legoindy01

Spongebob line over soon?

How much longer can the Spongbob line last. There are no plans that we've heard of for new sets and really what new sets can they make? It's not like I ever did like any of the sets in the first place. The sets were poorly built and really never got my attention. I think the Spongebob line will be replaced by the upcoming disney lines. What do you think?

Chances are yes. The fact that only two sets came out this year and they were rehashes means we can assume it is dying. But you never know with these things.

Chances are yes. The fact that only two sets came out this year and they were rehashes means we can assume it is dying. But you never know with these things.

Well according to brickipedia there is an upcoming set called "The flying dutchmans ship" But I am 99% sure it's a hoax. To tell the truth I hate Lego spongebob avatar was awesome but the sponge sucks I hope they stop making Lego spongebob.

To tell the truth I hate Lego spongebob avatar was awesome but the sponge sucks I hope they stop making Lego spongebob.

This thread seems to be based completely off of individual opinions. Will the line end, maybe it will, maybe it won't. I don't know, nobody knows. Batman was an extremely successful line when it ended, and the tumbler was one of the most wanted toys for last christmas, however lego didn't make enough and canceled the line the next year. It doesn't make any cense, but that's what they did. Good, bad, or so-so, lego keeps making sets until their ready to move onto the next thing. Bionicle has been going down hill for a long time, and that theme shows no signs of stopping.

There are no plans that we've heard of for new sets and really what new sets can they make?

We haven't heard anything about 2010 except that lego is doing a new disney theme. Based on your theory, Star Wars and Indiana Jones could also end next year. They don't have to keep making sets even if they have the license for the product.

I never loved the Spongebob sets, but I still can't understand why people hate it so much.

Edited by Tinn-man

We haven't heard anything about 2010 except that lego is doing a new disney theme. Based on your theory, Star Wars and Indiana Jones could also end next year. They don't have to keep making sets even if they have the license for the product.

I never loved the Spongebob sets, but I still can't understand why people hate it so much.

I'm not talking about 2010, who knows what will happen in '10 but I mean later this year in 2009 we already know about the new Indy and Star Wars sets for the summer but I've heard nothing about the spongebob summer sets. And the Indiana Jones and Star Wars Liscences are some of Legos most popular themes the odds of those lines ending next year are slim to none. however the star wars liscence ends in 2011

Well according to brickipedia there is an upcoming set called "The flying dutchmans ship" But I am 99% sure it's a hoax. To tell the truth I hate Lego spongebob avatar was awesome but the sponge sucks I hope they stop making Lego spongebob.

really. can you give a link to the page. I want to the see this for myself.

Edited by legoindy01

I'm not talking about 2010, who knows what will happen in '10 but I mean later this year in 2009 we already know about the new Indy and Star Wars sets for the summer but I've heard nothing about the spongebob summer sets. And the Indiana Jones and Star Wars Liscences are some of Legos most popular themes the odds of those lines ending next year are slim to none. however the star wars liscence ends in 2011

Well, usually Spongebob is a once a year wave, so TLG only releases Spongebob sets in either the January wave or the June-July wave, this year was a January wave, so we probably won't see anymore spongebob sets this year anyway, unless we get another exclusive like the hospital last year, which was released about October (when most of the second wave exclusives are released). And I don't actually think that Star Wars of Indy will end next year, I was just using them as an example :wink: . Plus, lego is good at keeping late year exclusives under wraps very well (like the death star).

Well, usually Spongebob is a once a year wave, so TLG only releases Spongebob sets in either the January wave or the June-July wave, this year was a January wave, so we probably won't see anymore spongebob sets this year anyway, unless we get another exclusive like the hospital last year, which was released about October (when most of the second wave exclusives are released). And I don't actually think that Star Wars of Indy will end next year, I was just using them as an example :wink: . Plus, lego is good at keeping late year exclusives under wraps very well (like the death star).

true. we probably will get maybe 1 or 2 new sets this year

last year will be the end of spongebob if it doesnt finish this year :cry_sad: btu TLC does have to make the flying dutchmans ship and a proper KK and maybe the Bikini Bottom Downtown core :tongue:

I hate it when people criticize SpongeBob. If you don't have anything nice to say about SpongeBob, PLEASE SHUT THE HELL UP!

