Sign in to follow this  
finnbricker

MOD: Modular Toy &Grocery Shop 31036

Still disappointed with 31036 Toy & Grocery, but I'm not giving up. And after playing around with LDD for a few hours, I'm a little less disappointed. There is, after all, potential to modularize this as a 16-wide.

The two-floor version (612 pc) only needs one set plus basic bricks. The three floor version (780 pc) obviously needs extra windows, an extra staircase etc.

640x474.jpg

640x474.jpg

Since the shop is too small for a grocery, I'm thinking of making it a bag & purse shop. A place to put all those Friends handbags... Another alternative would be to make it a toy store, but I have the TRU and at some point, I want to make a Lego store, too, so I think the toys of 31036 will be placed in the GE toys department.

Which one do you think looks better? Any additions or details? All feedback is welcome!

Okay, so this is what I started with. One set was well enough for the 2-storey version, but I ended up getting an extra set and building a third floor. It's still a WIP, though.

640x835.jpg

The window decorations are not completed; I'm waiting for a PAB order and after that, I still need some tan cheeses. The ground floor storefront is empty (or nearly empty, I've temporarily put the 31036 minibuilds there). It will ultimately be a bags & accesories store. The chewing gum machine will remain, though.

640x831.jpg

640x867.jpg

From the side, you can see that the sand green facade is sort of a charade, all the other walls are white on the ground floor as well.

640x946.jpg

I'm quite satisfied with the backside. The ground floor is a little plain since I want to use the back wall of the store for shelves.

640x590.jpg

640x468.jpg

The second floow interior is borrowed from Olivia's house 3315. There's room for the huge TV, the sofa and some lamps on the wall. The small stand by the stairs is a 31036 original design. Sadly no room for a refigerator in the open kitchen.

640x612.jpg

The bedroom is on the third floor. All the furniture is from Olivia's house 3315 except for the lamp, which is from 3136, where it featured as a (very small) street lamp.

The two grey flat 1x1 round tiles will be removed after I receive one more tan grille 1x2.

Nice seeing your digital redo brick built 'finnbricker'.......it will work quite well with Market Street or Green Grocer next to it. :wink:

Brick On 'finnbricker' ! :grin:

Nice! I would actually like to see this with the back windows on the front of the buildings. I think the yellow flowers would work nicely with the yellow in the awning.

You did a fantastic job capturing the details from the original set! I agree with Kristel, some flowers out front would really stand out nice in front.

I've been playing around with trying to make a modular out of the set myself. You've definitely set the bar high.

Thanks for your kind comments, everyone!

LT, unfortunately I don't have the MS or GG. But I think this will sit nicely next to DO or PS, too.

Kristel and Mdgas, point taken! When I get that PAB order, I'll modify the façade too, and place some flowers at least on the third floor. The second floor is trickier because I intend to place a sign (BAGS) above the awning.

Great work...I like how you have detailed your facade, and agree with the above observations that the flowers and other slight amendments will really make the front elevation pop!

My only point would be the roof, the front gable detail looks a bit detached and plain, with not much happening on the flat roof behind. I feel you should emphasise it with more detail and structure. Look at 'Flemmish' architectural styles & Gable detail such as:

wp7ad3e249_0f.jpg

2094550437_6ce8356c12_b.jpg

5880107821_a629a2d3b5.jpg

Even though there is an ornate front to the building, there is still a roof form set back behind it...more often than not, pitched. This could open up another level of accommodation for you too!

Can't wait to see what you come up with!

:wink:

Edited by gazumpty

Thanks! Someone needs to do something with this set. It just looks ugly to me. I will pass.

Can I get the LXF for that?

Sure! I'm glad you like it.

I just don't know how to get that file to you. I tried so send you a PM but it didn't work, probably because the system requires you to have a certain number of posts before you can use it. And I would upload it here but I don't know how to do it...

Could anyone help us?

Very cool. Like any great MOC, you kept true to the spirit of the color/style - while creating all the core features necessary for a modular-grade build. If Lego had designed the set the way you did here, I'd have definitely been a buyer of it!

Thanks, AirborneAFOL, for your very kind words. My suggestion is, go ahead and get the set. Hell, get two! And make a modular of it. Feel free to copy any of my ideas, create you rown ideas and show us the result!

I've now furnished the bag shop on the ground floor, but some tiles are still missing from the floor. I've also added some flowers to the façade and of course a BAGS sign, but I still need the tan cheeses for the window decorations. I'll post pictures of the completed building after everything is finalized.

Edited by finnbricker

It's about time to finally complete this so I can start concentrating on how to modularize the Corner Deli 31050...

800x1000.jpg

The façade now has flowers by the top floor windows, as suggested by Kristel and Mdgas, plus a Bags sign (which prevents flowers on the 2nd floor). There's still one lonely tan cheese missing.

The Tourist Kiosk 41098 is situated next door (actually two of them, to make a complete kiosk without a missing back wall), but this is only temporary. I don't have a place for my layout, so everything is just stacked away in cardboard boxes. Once I can actually build a layout the kiosk will be in a 4-baseplate park and the empty lot here will be used for another 16-wide building.

800x881.jpg

800x806.jpg

The bag shop is also fully furnished with lots of Friends bags and backpacks in different colours, as well as some bows on the wall. The register is an original from 31036. There's a toilet hidden below the stairs and a sink in the little hallway leading from the shop to the backyard.

this is making me want to buy 2 sets now and do something like this.

i really like this design but would change it from a bag shop to something different.

these sets look awesome as modulars as they dont look out of place.

the corner deli looks a nice little set also.

would definitely buy 2 of them and make a big pizzeria or something out of it. maybe like a pizza hut.

love the design :)

I will be happy to share the LXF file. It's not 100 % accurate, but I believe the photos here and the file, when used together, will give you a pretty good idea how to modularize the 31036. Please send me a PM with your email address and I'll send you the file per email.

I will be happy to share the LXF file. It's not 100 % accurate, but I believe the photos here and the file, when used together, will give you a pretty good idea how to modularize the 31036. Please send me a PM with your email address and I'll send you the file per email.

Thanks!

It looks like I can't send PM's

Hope you can send me our LXF.

Regards

Edited by flsikorski