Mos_Eisley

The Emperor's Christmas Arrival

Since it was Christmas Eve and construction of Death Star I was ahead of schedule, Vader thought he would surprise the Emperor with the Christmas formation he had devised. Fortunately, Vader had a lot of leftover AstroTurf from the driving range that was being installed on Level 47 by a group of entrepreneurial Jawas, who were nice enough to help out with the formation.

It would be the last time the old clone armor would be seen as all units would be required to where the new Imperial Stormtrooper armor come January 1.

xmascontest1.jpg

I didn't get to do everything I wanted to do with this as I just ran out of time! I don't have any other pictures posted yet and won't for a while since I'm headed out of town. Good luck to all the entrants and thank you KimT, Eurobricks and our guest judges!

*huh**oh2*:oh: That looks fantastic, to tell you the truth, I also had something like this planned, but because of the lack of figures I own, it was impossible..

Best of luck on the contest but I'm sure you won't need it :sweet:

Once again, fantastic...

Edited by ceroknight

Now that's impressive, and a show-off of your massive SW minifig collection Mos_Eisley! :tongue: Seriously, I like the concept, and great job on positioning all those figs and effectively taking this bird's eye-view shot. Good luck in the contest! :thumbup:

I would argue that this is a bit sick. You've done a superlative job here. Is the Christmas tree shape natural?

Ridiculously good... idea, set up and photo! I shan't wish you luck as you do not need it! :tongue:

I know your only allowed one picture but you should really link to some alternative views, I'd love to see them.

I know your only allowed one picture but you should really link to some alternative views, I'd love to see them.

actually the rules said that a folder can be linked for more images but It is the main image that will be judged.

In this case I want to see some great DOF over the heads of the stormies.

What an awesome display!!!

*huh* "jeezuuuztittyfu!"#!¤"

That's a jaw-dropping picture.

I have to admit that is an impressive array of Imperials. And the setup is done very well. But I'm not so sure that it's going to win first place. It is, after all, just a MOC. A beautiful MOC, to be sure, but there isn't much artistry to the photography itself, and that's what this contest is supposed to be about.

Then again, I am neither Fenris nor Smokebelch, so I have no idea what they will be judging on. They could prove me wrong.

There's a stunning amount of chrome stormies there, though. I'm a bit jealous.

You seriously blow me away every time you enter competitions Mos_Eisley! :wub:

Amazing entry and good luck in the contest!

CF

It is, after all, just a MOC. A beautiful MOC, to be sure, but there isn't much artistry to the photography itself, and that's what this contest is supposed to be about.

I've seen this comment in a couple other entries, but aren't all the entries "just" MOCs? The parameters of the contest are very broad from what I can tell from reading the contest rules. I think the contest is looking for well photographed MOCs. Of course, it doesn't matter what I think since I'm not voting. If by artistry you mean there isn't a minifigure in the foreground with something else going on in the background with various light sources, then yes, this fails. If the contest was supposed to just be close-ups of minifigures doing stuff, again it fails. I like that it isn't just like the rest of the entries.

I've seen this comment in a couple other entries, but aren't all the entries "just" MOCs? The parameters of the contest are very broad from what I can tell from reading the contest rules. I think the contest is looking for well photographed MOCs. Of course, it doesn't matter what I think since I'm not voting. If by artistry you mean there isn't a minifigure in the foreground with something else going on in the background with various light sources, then yes, this fails. If the contest was supposed to just be close-ups of minifigures doing stuff, again it fails. I like that it isn't just like the rest of the entries.

You're right, all of the entries are "just MOCs". And the contest rules were deliberately vague (I think). But the judges have taken some amazing LEGO photos over the last year or so, playing with different lighting, camera angles, natural locations and other effects. And that is what this contest is about, at least the way I read it. Having a nice subject can't hurt, but I think the judges will look for someone who pushed the art of the photograph, rather than made a nice subject and took a picture of it. That's why I think there are several photos that are likely ahead of this one when judging time comes around.

If the contest were about the MOC, I'd say this one would be a front runner. But in a contest about the photograph and not the MOC, I don't think it quite makes it. It's still a fantastic MOC, no question about it.

I have to admit that is an impressive array of Imperials. And the setup is done very well. But I'm not so sure that it's going to win first place. It is, after all, just a MOC. A beautiful MOC, to be sure, but there isn't much artistry to the photography itself, and that's what this contest is supposed to be about.

Then again, I am neither Fenris nor Smokebelch, so I have no idea what they will be judging on. They could prove me wrong.

There's a stunning amount of chrome stormies there, though. I'm a bit jealous.

I totally agree with you, Walter!