I wanted the line to continue, but it seems we've reached an impact. They should've kept SpongeBob for one more year, since THIS YEAR is his 10th anniversary. Why doesn't anyone here realize that SpongeBob is 10 years old now?! He's been on Nickelodeon since May 1999! Disney is OK, but I just wish LEGO would finish what they've started. If I worked for LEGO, I would keep the Nickelodeon licensing deal for another 10 years, shred any documents featuring a licensing deal with LEGO and Disney, and improve on the the SpongeBob sets A LOT more. This is the second time Disney has ever bent over backwards for LEGO. I remember the first time it happened. It ended in disaster. The license with Nickelodeon is far from over. They still have much to improve on! I can't believe they haven't released any Jimmy Neutron or Fairly Odd Parents LEGO sets yet. Disney hasn't really interested me, other than the cartoon, Doug (which of course carried over to Disney from Nickelodeon with the buyout of JUMBO Pictures), or the Pixar Films, like Toy Story, Cars, or Wall-E. I really hope this deal with Disney is as short lived as the deal in 2000 was, so that, in the next couple of years, they can go with another licensing deal with Nickelodeon, and not make the sets look so minimalist.

SpongeBob Rules!

--Justin

I most certainly hope they don't stop it, i simply love it! :thumbup:

Could you please watch your tone when expressing your opinion, thanks!

I hate it when people criticize SpongeBob. If you don't have anything nice to say about SpongeBob, PLEASE SHUT THE HELL UP!

I wanted the line to continue, but it seems we've reached an impact. They should've kept SpongeBob for one more year, since THIS YEAR is his 10th anniversary. Why doesn't anyone here realize that SpongeBob is 10 years old now?! He's been on Nickelodeon since May 1999! Disney is OK, but I just wish LEGO would finish what they've started. If I worked for LEGO, I would keep the Nickelodeon licensing deal for another 10 years, shred any documents featuring a licensing deal with LEGO and Disney, and improve on the the SpongeBob sets A LOT more. This is the second time Disney has ever bent over backwards for LEGO. I remember the first time it happened. It ended in disaster. The license with Nickelodeon is far from over. They still have much to improve on! I can't believe they haven't released any Jimmy Neutron or Fairly Odd Parents LEGO sets yet. Disney hasn't really interested me, other than the cartoon, Doug (which of course carried over to Disney from Nickelodeon with the buyout of JUMBO Pictures), or the Pixar Films, like Toy Story, Cars, or Wall-E. I really hope this deal with Disney is as short lived as the deal in 2000 was, so that, in the next couple of years, they can go with another licensing deal with Nickelodeon, and not make the sets look so minimalist.

SpongeBob Rules!

--Justin

I agree with you. and yes i have known that this was spongebob's tenth aniversary for quite some time now. and lets face it the line is not the best designed or the best selling but I think that lego should stick with the nickelodeon liscence and improve on what the already have. But I'm just sayin' the line can't last for much longer what new sets can the make? the disney liscence is a cheap gimic to get money. And by the way Jimmy neutron and fairly odd parents probably aren't the best themes for lego. Perhaps back at the barnyard or the mighty bee could be made.

:wink:

Edited by legoindy01

Spongbob line over soon?, could spongebob be at the end of his rope

I sure hope so.

The statement above is a personal opinion and means no harm to anyone.

... sometimes I don't understand this site, really. Someone is critizised by a mod cause he says he hates a Lego theme (and I really don't want to know how often someone here wrote the same about Bionicle, Clone Wars or Galidor without anything happening) - and then someone else can tell him to "PLEASE SHUT THE HELL UP"?

:hmpf_bad:

anyway, back to topic: I am always interested in the choices TLC makes, and since I have some contacts to employees, I heard about the european market that Spongebob is only running so so. (And btw, Batman didn't sell that good in Europe. The US is crazy about superheroes, but not us here it seems) If there was no Disney contract, I would say it would continue a few years longer, but I guess this marks the end of Spongebob. Also it is sad to see something ending with only 2 sets. It was sad with Batman, sad with Harry Potter, sad with Mars Mission - and I was already afraid a few years ago that the OT section of SW died slowly, I was wrong! Anyway, I don't want to see Indy getting down like this. Better a strong year like 2009 and then Finito.

