RichardAM

Stealin' the Imperial Loot!

thindexedgif.gif Vig. 24b

Hello! This is my first entry for the PTV Contest (and my first Eurobricks compo entry ever!). It's for the Medium class, and it's called, as the topic title suggests, Stealin' the Imperial Loot!

A small band of Pirates raid the tower for some treasure, while the Imperial Watch are busy- will they get away?

pmtv1.jpg

ptvm2.jpg

ptvm3.jpg

ptvm4.jpg

ptvm5.jpg

Hope you like- comments and constructive criticism are welcome!

Edited by SlyOwl

Nice Entry! It looks like they will get away. Only one trooper knows about them escaping with the gold. I like how you have the Trooper smiling so its like hes talking and doesnt notice anything.

I hope they get away!

nicely done ! I like it ^^ but I don't think they'll get away, there is a soldier with a gun at the windows ! he surely saw them!

Excellent work, and very well done! However, I'm afraid it's my duty to inform you of any possible improvements in this wonderful entry.

1. The interior of the first floor is a little strange- I suggest using the rug from 7414 instead of the red tiles.

2. The guards on the top should have some reaction to the pirates, shouldn't they?

Other than that, WOW! A winner!

Thats a great moc I love how the soldiers are clueless. My suggestion is to have some kind of cannon on the top.

This is a wonderful entry RichardAM!

The tower looks great and has a nice contrast with the tan sand. I like the sneaky pirates running away with the loot. :pir-grin:

It's also really nice that you have included a bit of interior, and the colors you have selected have a nice appearance.

1 or 2 small things you could improve on are:

1) On the palm tree, it might look nice to have another leaf on the left side where there's a gap.

2) I think it would look good to add some grey tiles to the top of the tower, as that's the only place that studs are still showing.

You have done a great job, and I think you have a good chance in the contest. Nice work!

My opinion:

This is an outstanding MOC ! I give you a 9/10 for this, and I think there isn't that much that can be improved, except for (maybe) changing your division from medium to large. I would at least consult an admin/mod for this, to check if it is eligible to enter the medium division (wich I doubt).

Your minifigs are ok, their faces too, and the tower/bank is so realistic and "finished".

I think you have a good chanche to win a prize with it. So: good work !

Possible improvements:

1) Maybe adding a few more details like placing a cannon on the towerroof, or hanging a flag (a Bluecoat or Redcoat flag I mean) would make it look even more real.

2) Let the guards on the roof have a part of the action, let them shoot or something, or cry for help, sound an alarm... They must have heard or seen something. The others did.

3) I think the (red and brown) tiles used for the first floor could be replaced with others (like grey) but I doubt this is a necessity. I would however like to see something more going on there, maybe you could place a hanger with a medieval armor there, or some candles, a bookcase,...

4) As suggested by Erdbeereis1, tiling the entire MOC would probably look a bit better. And more leeves for the tree are always welcome as well.

5) I would add a monkey, a parrot, another bird or a homemade animal to the MOC, those are always so cool !

Non-brick related advise:

1) try to post more photos here, six for example, this way we know which ones whe should judge.

Remember: the first one is the one to be judged for points, and decides who will win! (I like your first pic BTW)

2) Are you certain about entering in Medium Class? I think it's too broad...But that is just MHO.

THIS IS STATED in Da rules

What does "stacking plates" refer to?

This only applies to the small and medium categories. You can't build up plates so that they overlap the maximum size of the category, but reasonable overlap is allowed (e.g. minifigs, plants). None of this, but stuff like this is allowed.

Edited by zorro3999

2. The guards on the top should have some reaction to the pirates, shouldn't they?[/b]

The conversation is most engrossing. :pir-wink:

1) On the palm tree, it might look nice to have another leaf on the left side where there's a gap.

I'm not sure I understand- the palm tree already has four leaves.

2) I think it would look good to add some grey tiles to the top of the tower, as that's the only place that studs are still showing.

That's a very good idea, thanks.

