger

Yeah man, tell him to bring them on. *sweet* There is a market for old custom guns, and they are kind of neglected in the world of Lego customizing. Some American Civil War period weapons would be nice too, please. ;-)

And by the way, his needle and scalpel are FANTASTIC. I'll have to get some for my doctors when they become available. The quality of his work goes above and beyond.

Hell yeah! :-D

We are in serious need of more accurate muskets, and bayoneted muskets. It's range could be from the 1700's until the 1860's (Alamo and American Civil War too). If the design would be like the M1 Garand Will will produce, and with the monopod attaching to the musket, minifigs can aim correctly too.

I hope this idea will be made into plastic *sweet*

TT

Have you thought of making non-fireable pirate weapons? Would be great if you ask me.

Previously, Will had some very strong concerns that the type of molds he uses wouldn't be able to produce a sharp, crisp edge for swords and other edged weapons. However, as the new limited-edition scalpel shows, Will is indeed able to achieve a good edge, and while there are currently no specific plans for Brickarms edged weaponry, the ability for Will to design and mold them is certainly there.

However, most of the swords you've mentioned here aren't really possible. The "wrap around" hilt of the cutlass you've pictured here isn't possible with the types of molds Will uses. As for the rapier, given the resulting accessory would essentially be a very long, thin, pointed piece of hard ABS plastic, there would be some serious safety issues associated with it especially since many purchases made from Will are gifts for younger builders. Heck, even I have managed to jab myself more than a few times on the sharper Little Armory items. It hurts!

I'm really glad to see so much interest in future Brickarms activities and sorry I haven't been quite as active in this thread. If you want to talk about items you'd like to suggest to Will as things you'd like to see produced by Brickarms, the Brickarms Forums is the place to go.

Another big thanks to all you Pirate fans for all the great feedback!

badger