Sign in to follow this  
dulsi

[MOC] Tauntaun

For the past two years, we have included a small moc as a party favor for my son's birthday. Because it is being given away the price needs to be low (under $5 each). Last year my son requested an x-wing which can have a minifigure sit on it. This year he has requested a Star Wars land vehicle. Ideally I should probably use something from the new movie but I can't think of a land vehicle from the movie that I really like. I debated trying a creature from the arena in the prequels but the price limits the available articulation and I didn't feel any of them would be satisfactory. The tauntaun has the advantage of walking upright and not really needing articulate arms. A google search discovered Dave Eaton's Echo Base. I'm not 100% sure how his tauntauns are implemented but mine needed a reduced piece count anyway. This is my current attempt. I've tried to come up with better horns but haven't found anything as cheap.

1457838037m_DISPLAY.jpg

I've built a prototype in colors I have available to test it's strength. The current version holds together very well.

This is a good attempt, it reminds me a lot of cubedudes! I love the use of the guns for the horns. Try and disguise those black pins maybe change them to grey. The face is just too plane however maybe use some different techniques, look it up! Baronsat has made some excellent Star Wars animals, use some of his techniques, but make sure to give him credit!

This is a good attempt, it reminds me a lot of cubedudes! I love the use of the guns for the horns. Try and disguise those black pins maybe change them to grey. The face is just too plane however maybe use some different techniques, look it up! Baronsat has made some excellent Star Wars animals, use some of his techniques, but make sure to give him credit!

Don't forget the intention of who this is for, children to take home from a party. The grey pin might not provide enough friction for the stability the black pin can provide. The head looks fine considering you are doing it at a reduced/limited piece count. If as you say this holds up, I'd be more than happy with it!

Great job on making it smaller!

Here is the final version. I used some dark gray because I could order from less brinklink stores.

1466803834m_SPLASH.jpg

I always include an alternate build which doesn't include instructions. I tried building a rock structure but didn't like the end result so I made a spaceship.

14668037851_SPLASH.jpg

My youngest decided not to build the tauntaun. His first creation had a boat like look initially so I decided to see what could be done for that.

14668037862_SPLASH.jpg