Sign in to follow this  
PsyKater

Collection of LEGO Alphabet's

I used search engine, google search, flickr, but I could not find what I was looking for.

I am looking for an alphabet of brick-built letters. I have a specific one in my mind. I found several others, but not the one I was looking for. That's why I have to ask you. What LEGO alphabets do you know?

Is there already an index? If not, I could make an index of Lego alphabets in this first topic.

Okay, scratch that part. While I was looking for other fonts to add to my index draft below, I found the flickr group "Lego Alphabet". Maybe an index here, would help nevertheless. So if you are looking for inspiration for Lego Letters, you could always look here. What do you think?

Could still be, that I missed an existing index :grin:

My original request still stands. I am looking for a Lego Alphabet that looks quite similar to the empire sign of sonicstarlight's Empire Cinema. Any ideas?

Index draft:

Official Alphabets / Letters

852522 LEGO Letters Building System (2009)

852522-1.jpg

10182 Cafe Corner (Hotel sign)

AFOL Alphabets

"Lego Red" font by handmadefont

lego-red-preview.jpg

"Galaxy Diner", "Octan" and "Empire Cinema" by sonicstarlight

5607055086_f659a9c2a9_n.jpg

Galaxy Diner and Empire Theater by sonicstarlight, on Flickr

"The Lion" by Mad physicist

2981270806_2526e0175f.jpg

brick-built letters (3) by Mad physicist, on Flickr

"The corner shop" by Mad physicist

2981270906_a577f811eb.jpg

brick-built letters (4) by Mad physicist, on Flickr

Shop annies by Lego Monster

2464906840_74ebce8da4_m.jpg

Shop annies by Lego Monster, on Flickr

I'm pretty sure the argument has been discussed in this section too.

After a brief search inside the forum, here is some result:

- Making letters out of LEGO

- New set: Letters Building System

- A matematical puzzle for SNOTing

- Brick Lettering in LDD

Anyway, a topic that summarize techniques and styles is a good idea, if well done it could be added to the section index.

Are you available to gather stuff, create digital files and related screenshots to make a well ordered topic?

Yes, I think that would be possible. Not immediate of course, but I like organizing things like that. I will update my first post accordingly.

This is an interesting question. Just the other day I was thinking to make a feature in LDD Manager that will do texting. My situation was that I find that sometimes I use LDD to lay out bricks on the scene that I should order in LDD (EDIT: BL I mean) - just to get the overview. And then I need to "write" some simple text in bricks and put next to the bricks, like "ordered", "pending" etc. And then I thought, this should be really easy to do programatically - just a dialog box to specify text and choice of font, and then generate the LXF.

This is an interesting question. Just the other day I was thinking to make a feature in LDD Manager that will do texting. My situation was that I find that sometimes I use LDD to lay out bricks on the scene that I should order in LDD - just to get the overview. And then I need to "write" some simple text in bricks and put next to the bricks, like "ordered", "pending" etc. And then I thought, this should be really easy to do programatically - just a dialog box to specify text and choice of font, and then generate the LXF.

Here you go.

Fonts start about 2/3 of the way down, there's studs facing viewer, studs up, studs sideways (vertical), and a "mixed" version. pirate_thumbup.gif

This is really a great source for the Modular style letters, based on a standard design. But it could be difficult to let the program create the right fixations and SNOT elements. If you only want to create a digital text in bricks, you could use 1x1 tiles and "snot" them though.

First, I meant "order in BL" off couse, not LDD :facepalm:

Secondly, the letters themselves would not be generated programmatically, only putting them together to a string. So it would work like a TrueType font library does.

I'm playing around now with some code to capture the letter from an LDD-file (using groups) and then put them in a lookup table. Shall be interesting to see if it works. :classic: