Murdoch17

Inter-modal cargo transfer terminal (60052 + 4555 inspired MOC)

This model was heavily inspired by set 4555 (Cargo Station) from 1995 and by set 60052 (Cargo Train) from 2014. I smashed both models together and added some of my inspiration in places. (This model is also supposed to be compatible with set 60169 (Cargo Terminal) from this years summer CITY lineup.) As a side note, the sign on top of the lower floor is supposed to say CARGO TERMINAL in printed 1 x 1 tiles.

34476033563_917b9ab743_z.jpg

The original set 4555 is one of the sets my father bought back in 1995 when 9v was King and I was just a little baby. Growing up I remember playing fondly with this set.... actually, I loved tearing it apart and making it better, which drove my Dad nuts. I think I tore his collection apart so much he decided to give me my own trains to pull apart, which are actually still together today. :laugh:

34476033723_1d84c9a0a6_z.jpg

The rear of the model. I added new 1x6x5 panels to add a bit of texture to the otherwise smooth area.

34476033893_6a7a85e78c_z.jpg

The model features expanded interior details such as the staircase to access the top floor where the conference / break room is from the lower floor secretary's desk area. It also features a swing open rear section containing a office under the stairs, with a Technic pin to lock it closed.

NOTE: The rear half can only open up to 90 degrees, as the base of the model prevents it from opening any further.

34476033953_66ac28c82d_z.jpg

The gantry and the crane itself slide back and forth to provide for truck to train (or train to truck) movement of shipping containers or raw materials by themselves. The gantry can move left to right (red arrow), while the actual crane can move forward and back. (yellow arrow)  Unfortunately, the LDD program doesn't allow for it to move, but it will in real life! This model is missing one crucial part: the cable for the crane. (That's this part: http://www.bricklink...e?P=x77ac50#T=C )

34476034003_da990dd7fc_z.jpg

With the new enlarged road section, the model now lines up with the modern printed road base-plates.

Here is the LDD file for my model: LDD link

All comments, be they complaints, questions or compliments are welcome!

EDIT 6/15/17:  The model has been updated with wider two-way road section and longer crane. (the brick-built roadway now lines up with modern road base-plates) LDD file and pictures have been updated as well.

Edited by Murdoch17

Slight BUMP:

34952768166_6798212156_z.jpg

Revised the model and didn't think and new topic would be a good idea since I already had made one for the original version. Compare the new version to the original one below!

29144650731_e061b6773b_z.jpg

Looking good! Are there any details inside the office?
I can't help feeling though that either the yellow pillars are a little too thick, or the wheels are too small.
Perhaps bringing the wheels closer together, and covering them with a fairing or skirt would help disguise the unwieldy-looking base? Currently, I think it looks a bit 'off', as if it would buckle and collapse because of the high mass of the pillar and the wide apart, flimsy-looking wheels. I know it will be perfectly strong enough IRL, but just for looks. Also, a fairing could feature end bumpers and lights, and protect your minifig workers.

On 5/31/2017 at 1:01 PM, ColletArrow said:

Looking good! Are there any details inside the office?
I can't help feeling though that either the yellow pillars are a little too thick, or the wheels are too small.
Perhaps bringing the wheels closer together, and covering them with a fairing or skirt would help disguise the unwieldy-looking base? Currently, I think it looks a bit 'off', as if it would buckle and collapse because of the high mass of the pillar and the wide apart, flimsy-looking wheels. I know it will be perfectly strong enough IRL, but just for looks. Also, a fairing could feature end bumpers and lights, and protect your minifig workers.

No office details yet, and i was going for an official looking model, and as such lacks most of the features you mentioned. But that's the beauty of the ldd / LEGO in general file, you can always modify it to your tastes!

Looks very nice. But as you extended the building, I would make the crane wider, to maybe support two racks or a wider road? Anyway, thanks for the .ldd

On 6/2/2017 at 8:15 PM, LegoMonorailFan said:

Very nice @Murdoch17. It looks very clean. Thumbs up.

Thanks!

12 hours ago, Wabbajack said:

Looks very nice. But as you extended the building, I would make the crane wider, to maybe support two racks or a wider road? Anyway, thanks for the .ldd

That's a good idea about the two tracks / wider road , and it may be added in the future.

8 hours ago, spzero said:

Awesome design love it

Thank you!

2 hours ago, Vliebricker said:

Great design, Murdoch17, something to remember for my own lay-out! Thanks.

Thanks! by the way, I just updated the model to include a bunch of ideas @ColletArrow and @Wabbajack suggested. The ldd file has also been changed to reflect the pictures.