Sign in to follow this  
spzero

Charging while moving, 9v to powerfunctions

Charging while moving is it possible anyone done it?

Okay I have a great little train layout in my shop window and it works fine most of the time, sometimes with the old 9v motors wearing down contacts and so forth the motors stop in certain sections its really annoying as I run them for hours everyday, and have to keep giving them a push, I would like to get the best from both worlds power functions and 9v.

I'm currently using a PF motor as they are less prone to overheating in the afternoon sunshine this is powered by a 9volt motorless boogie getting power from the tracks ( I have to add new contacts quite frequently as all the original ones are worn down) as soon as the pickup motor looses power from a section of track (say a point section) the train comes to a halt so I have to run short fast trains to avoid this.

I would love a nice slow train using the 9volt off the track to keep charged the 9v pf battery pack (with rechargeable batteries) and simultaneously powering the train.. is this possible would it be possible with the official rechargeable pack?

Advice appreciated I know this has been discussed before but I,m not aware of any results..

I've never tried running the Rechargable battery box whilst charging it, but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't.

Likewise, I don't see why that charge couldn't come from 9V track, via the metal wheels/pickups, and then wired to the charging plug that goes into the battery box.

I'm not an electrician though, so I take no responsibility for anything which burns down as a result of people trying this :wink:

Hi, there are some ways you can solve your problem, some cheap, some not so cheap.

You may be interested in this topic.. http://www.eurobrick...opic=120012 it says for 4.5V trains but you could do the same for 9V motors. You would need a simple little timer circuit to turn the power on and off to the track segment.

Or maybe this one, more expensive.. http://www.eurobrick...howtopic=120326

Edited by John Hill

It is possible, we've done it in our lug. You need a bridge rectifier on the locomotive and you need 12v on the track instead of 9v. Also need to remove the motor from the 9v shell. But other than that, should be easy. I've done some more tricky stuff too, like using super capacitors instead of the battery.

Thanks everyone good to know

It is possible, we've done it in our lug. You need a bridge rectifier on the locomotive and you need 12v on the track instead of 9v. Also need to remove the motor from the 9v shell. But other than that, should be easy. I've done some more tricky stuff too, like using super capacitors instead of the battery.

@legoman666 12 volt is fine as I use the old 12 volt controller to power the lights and stuff so have one spare I could then make the 9v redundant, any idea on what rating etc the bridge rectifier needs to be...?

Thanks everyone good to know

@legoman666 12 volt is fine as I use the old 12 volt controller to power the lights and stuff so have one spare I could then make the 9v redundant, any idea on what rating etc the bridge rectifier needs to be...?

2A would be plenty. Whatever the rating your 12V power supply has.