Sign in to follow this  
Hobbes

Custom Playmobil Figures

Yes, it's not LEGO, I know. But it fits here quite well I think and shows what Playmobil does right:

Playmobil custom figures US Civil War

The thread's quite old but I found it on lugnet.at from a member looking for dioramas. There's lots more dioramas in that forum, including Castle, Romans, Western etc.:

Subforum "Fotos and Movies"

Subforum "Customizing/Buildings"

t_ohne_titel_7_132.jpg

t_artillerie_verschanzt_001_944.jpg

1.jpg

t_bild083_967.jpg

Even if it's not LEGO I think it looks great.

Thanks for sharing Hobbes. I've seen a lot of these over the years. There's even some better ones than this out there. I'll post a few when I locate.

These fellows look more Roman than Western to me...

If I may quote myself:

There's lots more dioramas in that forum, including Castle, Romans, Western etc.

Playmobile's scale is so much more compatible with natural elements it is unfair in diorama terms... Of course if lego worked better outside scenery builder's would be a little obsolite ;-)

God Bless,

Nathan

Wow, I didn't know that Playmo was also used for army building.

These Alamo pics are impressive!

I wonder if those figs are as expensive as the Lego Imperial Soldiers ($5) and if they are also very rare/hard to find.

I was in a toystore over the weekend which had a pretty big Playmobile selection. It seems to me that PM has a larger and more varied selection of themes than LEGO does. Not only was there a Castle, City and Space theme that LEGO has but there was also Western, Zoo, Farm and something that looked like a Renassance Palace theme among others. I remember thinking how great it would be if LEGO created similar themes. I also noticed that a lot of the themes had human vs. human conflict in it even though Playmobile seems to be aimed at a slightly younger crowd than LEGO. Playmobile and LEGO are very similar toy brands and yet they have very different product offerings and it seems a very different market strategy. It looks like PM is doing well financially with their products even though half of their themes are non-violent, non-conflict ones. I just wish TLC would maybe gear their philosophy towards a PM type of product line that's based more on creativity rather than an "action, flashy lights and sounds" kind of approach they've had for the last few years.