ZCerberus

The Phantom

EDIT: Because of the new forum formatting, adding to pic to first post.

aphantom1309.jpg

Phred spotted a Phantom!

Phantom spotting

I was not sure what to call this ship, and I am still not sure, but I am starting to like "Phantom" actually!

Anyhow... these are very early shots of the bow, but i think it is forming nicely!!

pics anyone?

img_1658.jpg

img_1656.jpg

img_1651.jpg

Right now she is going to be red and black similar to the Arbiter II.

I want the over all feel to be the same, so expect some black statues and tan sails!

The Arbiter II in case you are new here...

aarbiter2.jpg

It is 26 studs wide on the deck, i might reach 28 or so at the base of the slope.

It will have 3 masts, and 44-56 guns. I am going to have to go custom for a bunch of the cannond, so I might have to dip into the index for some ideas!

Here's to hoping it turns out well!

Comments welcome!

Edited by ZCerberus

So are is that oblong of vertical plates on the upper-deck going to be a mast?

You certain have a knack for building these colossal ships Mr ZCerberus!

Hey Z,

Nice ship so far.

How many gun-decks are going to be on it?

That's a very unique build technique for a brick-built hull *y*

It seems to be working out so far. :)

Your cathead seems pretty flimsy though |-/

Do you have the Millennium Falcon (set #4504) or Jabba's Sail Barge?

This piece is included:2991.1089274342.jpg

It's what i used on the DDW to get a solidly mounted 45 degree angle on my cathead.

P

Phred spotted a Phantom!

Phantom spotting

I was not sure what to call this ship, and I am still not sure, but I am starting to like "Phantom" actually!

So the idea for the name came from this post?

Hmm. Sounds kool *sweet* *y* (about this theoredical ghost ship err... phantom ship :-D )

Is the ship literally going to be a phantom ship or is that an analogy for its stealthfulness?

How many gun-decks are going to be on it?

Just one. Another Frigate for me! Hence the reason I think I am only going to be able to swing 44 guns or so, barely more than the Arbiter II!

Then again, what I have built already has places for 12 guns, and add a couple chasers and I am up to 14 before you know it!

That's a very unique build technique for a brick-built hull *y*

It seems to be working out so far. :)

If there is one thing that I do, it is unique!

Your cathead seems pretty flimsy though |-/

I agree that it needs some stiffening... except it is not built out of bricks but vertical plates, so I can't really use that piece! I will figure something out.

So are is that oblong of vertical plates on the upper-deck going to be a mast?

Yes, that is the plan. They are going to be too tall for traditional mast pieces, so I wanted something that looked somewhat round.

You certain have a knack for building these colossal ships Mr ZCerberus!

Thank you Mister Admiral Phes

This will be my first attempt at building a brick-built hull, so we will see how it turns out!

Hopefully I won't completely run out of pieces!

So the idea for the name came from this post?

Is the ship literally going to be a phantom ship or is that an analogy for its stealthfulness?

Well if you recall from Master and Commander, they called the Acheron a phantom ship because it appeared out of nowhere and whipped their collective tails! I called it that in jest in that post when Phred asked if I was building one, but I had no pictures to shares at the time, so I just pretended he was crazy. But I don't know what I am going to call the ship yet, so we will stick with Phantom for now!

I recall acquiring 4 of the Master and Commander DVDs but I haven't got round to watching them yet. I was going to watch a Harryhausen DVD on the weekend but it didn't end up happening. I should be writing an art gallery review right now so I better get back to that for at least 5 minutes...

But first I'll ask a MOC related question... Are you going to find a way of "smoothing" out the stern or will you leave it "jaggered" as it is?

Wow, another ship by one of my favorite MOC builders!

And I notice a lot of revolutionary techniques being used.

I'll be closely following your progress on this one Z!

Wow, another ship by one of my favorite MOC builders!

And I notice a lot of revolutionary techniques being used.

I'll be closely following your progress on this one Z!

The pressure is on!!

I hope to make some progress tomorrow!

This sure looks like a promising ship mr. ZCerberus!

You must own a lot of tile-pieces being able to construct an entire hull out of them, I like the design, it looks pretty complicated and I wonder how sturdy it's going to be when finished.

The mast looks great. I assume that when it gets higher it's also getting slimmer working towards the top and will be supplied with some giant yard-arms.

When I look at the pictures it looks like you are making some rails to slide the decks open, is that true? And what pieces did you use to make the silver (?) accents on top of the bow?

Keep it up and keep us updated! *y*

Yes, pressure indeed. But someone has a new title X-D

What? Who has a new title? Oh me... interesting! wow, when did that happen?

You must own a lot of tile-pieces being able to construct an entire hull out of them, I like the design, it looks pretty complicated and I wonder how sturdy it's going to be when finished.

