Sign in to follow this  
sharky

Legoland Discovery Center, Atlanta

Strangely, I just found out today about a Legoland Discovery Center that is opening this weekend in Atlanta, GA. I have heard very little info about this beforehand. I have checked out the website, and I will surely be making plans to visit. I don't think I'll be able to make it to the Grand Opening this weekend unfortunately.

http://atlanta.legolanddiscoverycenter.com/atlanta/

I was hoping others that have been to a Legoland Discovery Center Grand Opening event could let me know if they offer any exclusive sets or any kind of special promotional sets during the grand opening.

Also, do these stores typically have an exclusive set. For example, I heard that in the Lego flagship store in New York there is a Lego apple and a new polybag Statue of Liberty set that you can only buy at that store in Rockefeller Center in New York.

I didn't realise these things were so similar. I've only been to our local one in Manchester, UK and the layout is pretty much identical. In my opinion the whole experience is very, very underwhelming to say the least, but it's worth visiting once to see the small mini-land.

That said the kid and I do have a season pass because it's so close, he loves the movies and it's always an option on a rainy day. Well.... I tell his mum that's the reason, but actually it's because of the 10% discount at the Lego Shop. We don't have any exclusive exclusives at ours, but they have a good selection including some hard to find and expensive sets that are rarely discounted online. They get some of the seasonal sets and polybags as well. One thing that's a bit annoying is that it is "LEGO Shop" (and a good one) but it is not actually a "LEGO Store" and as such doesn't get any of the "LEGO Store" events and promotions.

I didn't go to the opening, but they sometimes have promotional bricks for events. They're the size of two 4X2 bricks on top of each other with something to do with the event printed on the side. Some examples here: http://allaboutbricks.blogspot.com/2011/11/promotional-lego-bricks-at-legoland.html

Thanks for the info. From the web page I can tell it is geared toward the younger crowd. Since it's so close to me I will definitely check it out. I'm sure my daughter will have fun. I was talking to a guy I know that works at a local Lego store, and he said that they sometimes dig out some old merchandise that they somehow overlooked and put them in the shop. So, it may be worth it to check out the shop to see if there is any nice surprises. Nothing too old, though, but perhaps a few retired sets from a year or 2 ago that are hard to find at retail.