(maybe) changing you division from medium to large. I would at least consult an admin/mod for this, to check if it is eligible to enter the medium division.

I wasn't sure myself. overall it's 18x16, and overlap is allowed. I posted the question yesterday wondering if it was okay, but i'm still waiting.

try to post more photos here, six for example, this way we know which ones whe should judge.

Remember: the first one is the one to be judged for points, and decides who will win! (I like your first pic BTW)

I'm working on it- i've got photos hosted elsewhere but my site's acting funny today- i'll see what I can do.

Thanks all.

This is a nice solid design you've constructed Richard, it looks very tidy and robust with the right amount of little details in the brickwork preventing the walls from appearing too banal.

You've also go the most interesting palm tree truck I've ever seen - is there anything in the interior holding them together or are they just sitting on top of each other?

You've also go the most interesting palm tree truck I've ever seen - is there anything in the interior holding them together or are they just sitting on top of each other?

Thanks, they're threaded through one of these actually. I've got all the conventional plam tree parts already but I thought i'd do something different for bonus points. :pir_laugh2:

1) try to post more photos here, six for example, this way we know which ones whe should judge.

More photos have been added. :pir-sweet:

You're right about the tree Richard. I just didn't see the fourth leaf.

Forget I ever said that. :pir-tongue:

It's good you added some more pictures, as the interior of your MOC is lovely as well.

I only have one avice for this brilliant entry.

Massacre that bloody soldier, make his intestines come out, make sure he'll never have any kids, give him a chili sauce wedgie, or whatever. Just make sure he suffers, and I'm happy. :jollyroger:

Thanks, they're threaded through one of these actually. I've got all the conventional plam tree parts already but I thought i'd do something different for bonus points.

I like how you did this, I will keep this in mind...(No, I won't copy it for my entries don't worry)

I only have one avice for this brilliant entry.

Massacre that bloody soldier, make his intestines come out, make sure he'll never have any kids, give him a chili sauce wedgie, or whatever. Just make sure he suffers, and I'm happy. :jollyroger:

Why so much violence all the time Mr. Tiber...what did that poor soldier do to you...

CONCENTRATE:

You are in a land where there is no school...you are the only man here...billions of women...

Think of you sitting in a pink beach chair on a peaceful little island with pink bunnies hopping around you and a little cute (pink) chiuaua :pir-wub: on your lap...

Monokini Fatima Moreira de Mélo, Katja and Birgit Schuurman, Froukje de Both,...all around you, hanging over you presenting grapes to your mouth :pir_kiss: ... (NO, you are not presenting your "grapes" to their mouth, you are relaxing......peace....silentness...)

Listen to the birds, the wind and the water...sniff the relaxing odor of (pink) flowers, the trees..nature...

Be one with the elements that suround you...

Now tell me Mr.Tiber.......do you still want to kill that poor soldier that has seven kids, a wive and three little pink kittens?

:pir_laugh2::pir-sweet::pir-laugh:

What is it about this forum and bloodlust? :pir_laugh2:

Nice, very nice. But I don't think it really follows the idea of the contest. I mean, there's nothing gruesome or cruel about this. But still, very nice.

I like your use of faces, and the angled walls of the building. The over all astetics of the moc are quite good.

RichardAM, the reason for blood is because this is a contest, (Pillage the Village), where pirates kill loot and steal. Thus, you would need blood from all the killing.

Opinion

Nice first MOC. That is a pretty big tower to fit on 16x16. I like how you can see into the tower on the other side. I like how you put tan tiles on the base plate to give it a beach effect. Also, the palm tree you made is very well done. I like how you added some humor to your MOC. The pirates with the treasure chest look very happy, while the armada on the roof is shacking hands. This must of took along time to make because I see you put major effort into making the tower.

Possible Improvements

1) You could add some blood to your MOC.

2) On the top of the tower, you could add an armada flag.

3) You could make your MOC a little more gruesome.

Overall- This is a very nice MOC. If you fix some minor flaws, this will be a great MOC. One more thing, the pirates will not get away. I wish you the best of luck!