Yes, I wonder this myself!!

The mast looks great. I assume that when it gets higher it's also getting slimmer working towards the top and will be supplied with some giant yard-arms.

Yes, the will trim down. I am wondering if it will be small enough to use the Lego mats when I get higher up.

When I look at the pictures it looks like you are making some rails to slide the decks open, is that true? And what pieces did you use to make the silver (?) accents on top of the bow?

Yes, the decking has some slide rails, but due the the way they open, the sections will have have to be removed via technic pins first. :'-(

Silver accents? I think the camera angle me by playing tricks on you!

Silver accents? I think the camera angle me by playing tricks on you!

Ahh.... wait.... *adjusts the brightness of his M700 computerscreen from 0% to 100%...* I see, those are grey pieces... still nice, still nice. :-$

I made some progress. I am still not completely satisfied with the shaping of the bow, but it isn't terrible or anything.

I am also not sure about the figurehead on an Imperial ship... but I guess since I am considering calling it the Phantom, it might work...

img_1662.jpg

img_1686.jpg

img_1684.jpg

img_1677.jpg

How about calling it the Sea Ghost, or Spctere?

Well I think I will give it some sort of official name, but its nickname will be the Phantom. I am not sure i will keep the figurehead, though it is cool!

Maybe I can call it 'Charon' or something!

Okay... a few pictures... I have tests next week so updates may be a bit slow.

img_1691.jpg

img_1706.jpg

img_1705.jpg

The windlass lowers and riases both anchors at once.

img_1694.jpg

img_1700.jpg

The photos should only be 1024 x 768... the sizes should be updated soon I hope...

What? Who has a new title? Oh me... interesting! wow, when did that happen?

Tuesday as it were.

So is this going to be an Imperial Guard vessel or are they just on deck for viewing purposes? This ship looks too dark and evil for our dear Imperials.

Tuesday as it were.

So is this going to be an Imperial Guard vessel or are they just on deck for viewing purposes? This ship looks too dark and evil for our dear Imperials.

I agree, the evil level is higher than an Imperial ship should possess. I might tone down the figure head and what not, but it is far too large for a pirate vessel... Teach, Roberts and Phred are the only Pirates known for using large vessels..

Anyway, due to the balance of those two things.... it is going to be an Imperial ship, and may require me to make it look more regal and less menacing!

Wow, it looks lovely! I love it as it is very ornate! I would suggest a new figure head or at least lose the cyke. Can't wait to see it finished.

I would suggest a new figure head or at least lose the cyke.

Really? Even if the ship is named "Charon"??

Did you know Teach actually ran his ship aground whilst trieing to attack a Spanish (me thinks) harbour? Just a fact...

Looks great though, but I would change the figurehead though, it looks quite fake aswell for my liking.

I agree, the evil level is higher than an Imperial ship should possess. I might tone down the figure head and what not, but it is far too large for a pirate vessel... Teach, Roberts and Phred are the only Pirates known for using large vessels..

Anyway, due to the balance of those two things.... it is going to be an Imperial ship, and may require me to make it look more regal and less menacing!

How about a female figure head with a skull for a face :skel1: ?

Could use one of these types of hair if available:

x218.jpg * 40251.1119155671.jpg

I prefer the first one if you can get it in black *y*

P

Did you know Teach actually ran his ship aground whilst trieing to attack a Spanish (me thinks) harbour? Just a fact...

Looks great though, but I would change the figurehead though, it looks quite fake aswell for my liking.

Well I think I am changing the figure head because it doesn't fit with the ship more than anything else! I think I will use this figurehead on another ship.

Yeah, I think Blackbeard did ground one of his ship. I thought it was because it was rotting so he was just trying to get rid of it!

How about a female figure head with a skull for a face :skel1: ?

Well I think I am going to use another figurehead, I am just not sure what it will be yet!

I feel like such a goon when I double post! Oh well!!

So here is the progress, I didn't do much since I am studying for finals, but I added a railing and made a couple of cannons for the forecastle, both inside and on top... I have four different caliber guns now... the regular Lego cannons, some smaller guys on the main deck, some guns that are even smaller than that on the forecastle and some swivel guns on the railings.

Progress and cannons...

img_1712.jpg

img_1715.jpg

different caliber guns...

img_1716.jpg

swivel guns

img_1713.jpg

Location of the small guns (maybe they are long nines!!)

img_1714.jpg

Really? Even if the ship is named "Charon"??

Yeah. The figure head looks good, but the cyke kinda doesn't go well. Perhaps trying one of those knights as a figure head on for size?

The new progress pics look good!

Your new title is well deserved judging from these progress pictures!

This part of the ship contains already more details than most completed ships.