Box.jpg

Set Number: 10216

Set Name: Winter Village Bakery

Theme: Winter (?)

Pieces: 687

Price: $US 55.99

Links: (Will Insert later, sorry!)

Introduction

Completing the tri-fecta (Hopefully to be joined by more such sets) with the Winter Toy Shop and the Holiday Train, comes the Winter Village Bakery. The other two sets have already set the bar high with this small little theme of Christmas themed sets but this one looks to continue the trend! Side Note: I don't actually have the other two but considering how cool this set is, I think I'll be buying that Toy Shop before the year is out...err...onto the review!

Oh shoot, forgot a pic of the back of the box...will add that! The back does display the interior of the bakery which is well designed but not easily captured by my cranky camera.

Booklet2.jpg

Booklet1.jpg

Just a couple random shots from the instruction booklet, which is plenty thick and comes in at 80 something pages...80! I realize this is small fry compared to the modular sets but what do I know, I'm not one for big sets usually!

The buggy and stand:

BuggyandStand.jpg

Except for the bakery, most of these were fairly simple builds. The horse drawn carriage has a build to other sets but is well built nonetheless. The back has what appears to be a wreath design on the back, which I had a picture of but would not come out good for the life of me. Has room for one large tree or a couple of small ones, maybe more. The wooden stand is...well a wooden stand. It's simple but a sold little build and I like the little roof...though am I the only one who thought a red and green scheme would have worked better. Oh well, I'm just nitpicking! Oh yea and the stand comes with a shovel and a broom. What would have been nice and what I'm sure some intrepid soul will do is expand this a little to include a little lot of Christmas trees. I wouldn't mind it here but then that'd just jack up the price and we don't want that!

The Ice Rink:

Rink.jpg

So how long has it been that we have an ice rink of sorts for once? Again, a simple build but darn isn't it pretty awesome. The majority of the lake consists of two 8x8 light blue transparent plates. Bricklink tells me that this has appeared in some Belville set but if I'm wrong, do say so. I think the hanging lights from the flag posts is a nice touch and again, if one wanted, you could expand this a little and have the lights surrounding the perimeter of the pond. The poor figure stuck in the mound of snow is a bit hilarious, though I don't know how he did it, seeing as the ice rink is kinda small.

The Bakery:

Bakery2.jpg

Okay so this is the highlight of the set. My pictures don't do it justice but this isn't a very simple build. I found the 650+ piece count a bit hilarious but I can tell you that a good portion of the build is devoted to the bakery! I didn't get a shot of the amount of bricks I had left when I realized that it all belonged to the building but I'd estimate it's probably 75-82 percent. The interior consists of one corridor where one can pay at the cashier and then the other side where you have the stand of goodies and a small container next to it with two bread rolls. I'm not sure if those are new or not. I'll try to get a pic of them later.

Bakery1.jpg

This set also includes that same light up brick from the Winter Toy Shop. Cute little addition it is, it really doesn't add much to the set and the argument could be made that it's just in there to jack up the price. Regardless, I still like it and it's kind of cool to press it and light up the other side of the bakery with the goodies. Box said batteries included but I didn't see one. Booklet does show you how to replace it if need be.

Bakery3.jpg

Just a shot of how it looks complete. Love the style of the architecture, can't recall what it's similar to but it appears a bit European.

Bakery4.jpg

If I had knew beforehand that there wasn't a review, there would be a few more shots of this in the build phase.

Figures:

Figurines.jpg

Your seven figures, not including the half figure, which will be stuck in that snowbank for all of eternity. Poor sap. You get two women, two smug little kids and three hardyworking gentleman. Fair enough distribution I'd say. I'm guessing the woman in red is the wife of the baker, while the other is either a big sister to the one kid with the camera or his mom. Considering she appears to be in no hurry to berate the kid for giving the poor guy grief, I'd say it's his sister.

Thoughts

Well most of my feelings have been pointed out in this review but this really is a cool set. Just from looking at the box for the Winter Toy Shop, this fits in very well with it and I can only hope we see a few more to round it out, perhaps maybe a cabin or camping grounds. While the Ice rink, the carriage and the stand are all simple builds, they all have a little character to them, especially the ice rink with the poor guy stuck in the snowbank, the little bench and the Christmas lights hanging from the poles. Of course the bakery is the highlight of the build and my pictures don't do it justice. It's not an easy build, it can get a wee bit complicated and for someone like me who tends to build a collection with relatively small sets and the occasional large set, it was a bit tiring. Still shocked at just how much of the pieces go to the bakery!

Final Rating: 94%

Build 8/10: It's good but man can it get tiring. The level of detail is nuts and I commend whoever came up with this.

Functionality 9/10 It's a bakery, I think that's pretty darn functional. I don't really see the point of the light up brick, even though I do like it.

Design 10/10 Beautiful, love it. I hope they keep pushing the bar.

Parts 10/10 Lots of bricks to build with, which is good. Quite a few plates but if you need those brownish red pieces, rejoice because they are in ample suppy. Has a lot of earthy colored pieces in general.

Price 10/10 I think it's a fair price. I felt it earned my 56 bucks with ease.

I don't mind any feedback...I just don't expect to be doing many of these big builds until I get a better camera!

