Sign in to follow this  
Pizzareno

[WIP] NZR DJ BO-BO-BO

Hello Train Tech.

I have been working on a new locomotive. I know I take a very long time between projects, but anyway here is a new project I am looking for some input on.

Here is some samples of the prototype - https://www.flickr.com/search/?text=nzr%20dj

I know there is some rainbow colouring and that can be sorted with a few bricklink orders. Before I do that however, I would like the expert advice and input from the community on any changes or improvements you might make to refine the model. I struggle with the bogies as the detailing on the wheels are only held on with a single stud between each wheel set. I have changed the black bar on the cab to a minifig hand and reversed the headlight brick to hold it. The front of the cab I plan to use a yellow vinyl sticker unless someone can design a better window arrangement :) For the places where there are short white bars I will cut a white flex tube to size. The other thing I haven't been able to come up with is a way to keep the roundness of the cab roof and add horns to one side. Anyone got any ideas for that?

Well, anyway please let me know what you think.

28608964664_77c845c915_c.jpg

29123532172_66d686233d_c.jpg

28608964884_abe32a50a3_c.jpg

Looking good so far! Judging by the 9v motor you're planning to have this run. I'm curious: how did you attach the middle bogie while still allowing it to go through curves?

As far as the side frames for the bogies, I usually attach a bar or flex tube to the train motor (or motor-shaped truck buildup) using plates with clips and then attach the side frame there.

Part 63868 is great for attaching to the top of the motor and holding the bar clear of the wheels.

63868.png

If this doesn't make sense I can take some pics when I get home from work later today.

Hi Crispy, here is a photo of the bogies currently. The idea is that I can swap the back bogie for another 9v motor.

28630626263_f9c54b12c1_z.jpg

If you could show me what you do that would be most helpful and appreciated :)

Thank you.

Decided to go for a far more simple solution. Although looking at the examples above it did convince me to raise the height of the loco 1 plate above the bogie. Upon examining the real life example more I have decided that the wheels should appear more recessed and only the springs be more prominent. I don't know which solution looks better though. I would change the bogie springs to black rather than sliver but that still doesn't make up my mind. Anyone got any opinion on this?

29365404266_7d59f01721_c.jpg

Edited by Pizzareno

Anyone got any opinion on this?

Of those two options I'd definitely say the one on the right. I think it looks better as the springs are taller, more prominent, and have something they attach to at the bottom. Unless there was some way to adjust the method on the left to mount the 1x2 plate with bar, and thus the springs, from the bottom of the bogie, but that might run into issues with the 9v motor.

If you couldn't tell by now I like detailed bogie designs, I think they take great MOCs to the next level.

Pizzareno,

Great looking MOC so far. Regarding the bogie|truck detailing, I would go with the taller spring design provided it does not hamper movement. (On Bo'Bo'Bo' locomotives such as this, KiwiRail EF class and the Eurotunnel Class 9000, the springs mount to the chassis|frame but unless you are planning to recreate that functionality it is a mute point. Though you could put a tile on the top of the "springs" for added stability and aesthetics but that may not work.) Regarding your design for the bogies|trucks, linking the central one to an end unit will work. If performance with the linkage is less than desired, consider a design more aligned with the Bo'Bo'Bo' (B+B+B) configuration. In the aforementioned locomotives, the central central bogie|track is designed to not only pivot but also have lateral movement. (rotates and moves side to side.)

Other than that it is looking great. I look forward to the finished MOC.

3D LEGO