36 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• 1 – Poor
    • 2 – Below Average
    • 3 – Average
    • 4 – Above Average
    • 5 - Outstanding

indexed.gif

The Y-wing is the work horse of the Rebel Alliance. It’s well armed and heavily armoured, but you’ll need it because you’ll be moving like a sleepy hut! – General Rieekan

Set Name: Y-wing Starfighter

Set Number: 7658

Number of Pieces: 454

Figures:2

Released: 2007

List Price: £39.99

Lets us begin with the box.

7658-01.jpg

The front shows it in all it’s swooshing glory.

http://tdy.org.uk/images/7658-02.jpg

The back shows some of the many features of the set and also others you might like to buy in the Star Wars range.

After opening the box we find a single instruction booklet

7658-03.jpg

Now we come to an important aspect of any Star Wars set the figure, here we’re provided with an anomalous rebel pilot and his faithful R5 droid. The pilot comes with the fairly standard Lego Star Wars non-hero helmet printing.

7658-04.jpg

What’s he going to do with the blaster taken on the entire Empire?

One of the more interesting parts is the assembly of the engine, which if like me you don’t pay enough attention to the instructions when building you can end up getting wrong.

7658-05.jpg

The key detail I got wrong.

7658-06.jpg

Just before fitting the last engine.

If we look carefully on the side we can see a missile launcher.

7658-07.jpg

I didn’t think torpedoes or concussion missiles were fired from there but I may be wrong.

After fitting the engine the models looks like this.

7658-09.jpg

In all it’s glory.

7658-08.jpg

Manning one of the Alliance’s fighters.

7658-10.jpg

Not so ready to take on the empire was he?

So overall we have a well designed model, which is in my opinion far superior to the original we were offered with Darth Vader way back when Lego Star Wars was new. This Y-wing is sleek and looks great in my opinion, the firing missiles are also a great touch.

The Rating System

Figures: 5/10 (for the same price the last X-wing had far more figures)

Parts 6/10

Swooshability 9.5/10

Design 9/10

Price 3/10

Grand Total 32.5/50 Not to shabby.

Conclusion.

So finally the answers to the questions you’ve no doubt want to know is the set worth the price. I’ll be frank £39.99 is too much for this set. Despite this I currently have a squadron of three Y-wings, the reasons is this set has been on sale a number of times at £30 it’s certainly worth the money. Lego recently placed them online with a price of £20, this I think was a great price for the set and well work picking one or more up if you wanted to start your own rebellion.

Thanks for the review.

I'll add it to the index.

The Y-wing is one of my favourite Rebel fighters and this set justifies the coolest fighter

A wonderful set and a really charming design, well detailed and pretty smooth at the same time. :classic:

Perhaps that small gap at the cockpit´s an a little weak point, but we can always MOD a little.

Thanks for that very neat review, Cardinal Brick! :thumbup:

Great review! The Y-wing is an awesome starfighter and the detail in this set is superb. Funnily enough I was just swooshing mine today! :laugh:

Edited by pedro

Great review! The Y-wing is an awesome starfighter and the detail in this set is superb. Funnily enough I was just swooshing mine today! :laugh:

:sick: You mean swooshing as in swooshing for real or just plain swooshing?

:sick: You mean swooshing as in swooshing for real or just plain swooshing?

He doesn't know the story. But those pics of you swooshing it naked sure are halarious... The one in the park is extra good... You should see people's faces I mean, they are jelaous, of your Y-wing! (yoda has my email :P hehe)

Staudie.

He doesn't know the story. But those pics of you swooshing it naked sure are halarious... The one in the park is extra good... You should see people's faces I mean, they are jelaous, of your Y-wing! (yoda has my email :P hehe)

Staudie.

Haha :hmpf_bad:

I was making a joke and here comes Stauder with his clearly insane lies. :hmpf:

For the truth go here.

Now can we get back on topic or a you just dying to become Sarlac food?

Haha :hmpf_bad:

I was making a joke and here comes Stauder with his clearly insane lies. :hmpf:

For the truth go here.

Now can we get back on topic or a you just dying to become Sarlac food?

Oh hush, not like many people know the story. The true story can indeed be found in the interview, so I shall leave you be, for now...

EDIT - Also, you should note that you said you would swoosh the UCS Y-wing...

Staudie. :tongue:

Ps - Sarlacc

Edited by Stauder

Actually I had read of the naked swooshing before, but alas, my Y-wing swooshing was in my workplace where it's generally accepted that you keep your clothes very much on.

It's a completely different story when I'm at home though... :wink:

I've built the Y-Wing and the Imperial Landing Craft (7659) more or less at the same time and, for about the same prices, I think the Imperial Landing Craft (ILC) is much superior to the Y-Wing.

The Y-Wing doesn’t have much functionality besides an awkward dropping bomb device and a moving cannon. The missiles firing system is … your fingers.

The ILC has an awesome missiles firing system (I wish I could get it individually for MOCs), a clever bomb dropping mechanism, 5 minifigures with weapons, the wings fold up together and the “cargo” can be detached as a play set.

I’ve built the ILC first so I got quite disappointed with the Y-Wing.

I've built the Y-Wing and the Imperial Landing Craft (7659) more or less at the same time and, for about the same prices, I think the Imperial Landing Craft (ILC) is much superior to the Y-Wing.

The Y-Wing doesn’t have much functionality besides an awkward dropping bomb device and a moving cannon. The missiles firing system is … your fingers.

The ILC has an awesome missiles firing system (I wish I could get it individually for MOCs), a clever bomb dropping mechanism, 5 minifigures with weapons, the wings fold up together and the “cargo” can be detached as a play set.