Like you said, the contest isn't about the most amazing MOC but rather about the most amazing photography. And judging from the photographic aspect, it's not that amazing. Just a pretty normal picture of a MOC, even if it's of an impressive one, if you ask me.

Cheers!

I totally agree with you, Walter!

Like you said, the contest isn't about the most amazing MOC but rather about the most amazing photography. And judging from the photographic aspect, it's not that amazing. Just a pretty normal picture of a MOC, even if it's of an impressive one, if you ask me.

Cheers!

I don't have any horses here, but how is the entry any different than yours, Enpaz? Yours is also a more regular style MOC. The photography for your entry isn't anything better or worse than other MOCs that are regularly posted. People saying this entry doesn't have artistry is one thing (although artistry comes in many different forms), but it probably shouldn't be coming from someone who's own entry is essentially the same thing.

I don't have any horses here, but how is the entry any different than yours, Enpaz? Yours is also a more regular style MOC. The photography for your entry isn't anything better or worse than other MOCs that are regularly posted. People saying this entry doesn't have artistry is one thing (although artistry comes in many different forms), but it probably shouldn't be coming from someone who's own entry is essentially the same thing.

So you think this contest is about creating a good MOC? That's where we completely disagree.

My entry focuses on photography while Mos_Eisley's focuses on his impressive collection of Star Wars minifigs. At least that's my opinion and how I see things. If you cannot see that there was effort put into the photography of my entry and view it as just a regular photo showing a MOC with focus on the MOC taken in 2 seconds then it's a pity. I am not in any way saying my entry would be better than Mos_Eisley's, too. I did my best, though, and if you don't like my entry, that's fine with me.

So you think this contest is about creating a good MOC? That's where we completely disagree.

My entry focuses on photography while Mos_Eisley's focuses on his impressive collection of Star Wars minifigs. At least that's my opinion and how I see things. If you cannot see that there was effort put into the photography of my entry and view it as just a regular photo showing a MOC with focus on the MOC taken in 2 seconds then it's a pity. I am not in any way saying my entry would be better than Mos_Eisley's, too. I did my best, though, and if you don't like my entry, that's fine with me.

I feel like I've caused enough thread crapping for this entry so I'll stop after this because it was not my intent! I'm not saying I dislike your entry at all, nor am I saying that this is the best entry. But based on Walter's comments, it sounds like he thinks entries like the one with Vader's helmet in the snow are more in the spirit of this contest. If that is what the contest is about, then I don't think this entry or your entry are like that at all. To me, this entry isn't about the minifigs other than the fact that it is unique that they were used to create something that I think is visually interesting, which is what I think the contest is about, regardless of how that is achieved. Your entry is great too, I'm merely saying that if this entry isn't right for the contest, then there are many others that don't meet Walter's artistic merits.

Easy folks! If my entry isn't right for the contest, no big deal. I try to think outside the box for the contests and maybe I went too far this time. Lesson learned - I'll try to stay within the lines in the future!

I love the MOC as such - at first I didn't have a clue what it was but then I slowly worked out who each of the figures were.

I do have to agree that this isn't really what this particular contest is about, though.

Easy folks! If my entry isn't right for the contest, no big deal. I try to think outside the box for the contests and maybe I went too far this time. Lesson learned - I'll try to stay within the lines in the future!

NEVER!!!!! Keep fighting the good fight, dont bend over to the establishment. Down with the man, wait what? haha

Mos_Eisley, keep up the out of box thinking. This pic is awesome. If it does not meet the criteria of the contest, it is the contest that doesnt meet the criteria of your photograph!!!

It is a great idea and concept. Never penalize or stunt your creativity to satistfy the masses. Keep Bricking!!!

Hey, no problem! I just was annoyed about the fact that my entry was being attacked because of my opinion about another entry.

And by the way, it's not like I dislike your entry or anything. I actually like it. I merely disagree with the masses (Yeah, Solscud - in fact Walter Kovacs and me are the minority) immediately shouting "Oh, that's so great, you'll win first place" only because an entry is "lavish".

Hey, no problem! I just was annoyed about the fact that my entry was being attacked because of my opinion about another entry.

And by the way, it's not like I dislike your entry or anything. I actually like it. I merely disagree with the masses (Yeah, Solscud - in fact Walter Kovacs and me are the minority) immediately shouting "Oh, that's so great, you'll win first place" only because an entry is "lavish".

I think you misread what I said. Or perhaps I didnt communicate properly. I never said he would win. I merely do not wish the creator to stop creating. If this creation and photograph does not meet to the contest rules, then so be it. It is a great creation. That is all I meant to say. The OP should keep making other great creations.