dunamis

10191 Star Justice Review

Star Justice Reviewed by Dunamis

Set 10191

895 Pieces

$99.95 from The LEGO Store (Glendale, CA)

Build time 3.0 hours

Imagine my surprise when I entered my local LEGO store and saw 10191 Star Justice sitting on the shelf. The store manager (Elizabeth) said they just arrived. Immediately discarding my plan of finally buying Town Plan and the Motorized AT-AT during the double stamp week, I made a b-line for the new arrivals section and grabbed both 10191 and 10192 intending to relive my glory days of Classic Space sets from the late ‘70s.

In my mind, I replayed the previous evening review of the Eurobricks forums and did not recall seeing anything about these sets being available now. I had thought they were slated for late April. Could I have stumbled into some space-time vortex causing these sets to be delivered a month in advance? Perhaps the more pressing question is could the Eurobricks community tolerate two more of my mindless reviews? Oh, the humanity!

The Box:

Interestingly, the box is eerily similar to the Market Street box in both size and appearance. It gives the appearance of a compact and sturdy box that is packed with LEGO goodness.

10191-1.jpg

The back of the box is identical to 10192 and shows models from both sets:

10191-2.jpg

Here is what we get inside:

10191-3.jpg

As you can see, we have 11 bags, 2 manuals and the DDS (dreaded sticker sheet).

The Manuals:

As is the norm lately, we have two very high quality manuals with all the features we have come to expect:

- Piece callouts

- Models divided into sections

- Large images

- Page numbers

The manuals were 52 and 46 pages

Parts list

10191-32.jpg10191-33.jpg

Random manual shot

10191-26.jpg

The Pieces:

The pieces and color selection really brought me back to the days of Classic Space. The grey, white and blue pieces really work well together. There are a lot of small pieces in this set. Notable pieces include the 1x1 sloped tile, tractor tires, 3 different sizes of radar dishes and lots of robot arms. I didn’t notice any new pieces but I’m not normally one to immediately pick up on these things.

Of course, we can’t go too far in this discussion without mentioning the Dreaded Sticker Sheet:

10191-4.jpg

I had read about this in the other thread and needless to say the topic has been beat to death. Clearly it was a LEGO decision and there is not much we can do about it. I should point out that there are a few printed elements in the set (1x4 tiles, some 2x2 round tiles and 2x2 slopes).

As far as applying the stickers, I am normally adroit in my day to day activities but whenever I come within 10 feet (or meters) of any LEGO sticker sheet my dexterity drops about 10 points and I fail my saving throw every time (hopefully there are some old school D&D players out there who get my lame attempts at humor.)

This is especially the case when applying these tiny little stickers on the 1x2 modified tiles:

10191-11.jpg

Of course, there was much consternation about the stickers on the minifigs. Again, it was a LEGO decision. The good news is it gives quite a bit of latitude for people to make up their own designs as many have done. Here is a photo of a minifig with the sticker on the torso and a 2x2 tile with sticker:

10191-8.jpg

Even with my ineptness, I think it looks fine.

Here is what is left over:

10191-27.jpg

The Minifigs:

We get four minifigs in this set plus we get to build four more robots.

Here are the minifigs:

Star_Trek_TMP_cast.jpg

Opps, here is the real photo:

10191-5.jpg

And once you apply the decals:

10191-12.jpg

And our little Cylon, errr I mean, robot friends:

10191-15.jpg

Too bad we don’t get the little air tanks and walkie talkies with these guys:

3838.png

3962a.png

The Build:

The build was broken down into several smaller builds which makes the progress move along briskly. There were no gotchas or any difficulties. There are a number of cool building techniques that really update the feel of the Classic Space vehicles. I’ll cover those in the Design section below.

The Design:

I think the designer (Chris Giddens) did a great job of creating that Classic Space feel of the set while updating the vehicles with some new design and techniques. Here are some examples:

We have our little scout ship here:

10191-10.jpg

Notice the use of the robot arms for the landing gear and how they fold up under the hull. Yes, those are printed tiles on the vents (2x2 round tiles) but a sticker on the 2x2 tile control panel. Also note the wheel rims for the engine and nice use of the slopes all over. Finally, we have some SNOT techniques as well.

10191-6.jpg10191-7.jpg10191-9.jpg

How about the interceptor:

10191-28.jpg

10191-29.jpg

Lots of nice techniques and design here. The detail is outstanding. Check out the interior during the build:

10191-25.jpg

And the view from below:

10191-30.jpg

Next we have my favorite, the transport:

10191-16.jpg10191-17.jpg

Check out the detail on the side cannons, the side rail in the truck bed and the independent steering on the rear tires. Even the tailgate lowers. Cool stuff!

