Raskolnikov

[MOC] Imperial Interdictor Cruiser - The IIC Constrictor

So, here's the first support vessel to go along with the ISD Tyrant: an Imperial Interdictor Cruiser called the IIC Constrictor.

I sort of mix-and-matched features from the Rebels Interdictor and the Immobilizer 418 from the old expanded universe (a ship which is now technically canon, again -- but we don't really know what it looks like or how big it is).

A couple more pictures and some more detailed descriptions are on flickr or imgur (http://imgur.com/gallery/fEz3X)

Feedback is welcome -- when a build isn't 70 lbs, you can actually change things if you want to, which is nice.

27505615203_f13e134a64_c.jpgImperial Interdictor Cruiser: The IIC Constrictor by raskolnikov268, on Flickr

27505837034_de4891d683_c.jpgClose-up by raskolnikov268, on Flickr

27505836804_febc6d90b4_c.jpgComparison with 2014 Star Destroyer by raskolnikov268, on Flickr

28120587905_6f7e1e8601_c.jpgComparison with ISD Tyrant by raskolnikov268, on Flickr

27505835564_384429837d_c.jpgStern by raskolnikov268, on Flickr

27505834864_32ba7e4677_c.jpgInterior 1 by raskolnikov268, on Flickr

27505834254_8f195d6e2d_c.jpgInterior 2 by raskolnikov268, on Flickr

28120585825_ca02705365_c.jpgInterior 3 by raskolnikov268, on Flickr

28120585425_4ec568092d_c.jpgImperial Fleet by raskolnikov268, on Flickr

Edited by Raskolnikov

Neat! Everything looks spot on! But maybe the thrusters look a bit artificial, poking out on tat back side without any greebling around.

Great build!

Like krisandkris12 said, I'd add some greeblings to the rear, and if possible on the tower, it looks a bit too plain.

Very good work, perfectly in style with your Tyrant. I admire your ability to blend an accurate and detailed exterior with the theatrical value of a rich interior, as seen in the Tyrant itself. This makes your MOCs not only beautiful to see, but also exciting to explore in all their features, in contrast with other great MOCs that, though, are limited to their superficial appearance.

Moreover, the photos of the interior really convey the feeling and atmosphere of a movie scene, with the crew intent to operate the gravity wells.

Edited by Arthur Schopenhauer

I like the big round parts, and the interior is a nice touch. That big rectangle with grooves on the back does look a little plain.

Great work ! I remember the Interdictor ships from the old Empire at War game..they were used to disable the enemy ships so that the SD's could destroy them weren't they ? Like the look of the gravity well generators, and the scale looks perfect against your Tyrant

Great work ! I remember the Interdictor ships from the old Empire at War game..they were used to disable the enemy ships so that the SD's could destroy them weren't they ? Like the look of the gravity well generators, and the scale looks perfect against your Tyrant

They were actually used to prevent the enemy from retreating by hyperspace—no survivors! :devil:

Great work Raskolnikov, I especially like the gravity well generator bubbles and the greebling done in the middle surrounded by the wedge plates!

Thanks everyone!

I especially like the gravity well generator bubbles and the greebling done in the middle surrounded by the wedge plates!

Yeah, I'd say the shape of the ship is mostly influenced by the Immobilizer 418, but the greebling down the top center and the raised terraces flanking it are inspired by the Rebels variant (although it's less textured). There's a pic of the Rebels one here: http://starwarsrebels.wikia.com/wiki/Imperial_Interdictor

I probably would have used more features from the Rebels variant if I could, but I liked the way the Immobilzer was supposed to be 600m, which would make for a manageable project if made to scale with the Tyrant. I also liked the much more pronounced gravity well generators on most depictions of the Immobilizer. And I had to go with the Immobilizer on the underside, since the Rebels variant is absurdly complex and would really cramp the interior space.

maybe the thrusters look a bit artificial, poking out on tat back side without any greebling around.
I'd add some greeblings to the rear, and if possible on the tower

I'll try to do that -- I'm not terribly satisfied with the back end either. I can't add too much weight, though, or it'll get out of balance. I also have been thinking about increasing the overall length by a smidgeon, like 3 studs, to better cover up the back panels. That would definitely put it out of balance and would require moving the stand and carry handle. It might also necessitate moving some of the gravity well generators slightly. So one of these days I might just revamp the back end completely, if I can't just touch it up.

I also considered doing the greebling along the sides entirely in dark bluish gray (but didn't, for reasons), in which case I could have added dark bluish gray greebled bands to the engine section as well.

It is a great representation of an Interdictor, but like others have said, the engines and maybe the bridge (IMO) need a few greebles added. And the interior is a cool touch. Well done!

