I would like to present my motorized and remote controlled (IR) version of this year's Monster Truck set (42005).

00000001.jpg

My first goal was to keep the overall look and dimensions the same as the official model:

00000002.jpg

The wheels, chassis and body are in the same positions, Only the axles, inner workings, and battery box have changed.

My second goal was to somehow get the vehicle to have both steering and 4WD:

00000006.jpg

00000007.jpg

As you can see above, I achieved the steering by making the entire front and rear axles turn via the use of gear racks and 6L links, while the drive goes through the ball joints, differentials, and portal hubs.

Steering is handled by a PF Servo Motor, while drive is handled by a PF L motor. It is powered by a PF Rechargeable Battery, and a PF IR Receiver V2.

My third goal was to increase the vehicles clearance as much as possible:

00000003.jpg

And my last goal was to maintain a good amount of articulation:

00000008.jpg

I had to modify the suspension attachment to allow an extra degree of movement to allow the suspension to operate smoothly. It runs quite well over small obstacles, however it is very top-heavy, so it does roll over quite easily. This isn't helped by the fact that as it turns, it leans outwards (opposite to how a skateboard works).

Here are the parts (guts) that I had to remove from the original model:

00000016.jpg

All pictures can be clicked on for larger versions at favicon.brickshelf.com.png Brickshelf (once moderated). Here are some more pics:

00000004.jpg_thumb.jpg 00000005.jpg_thumb.jpg 00000009.jpg_thumb.jpg 00000010.jpg_thumb.jpg 00000011.jpg_thumb.jpg 00000012.jpg_thumb.jpg 00000013.jpg_thumb.jpg 00000015.jpg_thumb.jpg 00000014.jpg_thumb.jpg

And last but not least, here is a link to the LDraw file: 42005_motorized_monster_truck.mpd

Overall I am pleased that I was able to get this motorized given that there was only a small space to work with, and the model is very sturdy.

I hope you like my motorized and RC 42005 Monster Truck. Any and all feedback/constructive criticism welcome.

Edit: I have submitted this MOC to favicon.rebrickable.com.png Rebrickable.

Edit: I have created a quick video:

Sorry about the audio quality - it was a very windy day!

Edited by Splat

Awesome design,the steering idea if a very cool approach.

And thanks for taking the time to make a digital model of it,perhaps Blakbird might make one of his spiny round renders of it. :tongue:

Do you plan on reworking reworking the instructions for your model,I did notice that they are a bit out of order.

Edited by Alasdair Ryan

Thank you everyone for your kind comments. :sweet:

I will try to take a video soon (work is very busy at the moment).

I have also submitted this MOC to favicon.rebrickable.com.png Rebrickable for anyone that want's to see the full parts list. If you notice any errors in the parts, please let me know.

I have created a short video of my motorized and remote controlled (IR) version of this year's Monster Truck set (42005).

Sorry about the audio quality - it was a very windy day!

As you can see, it can handle small-medium sized rocks and bumps, but it is top heavy so it flips over quite easily!

Looks really fun to play with, too bad its so top heavy! :thumbup: How long has this been sitting around before you posted this topic? I think you posted a pic of it a long time ago.

How long has this been sitting around before you posted this topic? I think you posted a pic of it a long time ago.

Hehe, yeah, it's taken a while for me to post this on Eurobricks.

I put this together at the beginning of September, and posted a 'teaser' pic on Flickr and more pics on Brickshelf.

Then life got really busy (major projects at work, family visiting from overseas, etc).

I've finally found a little bit of time to post it here and take a quick video.

Would there be any room to make the top half tilt the opposite way to the wheels using a small pf motor,or take it of the steering motor?

Would there be any room to make the top half tilt the opposite way to the wheels using a small pf motor,or take it of the steering motor?

The easiest way to make the monster truck lean to the other side while it steers would require that the ball joint on the front axle would be at the front, and the ball joint on the back axle would be at the back, similar to how a skateboard works. I'm not sure that this could be done easily without totally redesigning the chassis of the monster truck. At this size I only just managed to get the drive and steering in place.

Very nice! I like how you were able to accomplish 4wd and steering in a small space while keeping the original look and most of the original parts.

Edited by Technyk32231

Very good job... I'm just playing with my 42005. I have also motorized it but other way... I want also add second PF L Motor and make it so fast as possible. There's a lot of fun with this model, because it's light and fast... in comparison with 1:10 crawlers which are too slow...

Edited by MaxSupercars

Hello, great job you did, I like to ride the same. Could you send me the manual, because I am beginner and do not quite understand. Thank you.

Welcome to EB.

If you type 42005 into rebrickable, it will come up:

https://rebrickable....5-monster-truck

If you click the "Get MOC Building Instructions" buttons it will open a long text page. This is a tip: if you want to save the file: click the right button of your mouse on the "Get MOC Building Instructions" buttons after that, you click the save the link as. If you want to open the file you must have an LDRAW, this is the link.

Edited by KamalMYafi