10191-18.jpg

Finally, we have the mission control base. Typical of the Classic Space sets you have a building of some sort with some ancillary devices (rocket launcher, laser cannon, mining facility, radar dish, etc.) and this set does not disappoint. You pretty much get it all.

View from the front:

10191-20.jpg

Adjacent power generator/shield generator/nuclear device/whatever you want to call it (nice detailing though):

10191-19.jpg

10191-21.jpg

Radar, laser, missile launcher:

10191-24.jpg

Heavy weapons storage:

10191-23.jpg

Those of you who like to complain about non-airtight compartments and facilities will be miffed to see the entire rear of the control tower is lacking a wall. Do not despair as you can easily add a couple of windows and you will be all set:

10191-22.jpg

Here are some additional cargo items:

10191-13.jpg

10191-14.jpg

The entire lineup:

10191-31.jpg

Overall Thoughts:

I was very excited to see this announced a month or so ago. I’ve always been a fan of the Classic Space sets. This set does a great job of bringing you back to that era and updating some of the designs. I think there is definitely room for a revival of Classic Space to co-exist with Mars Mission and Star Wars.

These vehicles are very swooshable and have high playability. The parts selection is good and has lots of reusability. There are a lot of small parts but not so many larger plates or bricks. You will need to tap into your additional parts stock if you’re looking to build the next Galaxy Explorer. Chris does a great job in adding little details to the vehicles and really has a good grasp of the Classic Space feel.

I think people can live with the stickers, but the $100 (US) price is going to turn off some folks. It seems whenever I play around with LEGO Digital Designer my creations are always 2x the price I expect it to be. I kind of get that feel with this set especially with the large number of small parts. I also feel that in some ways the design was cut a few times (at LEGO’s request). Seems like this was discussed on the previous thread as well. No doubt if Chris gave us what he really, really wanted the price would be much higher.

Overall, it is a great set and a great return to the Classic Space era.

Final Rating: 84%

Build 10/10 (Excellent – Quick and smooth build.)

Minifigs 8/10 (Nice, would have liked to see some accessories and perhaps different color suits)

Design 10/10 (Excellent – Really captures the feel of Classic Space and updates it nicely.)

Parts 8/10 (Good. Somewhat limited by LDD and a lot of little parts.)

Price 6/10 (Price ratio is lower than expected. Seems overpriced.)

Great review! Sure the price seems rather high, but it looks like a sure must buy.

Thanks for the review Dunamis.

The price will dictate whether I will buy it or not.

It does look like a "must have", but not if it lands on the wrong side of 800kr.

Great review, thank you very much!

Now if I only would still collect Space, I´d buy this beauty instantly.

I only hope it won´t take TLC so long to update the parts list in LDD, as there are some reallym really useful parts in this set that aren´t available in LDD yet.

I forgot to mention that there were no other 'inspiration photos' in the instructions. It will be interesting to see if LEGO adds any other set instructions on LDD for it or maybe Chris has some he can share.

Awesome review Dunamis, This makes me want this set all the more.

Thanks for doing this for us. *sweet*

nice review but it annoyed me you complanied abotu the building that there was no back wall. they built it for playablty so they wouldnt be one would there

nice review but it annoyed me you complanied abotu the building that there was no back wall. they built it for playablty so they wouldnt be one would there

If you read it through more closely you'll see he talked about people who like to complain about non-airtight compartments and facilities. He himslf did not say he was one of those people.

Hope that cleared it up. :-)

Not a complaint but a mere observation. All of the Classic Space sets I grew up with had an open wall for playability as you suggested. I only mentioned it as there is usually someone who will point out that the cockpits don't make an airtight compartment or buildings aren't 'structurally' complete. Not an issue with this set. Sorry for the confusion.

A great review, thank you. I like this set, everything about it is great I love the larger spaceship and the vehicle looks great with all the generic space cargo!

Shame about the price tag, a birthday present for me in the future perhaps! *sweet*

Opps, here is the real photo:

10191-5.jpg

And once you apply the decals:

10191-12.jpg

Wow! When you apply the decals, one of them disappears! That's a neat trick. :-P

Great review Dunamis! I really do want to get my hands on this set. Although it seems a little higher priced, it's an awesome set and I'd like to support the fan-created set movement. (in hopes that they license my brewery someday... :-$ would they sell a LEGO brewery? Encouraging kids to drink beer. Probably not. It can be a soda bottlery or some junk, but I digress...)