Superb creation, Raskolnikov! It hits all of the right marks just like your Tyrant, but only on a smaller scale, which might make this creation slightly more impressive. It also makes sure you're creating a very coherent fleet. I hope you continue expanding it. And then you should take it to a convention to display it side by side with mortesv's equally awesome Rebel fleet for the ultimate space battle. Make it happen guys! :grin:

All joking aside, I do like this creation a ton. The shaping is exquisite, which is remarkable since a part of the design comes from your own imagination. The resulting ship looks like a very coherent design though, arguably even stronger than the designs it was inspired off! That's because your central trench of details stops before the point which gives the ship a bit of tension, like it's lurching, preparing to jump forward. The paneling surrounding the greebled trench give it a similar lurching look: the fact that they form a little overhang with those shadows beneath makes the ship mysterious and makes you wonder about the parts you don't see. Good call! The stripes on the bridge and the little extra angle that makes the tips pointy give the ship an aggressive look, even though it doesn't have a lot of weapons on display. Those extra "meridians" on the spheres and protrusions of the body give the ship a more interesting and strong look as well. So you get all of my praise like with your Tyrant, but get my extra admiration for so judiciously redesigning this Interdictor while keeping the Star Wars essence!

The attention to details on the parts you did base on the source material are of course lovely as well. I dig the use of the new disc shooter pieces as perfect translation of the source material. And the shaping of the bridge, especially with those sweet angles at the base of it look incredible. The other greebles are great, especially considering how little room you had because it all has to open up. The Technic handle blends in rather well, although it might have been even better concealed if you incorporated similar Technic units in the greebles, or sprinkled some greebles on top of the handle. Other areas that might be a little improved would be the engine section (as has been discussed expertly above) and the bottom of the ship, which might have done well with some more unique cutout shapes like on the Rebels version, although I see that that would be hard to incorporate with your interior and all.

Speaking of interior, I really didn't expect one, even though I know what you achieved with your Tyrant. Once again, I'm stunned by how you manage to incorporate such a wonderful interior without any exterior or structural (judging by the handle) compromises. It's also remarkable how you keep every interior section so clean. Even the Technic parts of the frame look like they're deliberate details depicting the framework of the ship! Maybe some interior greebling depicting more of the mechanics of the ship would pull it to a next level, with cables and pipes connecting the sensors, controls and weapons. It's not that you don't have some room left :wink: ! If you could pull that off, you would be the first to achieve the "Star Wars cross sections" style I love so much in a MOC. Maybe I'm expecting too much, but when I see you building such creations with detailled interiors and room to spare, you make me dream...

Congratulations with and thanks for your stunning MOCs once again, which belong to the best in the theme with their beautifully executed (and designed!) shapes, details and interiors. Especially with that handle, you make it look like the set TLG is always trying to recreate, but never even comes close to. So keep expanding your fleet with stunning creations to keep inspiring us!

9223072399_3ef10becf7_o.png

I'm starting to really enjoy reading your detailed write-ups, Beaver -- even if you tend to be about a month behind schedule. :)

Other areas that might be a little improved would be the engine section (as has been discussed expertly above)

So both the Constrictor and Tyrant were at Brickfair, and I managed to make a couple very minor updates to the Constrictor's engines and bridge before I went. I haven't taken any new pictures of it myself, but while browsing some other people's Brickfair pictures I found a good one:

28768027332_be2339c84f_b.jpgVA BrickFair 2016 Pop Culture by EDWW day_dae (esteemedhelga)â„¢, on Flickr

It also makes sure you're creating a very coherent fleet. I hope you continue expanding it.

Heh, a 32-inch Victory-class is well on its way. The goal with this one is to basically do a user-friendly, smaller, and less overbuilt version of the Tyrant. I'm trying to build it in LDD as well, so once it's done I'll either learn to make directions or have someone else help me with them. The directions will be to build an Imperial-class, since way more people would probably want that, but I'll keep my version as a VSD (the ships are almost identical apart from the easily altered "wings" and bridge).

And then you should take it to a convention to display it side by side with mortesv's equally awesome Rebel fleet for the ultimate space battle. Make it happen guys! :grin:

I'd love that -- that dang Atlantic Ocean does make it difficult, though.

and the bottom of the ship, which might have done well with some more unique cutout shapes like on the Rebels version, although I see that that would be hard to incorporate with your interior and all.

Yeah, the shaping on that is really interesting, and I'd say the Constrictor mostly draws from the Rebels version already. It'd just be really hard to get that shaping right and still have any space inside the ship. Since it's hard to see the bottom when it's displayed anyway, I took the easy way out for once. If someone were to do a Rebels version right, I think it'd have to be a much larger ship. I wanted to stick with a smaller, Immobilizer 418-sized project, though.

Maybe some interior greebling depicting more of the mechanics of the ship would pull it to a next level, with cables and pipes connecting the sensors, controls and weapons. It's not that you don't have some room left

So yeah, I like that idea and messed around with it a little. If you look you can see four big "blank" spaces in the interior, where you can see the bottom panels. I was going to put stuff there -- like tubing or something to represent "cut-away gravity generators" -- but it turns out that you can't fit much at all there because the L-shaped liftarms for the top panels would run into it. When the ship is closed up, those L-shaped liftarms go below the level of the interior "deck" and are virtually touching the bottom panels. So I might be able to add some flexible hoses in a couple places, but a lot of the space is already used up.