Zzz out

Edited by Zzz

... sometimes I don't understand this site, really. Someone is critizised by a mod cause he says he hates a Lego theme (and I really don't want to know how often someone here wrote the same about Bionicle, Clone Wars or Galidor without anything happening) - and then someone else can tell him to "PLEASE SHUT THE HELL UP"?

anyway, back to topic: I am always interested in the choices TLC makes, and since I have some contacts to employees, I heard about the european market that Spongebob is only running so so. (And btw, Batman didn't sell that good in Europe. The US is crazy about superheroes, but not us here it seems) If there was no Disney contract, I would say it would continue a few years longer, but I guess this marks the end of Spongebob. Also it is sad to see something ending with only 2 sets. It was sad with Batman, sad with Harry Potter, sad with Mars Mission - and I was already afraid a few years ago that the OT section of SW died slowly, I was wrong! Anyway, I don't want to see Indy getting down like this. Better a strong year like 2009 and then Finito.

Zzz out

Does this mean the line is officialy over? I agree with you on your opinions. And because you have contacts with lego what are the saying about the Indy line? :wink:

Zzz out

I personally hate to bend over backwards for people who criticize, since I do not take criticism lightly. I heard some people dislike the sets, but I personally think they should keep comments like "this sucks" to themselves.

I personally hate to bend over backwards for people who criticize, since I do not take criticism lightly. I heard some people dislike the sets, but I personally think they should keep comments like "this sucks" to themselves.

and this is coming from the same guy who wrote "PLEASE SHUT THE HELL UP"? :alien:

One of the things I've learned this week is to keep "colorful" opinions to myself on EB. I don't know if any of the staff has read over this thread, but if they do, I'm sure they won't be too happy about that.

Another thing I've had a refresher on is that everyone is entitled to their own opinion. If he wants to say he hates it, he has every right to. You have a right to say you love them, don't you? :classic: You didn't design the sets, I really don't see why you are so offended.

The last thing I've learned this week is that if I don't like something, look away. :classic: No one's forcing you to agree with, or even look at the comments of other people. There are tons of people out there who bash Lego, but we don't sit on this board and complain about them. We give our own opinions. :sweet:

-darthperson

@ darthperson- you seem to have gotten that off your chest. I agree fully, you are better off concealing your extreme opinions for the sake of others.

There are tons of people out there who bash Lego

Really? Where I live everybody loves them, never once anybody who would ever bash lego.

I'm sorry for the harsh words. I just don't like it when people criticize.

Edited by Justin

I had read somewhere in the article of the new Lego licenses that Spongebob was being picked up by Megabloks, it may have been on LAML podcast.

Opinions are fine on Eurobricks, just don't act rudely towards others, people may have strong feelings towards or against themes, but insulting peoples opinions isn't really on. Glad to see the whole situation is simmering down.

More Spongebob On! :classic:

I saw a lot of discounted Spongebob sets in dept. stores in Munich when I was there last Christmas (incidentally I didn't pick up the boating school for €20 as despite the value, I figured I'd rather spend the money on new sets. Besides, another store had City Airport for €30, although even that I passed on).

On the flip side, toy stores here in Ireland are stocking truckloads of Spongebob sets *for the first time* this year. Seems a bit crazy if the line will end (even if it doesn't it seems odd to suddenly stock so much so late in the theme's life after stocking none of it so far). Incidentally not much sign of the stock shifting, but it can be hard to tell (one of the main stores has large inventory and keeps the shelves well stocked at all times). Still, by contrast you can tell from intermittant gaps appearing and prominent displays that Pirates and Power Miners seem to be popular and Agents is almost sold out! So it's not in the same league as those for sure!

Why is it that people do not like Spongebob Lego? It isn't harming you in any way, and you are not forced into buying the sets. If you don't like the sets, don't buy them. Sitting around making topics that complain about them not going away soon is seriously stupid.

-Omi

Why is it that people do not like Spongebob Lego?

In my opinion, and this may be the opinion of others. Spongebob just isn't really a good fit for legos. The first time I saw spongebob building block sets I thought they were Megablocks haha. I'm not saying the sets are bad, it just doesn't seem like the theme you would expect to find in a lego store next to Star Wars, Castle, Pirates, Bioncle, Mars Mission, Indiana Jones, ect. There is almost an infinite possibility of other themes that you can build from that's not limited to Bikini Bottom. However I am sure many people out there enjoy spongebob sets which is good. That is what legos are for.