LegoKing

Edited by LegoKing

Nice, very nice. But I don't think it really follows the idea of the contest. I mean, there's nothing gruesome or cruel about this. But still, very nice.

True. My suggestion would be to maybe have the guy in the tower with the gun shoot one of the pirates and have blood everywhere, and maybe add pirates climbing the side of the wall and some killing the guys up top. That's what I would do anyway. Good luck!

Nowhere in the rules does it state that gore or violence is a requirement -

It's just been interpreted by many that they are.

Implications of violence etc. are just as difficult to introduce; perhaps moreso.

:pir-sceptic:

I like how you did this, I will keep this in mind...(No, I won't copy it for my entries don't worry)

Why so much violence all the time Mr. Tiber...what did that poor soldier do to you...

CONCENTRATE:

You are in a land where there is no school...you are the only man here...billions of women...

Think of you sitting in a pink beach chair on a peaceful little island with pink bunnies hopping around you and a little cute (pink) chiuaua :pir-wub: on your lap...

Monokini Fatima Moreira de Mélo, Katja and Birgit Schuurman, Froukje de Both,...all around you, hanging over you presenting grapes to your mouth :pir_kiss: ... (NO, you are not presenting your "grapes" to their mouth, you are relaxing......peace....silentness...)

Listen to the birds, the wind and the water...sniff the relaxing odor of (pink) flowers, the trees..nature...

Be one with the elements that suround you...

Now tell me Mr.Tiber.......do you still want to kill that poor soldier that has seven kids, a wive and three little pink kittens?

:pir_laugh2::pir-sweet::pir-laugh:

Is that a trick question? :pir_laugh2:

It's mostly the contest. :pir-wink:

:pir-sceptic:

You are right, it's not a requirement, but it is highly appreciated (by me, that is :pir-blush: ) and besides, I think it would spice the MOC up a little.

It's your call of course!

I like nice clean design of this entry. Great use of tiles for the base, and I love the SNOT smooth rounded tile cobblestones. That's a nice palm tree, too--not made of the standard palm tree pieces. Is that a technice tube inside holding it together?

The obviously ignorant guards add some humor to this scene, which is always good, in my opinion.

Other people have said that it's not gruesome or violent enough, but I disagree. Too many people have focused on the violent aspect of this contest rather than simple pillaging. If I was a pirate, my goal would be to get in, get the loot, and get out, with as little violence as possible. Because violence leads to injuries, which leads to death. Not to mention it's such a hassle to have to impale someone when you'd be perfectly happy to just take their money and run!

There's only one thing that I would change on this MOC, and that's the position of the soilder with the sword behind the door. From the first picture, you can't tell he's there. Seems like there's a mystery dagger floating in midair. I would put him more in the doorway, so we can see him better.

Nice entry overall!

If I was a pirate, my goal would be to get in, get the loot, and get out, with as little violence as possible. Because violence leads to injuries, which leads to death. Not to mention it's such a hassle to have to impale someone when you'd be perfectly happy to just take their money and run!

But then you wouldn't be a pirate, would you? :pir-tongue:

IMHO it is quite clear the cruelty of this MOC is ENOUGH to compete with the PTV contest.

You know, Pillage The Village...?

I think it was Bonaparte who demanded plundering, murdering and raping, but if we were to follow that sick minded person :pir-wink: (who has sometimes great idea's though :thumbup: ) in every occasion, we would all end up being butt-naked while burning down the Megablock HQ, shouting: "THERE IS ONLY ONE TRUE BRICK: THE LEGO BRICK"... :pir-laugh::pir_laugh2::pir-grin:

Edited by zorro3999

But then you wouldn't be a pirate, would you? :pir-tongue:

Correction - Wikipedia: Piracy is robbery committed at sea, or sometimes on shore, without a commission from a sovereign nation (as distinct from privateering, robbery with sovereign commission).

So a pirate doesn't actually have to kill. Just robbing and looting!