I dig the use of the new disc shooter pieces as perfect translation of the source material.

Thanks! You're the only one who mentioned those, I think. That was one of the very first ideas I had for the Constrictor that helped get it going. No joke, I basically set out to build an interdictor that used eighth spheres for the generators and disc shooters along the side. I also wanted the ship to be a test of a lighter, easier to access version of the Tyrant's basic frame (the frames create the same angles and repeat some of the same patterns).

Anyway, thanks again for the great feedback!

Thanks for the insightful answers, Raskolnikov! They make me appreciate your creation even more :classic:

I'm starting to really enjoy reading your detailed write-ups, Beaver -- even if you tend to be about a month behind schedule. :)

Thanks a lot :blush: ! I'm a month behind schedule because I could blog less during exams and not while I was away on holiday, and I just can't bring myself to skip the wonderful creations that came in the meantime, so I have quite the backlog that I can only very slowly work away. But hey, these MOCs don't get worse by letting them wait for a month. In fact, I'd argue that looking at a creation, not thinking about it for a month and then looking at it again makes you see more and therefore appreciate the creation better! So I'm not to worried about it, which certainly isn't good news for my backlog :laugh:

So both the Constrictor and Tyrant were at Brickfair, and I managed to make a couple very minor updates to the Constrictor's engines and bridge before I went. I haven't taken any new pictures of it myself, but while browsing some other people's Brickfair pictures I found a good one:

<snip>

O, nice modification: it certainly makes the back more interesting. However, the engines still look a little bit disconnected: I think you need more things like that 1x1 cone to bridge the gap. Potentially, you could place some grey Technic axles in that wheel and hold it together with a rubber band to fill up the gap nicely.

Heh, a 32-inch Victory-class is well on its way. The goal with this one is to basically do a user-friendly, smaller, and less overbuilt version of the Tyrant. I'm trying to build it in LDD as well, so once it's done I'll either learn to make directions or have someone else help me with them. The directions will be to build an Imperial-class, since way more people would probably want that, but I'll keep my version as a VSD (the ships are almost identical apart from the easily altered "wings" and bridge).

Sounds like a very promising addition to your fleet! I have been reading up on Imperial technology lately, and a treatise on walkers told me that there are no known depictions of ships carrying AT-ATs... maybe such a ship would be a perfect "smaller" compliment to your fleet, and it would challenge your design skills I now know you have!

As for instructions of your LDD model: I've never done anything like that before, but I do know that practically your only viable option is to use Blueprint. I've heard some very positive things about it.

So yeah, I like that idea and messed around with it a little. If you look you can see four big "blank" spaces in the interior, where you can see the bottom panels. I was going to put stuff there -- like tubing or something to represent "cut-away gravity generators" -- but it turns out that you can't fit much at all there because the L-shaped liftarms for the top panels would run into it. When the ship is closed up, those L-shaped liftarms go below the level of the interior "deck" and are virtually touching the bottom panels. So I might be able to add some flexible hoses in a couple places, but a lot of the space is already used up.

I could have known someone like you would already have thought of that! I was a bit confused as to how the Technic pieces hinged, but now it's clear to me, and I see how little room it leaves for details. The only way I can think of to add details there, would be to have movable panels. So that when you open up the ship, you can hinge down panels with details. It's cumbersome, but you get the details. If you really want to be fancy, you could always try to invent a mechanism that moves the greeble panels automatically into place while you open up the big panels. Maybe something with strings or levers. The Technic handle and the motorized cannons on your Tyrant show that you have the necessary skill, so if you have nothing better to do... :grin:

Once again thanks for the time to craft such insightful answers. And thanks for the teaser as to what we can look forward to (and blog :wink: ) in the future!

Your ships - including the interior designs - capture the "imperial feeling" very well.

In my dreams I'd build whole fleets with these ships :wub:

I'd be interessted how a mod/moc of the latest official ISD would turn out in your hands.

Looks really great! I can't wait to see more of your Imperial fleet. It makes me want to make my own!

I was fan of the Tyrant already but then seeing a truly original design is so great, particularly when built with such impressive skills. You have done a great job at reproducing the legendary Interdictor. The fact that you mixed both the Immobilizer and the Rebel versions does not bother me at all. The global design is great. Having it with a detailed interior and to scale with the Tyrant only adds further to the cheers.

Excellent MOC, great design choice, splendid execution. It only deserved to be blogged.

Could you make instructions, PLEASE! Maybe you could pay off Legolijntje again? Something? Must Build!

It's not out of the question for someday.  But it'd be a ways off in the future -- I have a lot going on at the moment, and when I've gotten free time lately I've been dumping it into the new Zelda game, sorry! 

That's epic, super cool.

I really enjoy all the greebling on the top, and the sides. 

Love that you included an interior, executed so well.

Great work.

Following our private conversation, Rasko how many pieces is this roughly?

And are you still planning in releasing the instructions or even the incomplete LDD you were working on?