Could we please please please get a couple more angle shots of that awesome interceptor? X-D Thanks in advance and thanks either way. *sweet* *y*

great review as always!

cant wait for the skull one! there is some great design there!

the set looks great! the interceptor is my favorite!

what i dont like about the minifigs is not so much the stickers as is their color.

i would rather see them in blue or light blue or maybe blue and white.

the grey isnt all that much

i waited more from a base and this is the only part i dont like from the whole set.

i would rather see smth simple like classic space and since they couldnt use a lot of different parts (like the big "glass" pieces from the late 80s) the classic base from the late 70s would work great.

and although the base has an open back like the classics had the rock piece really destroys it!

couldnt it have been simpler and bigger?

all and all i really love this set and i wish i could get one someday!

great work to the designers

and lets hope lego comes up with more sets like this one!

Thank you for an awesome review Dunamis! *y*

This set looks outstanding! The detail in it is awesome, I wish TLC made more sets like that. I may have to get this, it has some great looking goodies in it *wub*

I'm looking forward to seeing a Space Skulls ( is that right? ) review soon.

*sweet*

Though I'm not into space any more I must say that this set looks very nice indeed. It also has some fine details! Thanks for this review with all those pictures! I also like the colour scheme: grey, blue, and white.

What I find funny is that one minifig has glasses. Normally I'd expect that in the future everyone will have contacts or something even better which is more futuristic looking, but not ordinary glasses. ;-)

Looks like a nice well designed set. Though I probably won't be getting any. I'm trying to cut back my expenditures and, since I've never really been into space, this will be one of those cutbacks.

I wonder how well it will sell. Sure its a nice set and all, but it seems geared more towards AFOLs. Especially with the price tag and the lack of smaller complementary sets. I wonder how many AFOLs will skip it too, because it doesn't really come with any new pieces. Just those readily available through PaB.

Still a good review and a pretty good looking set. I just hope it isn't doomed by marketing restrictions.

Steve

HEY,

Put the gold star on the Admiral Giddens with goatee fig your you get demoted! C'MON!

Thanks for the review! I'm so very glad you had fun building it.

Could we please please please get a couple more angle shots of that awesome interceptor? X-D Thanks in advance and thanks either way. *sweet* *y*

Definitely! I'll post some tonight.

I'm looking forward to seeing a Space Skulls ( is that right? ) review soon.

I'm going to start on that as well. The more I look at the box, the more I want to build it.

Wow! When you apply the decals, one of them disappears! That's a neat trick.

LOL, yeah it was late last night when I finished the build and took the photos. I started writing the review this morning and thought, "uh oh..."

Wow, great review! Covered everything very nicely. Looks even bigger out of the box, makes me want to buy it even more.

--Faramir

I am overwhelmed. That is truly an amazing set. Though I have not bought Lego for some time, I am considering going back to get these cool Space Factory Sets. Original space was before my time, so I never experienced the theme. This set looks truly amazing.

Thanks a heap for this great review Dunamis, I really love this Star Justice set! Like you say it has a definite updated classic feel, and the vehicles are fantastic.

However, if I manage to get one (And I hope I can) It will probably be Space Skulls. Thanks to Admiral Giddens and Grand Admiral for designing these sets, I can't wait to see the next review.

Also, Dunamis, could you please post a pic of the alternate models if you have time?

Stalking iamded! >:-)

Good score & a nice review dunamis *y*!

The set looks nice and has a classic spacey feel. Though I´m not a CS-head I´d could see myself buying this set if the price is right.

So let´s hope the price sometime will be right ;-)! Now I´m eagerly waiting for sne to drop in this tread and drop dead out of joy X-D!

CS has a future & it´s here On

copmike

Graeat review, Dunamis ^_^ thank you.

I don't know what to think about stickers on minifigs... good bodies for statues, but for children, the decals will... well, you know what happens when you mix kids'n'stickers ^_^

And waw overpriced, I was waiting a 1000+ pieces for that price... nevertheless, a beauty of set.

By the way, check a comment in the second photograph, you typed "19192" instead of 10192".

HEY,

Put the gold star on the Admiral Giddens with goatee fig your you get demoted! C'MON!

Thanks for the review! I'm so very glad you had fun building it.

Ack! Sorry 'bout that Admiral! I'll fix him up right away when I get home.

I really enjoyed your designs. Well done!

By the way, check a comment in the second photograph, you typed "19192" instead of 10192".

Right you are! I've already fixed it. Thank you.

Also, Dunamis, could you please post a pic of the alternate models if you have time?

Unfortunately, there are no alternate models in the instructions. Perhaps the good Admiral has some to share?