Sign in to follow this  
tomdobs55

LDD and chromebook

So after my laptop became a useless expensive blue brick, I'm thinking of what to get when I finally replace it. Seeing as I really only use a computer for the internet and watching movies/tv, I'm thinking of a chromebook. I already use chrome for a web browser plus google docs for most of my documents anyway it seems like a good idea. I realized what I miss the most is LDD! Does it run on a chromebook? Or should I stick with a PC?

It is possible to run LDD on a chromebook but, (my source is google btw) you need some knowledge. You can either run LDD on a remote windows PC and access it from your chrome book, or you install WINE and run LDD. You need an intel chrome book to install WINE as it will not run on an ARM based machine. Installing WINE needs some specific tinkering but again, google is your friend (in this case anyway :wink: ).

Hope this helps.

http://www.howtogeek.com/173353/how-to-run-windows-software-on-a-chromebook/

Edited by lego2lego

Chromebooks are mainly made for student and office work on the cloud. Also, remember that it's not powered by Windows, so it's missing the key components needed to run a Windows Executable File. (.EXE, what most windows games and other applications are.) These EXE files rely on DLL files (basically indexes of code stored deep within the sensitive parts of your computer, system32) to run. Without them, you just have a big complicated text file with senseless bytes of raw, unusable, uninterpretable(I'm making that a word) data.

Or something to that effect. Same goes for Macs, though they use different formats. And Linux. And those other more obscure operating systems.

So when considering operating systems it's best to make sure that whatever software you plan on using is available for that system. A lot of people seem to be under the impression that a computer is a computer, and the operating system is just for decoration, but there's a lot more going on.

So, yeah, Chromebook would be impracticle. But, they are pretty cheap, so you might consider buying one anyway, and repairing your laptop, if it's worth fixing.