Nice review. I'd rather get the Toy Shop for $5 more, but this is still nice. You might want to join the Reviewers Academy to sharpen your skills. :classic:

Bought this (and toy shop) days ago. I will not miss these again! *shakes fist*

Wonder how much those clear 8x8s cost on BL?

Transparent 8x8 plates

Ouch. Hopefully more flood the market because I'm sure they have their uses. I hope Lego produces more like them.

Guess what? I forgot about the sticker sheet too! For those who dislike a lot of stickers, there are only three stickers, one for the sign on the stand, the sign on the lamppost and on the box the woman is holding. I also didn't get a shot of that, go me!

Nice review. I'd rather get the Toy Shop for $5 more, but this is still nice. You might want to join the Reviewers Academy to sharpen your skills. :classic:

The funny thing is in England the bakery more expensive and the winter toy shop only 40 pounds :cry_happy:

The funny thing is in England the bakery more expensive and the winter toy shop only 40 pounds :cry_happy:

Yeah and the Bakery has less pieces, I wish lego would get there pricing right default_sing.gif .

Great review tiggerkiddo default_thumbup.gif

Thanks for the review 'tiggerkiddo', sweet looking set, a bakery, an ice skating ring and a Christmas tree seller.....and that wagon too ! :sweet:

I would love the get this one and the toy shop too.......I wonder if I can talk my wife in buying them for the lad....er me too ! :laugh:

I'm a conformist! everyone ! :sweet:

Thanks for the nice review tiggerkiddo! The set looks really nice and -together with the Winter Toy Shop- is a great purchase, especially around Christmas holidays. Not that it's bad if you buy it during Spring. :grin:

The design is beautiful and I really like that there are four "activities" going on. The skaters, the Bakery, the horse carriage and the small stand. Variety! :thumbup:

P.S

It seems that the 2x4 white plate on top of one of the window structures looks yellowed. Am I seeing things? :wacko:

I forgot to say thanks for the review in the other posts my bad :blush:

P.S

It seems that the 2x4 white plate on top of one of the window structures looks yellowed. Am I seeing things? :wacko:

Well if your seeing things so am I thats yellowed,though it could be the lighting :look:

You are not seeing things, it is yellowed. It seems the set was short a few pieces (First time that happened for me!) so I had to go to my spare pieces bag and fish out the missing one to complete it. I decided to put it on the bottom underneath the awning of the small roof where it can't be seen...after I took the picture.

Thanks for the review, it's helped me to decide to definitely try to get this nice little set! My parents got me the holiday train a few years back, and I've gotta have SOMETHING for it to go around :thumbup::tongue:

Also, it sucks that you got shorted a brick, but at least you had one to replace it! :thumbup:

Thanks again for the review tiggerkiddo! :laugh:

Edited by Fires-storm

You are not seeing things, it is yellowed. It seems the set was short a few pieces (First time that happened for me!) so I had to go to my spare pieces bag and fish out the missing one to complete it.

Thanks for your answer tiggerkiddo. :thumbup: Must have been a frustrating situation being short of pieces. :sadnew:

Let's all pretend that one of the kids climbed on the roof in order to throw some snowballs while drinking a lemonade. The other kid was faster and threw the apple directly on the lemonade glass and.....we can see the result. :wink::laugh:

Let's all pretend that one of the kids climbed on the roof in order to throw some snowballs while drinking a lemonade. The other kid was faster and threw the apple directly on the lemonade glass and.....we can see the result. :wink::laugh:

Who drinks lemonade in the winter? :wacko:

Maybe one of the kids drank a bad hot chocolate and while on the roof he/she threw up :laugh:

Edited by prateek

Who drinks lemonade in the winter? :wacko:

LEGO minifigs do. They have different metabolism than us humans. :laugh:

Maybe one of the kids drank a bad hot chocolate and while on the roof he/she threw up :laugh:

Hot? On plastic? Are you insane? :wacko:

:tongue:

Hot? On plastic? Are you insane? :wacko:

:tongue:

But it wouldn't be over 40 degrees Celsius! :laugh:

Sorry I know this is off-topic but I just bought this set from Lego.com last week and they sent it by Fedex. I was at home all day on the delivery date but nobody came and the tracking said it was delivered! What should I do!?

Edited by vader11

I am really interest in one of Lego winter sets, ether this or Winter Toy Shop. I can get only one of them though. Which one should I get?

I'm a bit late - but nevertheless thank you very much for this great review, tiggerkiddo! :classic:

Imo this Winter set isn't that amazing than the Winter Toy Shop. That isn't because of a toy shop being more interesting than a bakery, but because of the reasons you can read below. Nevertheless it's a brilliant set!

So - if there was a poll added to this topic - I would give this set definately an

above average. :wub: :wub:

Con:

-no interior on the second floor

-completely open oven

-white owl (why not one of the HP theme?!)

-carriage puts the whole Winter theme in a past period of history (I would prefer a Winter theme which is compatible in time with the current City theme)

-much too small lake (if one side would be open, this would solve the problem)

-no table for the baker to prepare his cakes, baguettes etc.

-no space to go to the area where is baken

Pro:

-another building which fits hundred percently with 10199

-nice landscape

-not exactly the same design like 10199

-seven minifigures

-lots of lovely food pieces

-bakery with two floors

-brilliant display

I'm really surpised which we'll get this year for a Winter set and am looking forward to (supposably) buy it! :thumbup:

Klaus-Dieter