Paul Boratko

Chinese website selling dozens of builder's instructions

Someone from China sent me a link for this website where there are many instructions being resold.. Some of them are offered by the original builders for free, but they are selling them anyways... I've seen Nico's, Sheepo's, Nathanael's, mine, and quite a few others...

The site is a bit difficult to navigate because of the language... Unless you speak that language, you just have to scroll around..

LINK

I followed the link, and it gave me a bad page. But yeah, IP and copyright aren't real big in China, so if they can rip it off, they will.

I think there is always going to be cases were people try to make a quick buck at the expense of others,there is not much that can be done to stop it.

I followed the link, and it gave me a bad page. But yeah, IP and copyright aren't real big in China, so if they can rip it off, they will.

It does work here is a nice looking dump truck who made this....and is it in the HOF?

That is indeed very sad, but not sure one can do much about it.

I can't read chinese, but I had to install an app. China is also good at making virusses so didn't trust it to install

Instead of banning trade with Cuba, why didn't they do it with China? We'd be much better off.

Yup, I can't navigate, I only see 6 instructions being sold. Is there a list or something?

Instead of banning trade with Cuba, why didn't they do it with China? We'd be much better off.

But then where would that leave the rest of the world? Most of the worlds products are manufactured in China

What?! Are you aware that we owe China trillions of dollars and probably a good idea to maintain a healthy a political relationship with them?

This is really disheartening. I can't decide which is worse: selling paid instructions or selling free instructions.

Selling ones that others release free is arguably not as bad, though i think its a bit more dick-ish

They are not selling any of my stuff :(

Or my loader,that must mean that our models are not good enough. :cry2:

Edited by Alasdair Ryan

On a positive note, I have through this website found a (the first?) video of my Swingloader Mk II. Pretty bad though, not much juice in those batteries! :laugh:

It's on a chinese video site, and even that seems to be a rip off off YouTube (it's called YouKu.com) :grin:

On topic:

I frankly don't get too worked up over this kind of stuff, as I am aware there is absolutely nothing me nor anyone else can do to prevent it from happening. Feel bad for those poor souls being conned into paying for instructions that they can get for free legitimately elsewhere though, and of course I can see it as being a bit worse for those of you who charge people for your instructions.. Hopefully, making people aware of this issue (by making topics like this), will not make future potential instruction buyers take the cheaper, chinesier route to obtain them. :sceptic:

Edited by D3K

My loader has more complex instructions and a more challenging build....

Upon reviewing the instructions, I think I can see why this took so long! :sweet: It seems to be an extremely complicated build, maybe a little too much for some people :classic:

Edited by Alasdair Ryan

I think there is always going to be cases were people try to make a quick buck at the expense of others,there is not much that can be done to stop it.

It does work here is a nice looking dump truck who made this....and is it in the HOF?

Probably by a chinese builder, selling a complete kit. For almost $1000, I sure hope it isn't just instructions!

Edited by BachAddict

This is very sad indeed. I feel so sorry for all the people "victims" of these chinese unfair and insulting "business".

Is there any way to contact them and ask in a polite way to stop what they are doing? Maybe if all of us start to send them messages they will stop it.

They appear to be providing a service to non-English proficient clients. You could ask them for a cut of the sales of your work. Or hire a bunch of "contractors" to enforce your IP or copyright (cheaper than lawyers). :laugh:

This is sad. As a Chinese, I feel ashamed of it. But there is nothing I can do to change it.

TAOBAO.com is the biggest C2C online shopping site in China, probably across the globe. You can find anything you want to buy on it.

Basically anything.

So I don’t think any MOC designer would survive as long as he made building instructions and put it online, whether it’s free or for sale.

I’m pretty “confident” that my fellow people would do that.

I even found my forklift on that site. Just type in the keywords (sometimes in Chinese characters) in the search bar and you will be surprised.

We are famous for making products,

But mostly low quality products, low tech products, fake products,

And completely having no respect for copyrights.

Again,

Shame.

That’s why I don’t use our local LEGO forum (I’m not gonna name it) but focus on Eurobricks.

I don’t see creativity there.

This is sad. As a Chinese, I feel ashamed of it. But there is nothing I can do to change it.

Maybe as you speak chinese I could try to email them? It's probably worth a try.

Anyway nice words from you! I respect you and all your wonderful creations!