anothergol

[MOC] Another AT-ST version 4.5

I just finished building your V1 about a week ago! I love it!!!! I am however waiting on the parts to build the stand. While it stands up just fine by itself i dont want to take a chance and have the model fall off my dresser. Thank you for sharing!

This thing just gets better and better!

Edited by Frike

I absolutely love this! I really want to build one at some point. You've done an incredible job designing this AT-ST. Well done!

Edited by ZackSchnepf

Thank you very much for sharing the LXF file. I've built your v1, which I thought was great: and I am very much looking forward to upgrading it to the even-better-looking v2 :classic: .

This is an amazing MOC! AT-ST's are so finicky to get right in lego and you did an impeccable job. I would say my only issue with it is the way the head seems to connect to the hull and legs. The head feels like it's squished into the main hull and not prominent enough. Again the head, hull, and legs are all amazing it's just the connection between said parts that bothers me a little. Besides that perfection on mechanical legs!

BTW you've done a much better AT-ST then I ever could hope too so I hope I don't sound too critical!

Edited by Forresto

thanks

Again the head, hull, and legs are all amazing it's just the connection between said parts that bothers me a little.

If you mean at the back, it's because I (on purpose) angled the head back.

The distance between body & head however is only a matter of picking another axle length, but I tried to guess the best one from the blueprint & movie, even though the head does seem to stand higher on Bandai's kit.

I did try +0.5 axle length and it's still ok, but +1 looks too much.

Star-Wars-All-Terrain-Scout-Transport-Blueprint.gif

AT-ST_v2_LXF.jpg

Here the head sits rather low too. & actually I see many parts that don't look like Bandai's kit.

tumblr_nts5l5wJYU1qbhhsgo1_1280.jpg

Also if you take a look at the legs of the blueprint, the ones on the model with the crew, the ones in the battle of Hoth, I think it becomes clear that there are several versions of it. The lowest segment of the leg on the last pic clearly doesn't match the blueprint.

Oh and I've already made 3 photoshoots of this thing, I keep forgetting to make one with an egg.

Edited by anothergol

thanks

If you mean at the back, it's because I (on purpose) angled the head back.

The distance between body & head however is only a matter of picking another axle length, but I tried to guess the best one from the blueprint & movie, even though the head does seem to stand higher on Bandai's kit.

I did try +0.5 axle length and it's still ok, but +1 looks too much.

Here the head sits rather low too. & actually I see many parts that don't look like Bandai's kit.

Also if you take a look at the legs of the blueprint, the ones on the model with the crew, the ones in the battle of Hoth, I think it becomes clear that there are several versions of it. The lowest segment of the leg on the last pic clearly doesn't match the blueprint.

Oh and I've already made 3 photoshoots of this thing, I keep forgetting to make one with an egg.

Well any qualm I had dissipated with that LDD picture of the MOC's profile. I think it was maybe the angles from the original post that made the head appear squished a little more then it was. I would say it's basically a perfect MOC at this point knowing the head rests higher then it appeared. Very nice job and research as well! Now If only TLC could emulate yours the next time they make an AT-ST because I doubt theres anyway to make one better then yours.

It's amazing how much you learn about a Star Wars vehicle from trying to recreate it in Lego. You must have every detail of the different AT-ST models used in the movies memorized by now. I'm working on a Star Destroyer and going through a similar process. I've noticed details about those ships that never would have occurred to me otherwise.

Anyway, great job on the new version. I already bought some parts with the intention of building your previous version but I hadn't yet gotten around to it. Still on the to-do list, though.

It's amazing how much you learn about a Star Wars vehicle from trying to recreate it in Lego. You must have every detail of the different AT-ST models used in the movies memorized by now.

Yeah, but I also keep in mind that it won't matter for most people. It only has to look like what people remember of it, afterall.

I still don't know/understand the reason for the differences between the blueprint & the actual models, though. Apparently the above blueprint shows the body of the Endor version, & the legs would be the ones of the Hoth version. It's possible that the legs ended up being a problem as they started making tests, and they shortened them, but later they reused the longer legs which had already been made?

Funny thing, in a BL order I got this cool bike helmet in LBG, and I was wondering where I could use this on the AT-ST. Would have been nice on the sides of the legs, but it's a little too deep. Then on the above pic, with the crew, I noticed the AT-ST actually has a part that looks just like this, bottom row, in the middle. But I wasn't seeing it anywhere. So I inspected the Bandai model, and it's there, underneath the body, all hidden. Would be a waste of time to try to fit this where it can't be seen, but it's funny how sometimes the right part exists in Lego.

s-l300.jpg

Same behind the legs, there's a part that looks just like this, & yet it didn't look right when I tried to fit it.

produto_Foto1_8268490.jpg

Edited by anothergol

I cannot wait to build this. Very generous of you to share the files!

How does the stability of v2 compare with v1? Does it have as much of a need for a stand?

As for the stability, v1 had the issue that the head would fall too easily. So at first I moved the head's joint up (not just for stability, it makes more sense), and I added a high-friction extender.

Turns out that it worked a bit too well, it was very hard to turn the head, and worse, as the extender was taking the room for solidity parts, there was more chance to disassemble the thing when trying to rotate it.

So I removed the extender, and apparently moving the joint up was enough to keep it stable.

However the head weights more, because of the addition of more solidity parts (which are optional), so it's more stress on the legs. But now the only risk is the whole thing falling forward or backwards, on the feet's joints, if it hasn't been centered properly.

Just like the previous one, it's never gonna fall over time, even if you have traffic vibrations. But if you knock it or shake the table hard, yeah it's gonna fall.

24679912971_a7efe0c608_z_d.jpg

Awesome V2 ! Thank you very much for sharing the LXF file.

On another note I was intrigued about your base, took me all day to find a way to close it on the inside

Very nice, I love it !

Gil

post-154450-0-47980200-1454787715_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gil

Do you happen to have a Bricklink friendly parts list for either version? This is going to be my next build project. Amazing job once again on this.

Do you happen to have a Bricklink friendly parts list for either version? This is going to be my next build project. Amazing job once again on this.

yes, version 1 is still on Rebrickable, and there are tools available to extract lists from LXF files

Hi, I joined this forum because this looks fantastic, and I want to build it. But I cant figure out how to open that lxf file you linked in the browser, anyone here can help me, or link me a guide?

Hi, I joined this forum because this looks fantastic, and I want to build it. But I cant figure out how to open that lxf file you linked in the browser, anyone here can help me, or link me a guide?

I just double-clicked it and it opened in LDD.