I’ve built the ILC first so I got quite disappointed with the Y-Wing.

You've got to be kidding?

The ILC is bulky and doesn't even come close to the design superiority of the Y-Wing.

It's smooth, it's beautiful and it's awesomely designed by the designers at LEGO.

"It's got greebles, man!" :wub:

You've got to be kidding?

The ILC is bulky and doesn't even come close to the design superiority of the Y-Wing.

It's smooth, it's beautiful and it's awesomely designed by the designers at LEGO.

"It's got greebles, man!" :wub:

I was not talking about the looks, of course the rebels have got to have nicer looking ships :classic:

I like the model, it is one of the best rebel sets out there. But I don't like it that there is no landing gear. When you set this one on the floor/ your rebel base it looks like it crashed or something and looses its look of superiority actually quite fast. It needs to be at least 2 studs high, if not more, from the ground. TLC is in these days afraid of flimsy landing gear, as they gave to us in the early SW time. Now they want something sturdy for playability. But I think there should have been some details on the bottom, especially a landing gear that unfolds. I also don't like the mistake of TLC (that they changed this year with the release of Indy hopefully) to give the pilot a usual smile face. The old yellow version of Gold Leader even had a headgear. I hope TLC realised this year that we want more detailed faces. Well, the licenced sets we got proved that, but who knows.

The upsides of this set are the amount of pieces and detail, especially the engines were fun to build and perhaps the most interesting construction I have seen in years. Also it is big, bulky and looks sleek at the same time, just wonderful. And next to the 4502 X-Wing it looks in the perfect size! I gave this the highest rating, even if the underside disappoints. But whatever, it is lego, you can add some landing gear on your own! Thanks for the review, your pics were really really good, next time make more of them please! :classic:

I was not talking about the looks, of course the rebels have got to have nicer looking ships :classic:

Don't aregue with him when it comes to Y-wings. He offerd to swoosh one in the nude...

Stauder.

Don't aregue with him when it comes to Y-wings. He offerd to swoosh one in the nude...

Stauder.

Indeed... :laugh:

The Y-Wing is a truly beautifull ship, and Lego has done a great job on this one,

lacking landing gear is a minus point though.

And nice review by the way! :thumbup:

Is it worth the money since the new Y-wing comes out next year?

:sceptic: Please, check the date prior to asking questions in old topics. Three years ago in this case. It's rude to expect people to answer questions like that, especially since it's such a generic question.

Besides, how is he supposed to answer the question without knowing a lot more about the new Y-Wing...

:sceptic: Please, check the date prior to asking questions in old topics. Three years ago in this case. It's rude to expect people to answer questions like that, especially since it's such a generic question.

Besides, how is he supposed to answer the question without knowing a lot more about the new Y-Wing...

sorry! :angry:

I think it is a fair to ask questions here with the expectation of a new Y-wing in the coming year. I came here to look at the review even though it is a few years old. No images to go with the review. Bummer. I'd like to see a more friendly tolerance on dated threads being bumped.

I think it is a fair to ask questions here with the expectation of a new Y-wing in the coming year. I came here to look at the review even though it is a few years old. No images to go with the review. Bummer. I'd like to see a more friendly tolerance on dated threads being bumped.

Again, we know next to nothing about the new Y-wing. It wouldn't be possible to say whether 7658 is worth the money relative to the new one until we know what the new one looks like, what its minifigures look like, how much it will cost, etc. Also, note that yodalikespie has been banned.

Again, we know next to nothing about the new Y-wing. It wouldn't be possible to say whether 7658 is worth the money relative to the new one until we know what the new one looks like, what its minifigures look like, how much it will cost, etc. Also, note that yodalikespie has been banned.

Is that a threat? Is it fair to ban someone on the forum because they revived an old thread and made inquiries? Thought this was a forum to discuss Lego and that is what he was prompting. I don't really care why he was banned but this isn't the only time I've seen this type of behavior and discourse here on EB.

Is that a threat? Is it fair to ban someone on the forum because they revived an old thread and made inquiries? Thought this was a forum to discuss Lego and that is what he was prompting. I don't really care why he was banned but this isn't the only time I've seen this type of behavior and discourse here on EB.

Not a threat at all - I was simply pointing out that yodalikespie made the mistake of inquiring about the new Y-wing before we had any information on it. To my understanding, it's not so much the fact that he bumped the thread as the fact that he bumped it for no good reason. I'm not certain where the Moderators stand on this issue, but I feel that yodalikespie's question would have been better received had he posed it after a substantial amount of information had been gathered on 9495 - as I've said, there simply isn't much one can go off of at this point to determine its value relative to 7658.

Not a threat at all - I was simply pointing out that yodalikespie made the mistake of inquiring about the new Y-wing before we had any information on it. To my understanding, it's not so much the fact that he bumped the thread as the fact that he bumped it for no good reason. I'm not certain where the Moderators stand on this issue, but I feel that yodalikespie's question would have been better received had he posed it after a substantial amount of information had been gathered on 9495 - as I've said, there simply isn't much one can go off of at this point to determine its value relative to 7658.

Roger that. Sad that the original review pics aren't available any longer. Would be nice once the new set is released for comparisons.

Maybe the thread should be locked or taken down since the pics consist of broken links. Kind of a pointless review without the pics.

And for the record, there are other websites with preliminary images of some the new 2012 sets that are not on the Eurobrick Star Wars 2012 rumors thread. Perhaps that banned fellow was hoping some of the Lego insiders had some knowledge about it. I guess we'll never know now.

Edited by sharky