Sign in to follow this  
Bonaparte

Index: MOCs based on paintings

3378119894_af21fdd962_o.gif

:jollyroger: MOCs Based on Paintings Index :jollyroger:

What is this index for?

The MOCs Based on Paintings Index is for all the MOCs based on artwork in the Pirates MOCs forum.

How is this indexed?

The MOCs Based of Paintings Index is indexed in chronological order.

Anyway you can help?

You can help by giving suggestions and informing us about items that have not been indexed. You can ask questions, give suggestions, and inform us about items that have not been indexed in this very topic

To what extent is this updated?

Behold! This index's content needs to be updated! Please bare with us while we work on it.

The Index

Napoleon's Retreat From Moscow by Adolph Northern (1828 - 1876)

Sitting in the ashes of a ruined city without having received the Russian capitulation, and facing a Russian maneuver forcing him out of Moscow, Napoleon started his long retreat. Supplying the army became an impossibility - the lack of grass weakened the army's remaining horses, almost all of which died or were killed for food by starving soldiers. Only about 22,000 of Napoleon's men survived the Russian campaign.

napoleons_retreat_from_moscow.jpg

napoleons_retreat_from_moscow-lego.jpg

Go here to discuss this MOC made by TinyPiesRUs

The Death of Nelson by Benjamin West (1738 - 1820)

This painting shows the great British naval hero Lord Nelson on the deck of his ship 'Victory' at the Battle of Trafalgar in 1805. He lies dying after being shot by a French sniper. The painting is not completely accurate, as Nelson died below decks, where he was carried after being wounded.

west.jpg

deathofnelson.jpg

Austrians Thermopyles by Albrecht Adam (1786 - 1862)

After the indecisive outcome of the battle of Aspen in 1809 the question was who (French or Austrians) will be the first to gather enough of reinforcement. To this avail French troops from Italy rushed towards Vienna, defeating some sporadic resistance on their way. The spots were a small number of defenders put a rather heroic defence were Naborje (Malborghetto) in Canale valley, Predel Pass, Col and Razdrto Pass.

malb-2.jpg

hensel.jpg

Go here to discuss this MOC made by Woody64.

Hougoumont by Robert Gibb (1845 - 1932)

At Waterloo, Wellington had the reinforced farm Hougomont anchoring his right flank, and several other farms on his left. A crucial element of the French plan of battle was to draw Wellington's reserve to his right flank in defense of Hougomont, but French attacks on the farm were eventually unsuccessful (though at one point they succeeded in breaking the door down) and Wellington's reserves were not drawn away from his center.

coldst14.jpg

comparisontb8.jpg

Go here to discuss this MOC made by TinyPiesRUs.

The morning before Waterloo by Aylward

Wellington rose around 02:00 or 03:00 on the morning of 18 June, and wrote letters until dawn. He had written to Bl�cher confirming with him that he would give battle at Mont St Jean provided Bl�cher would provide him with at least a corps, otherwise he would retreat towards Brussels. After 06:00 Wellington was out supervising the deployment of his forces. In the painting, the Duke of Wellington Accepts a cup of tea from the 1st Battalion 95th Rifles.

mobewa1.jpg

mobewa-lego.jpg

British Cavalry Attack

This one is based on a model box picture. Here's the description from a site that sells these: Reenact "Waterloo" (Napoleonic War 1815) with This Historic Battle Game Set. Plastic 1/72 Scale Figures: French Infantry and British Heavy Cavalry. From the Makers at Italeri.

ita06101.jpg

dscf2100ow3.jpg

Austrian Artillery at Essling 1809 by Keith Rocco

Savage fighting had marked the first day and a half of the Battle of Aspern-Essling, as both towns changed hands, back and forth, each attack provoking a furious counter-attack. With backs to the Danube, the Grande Armee had to stand and endure everything the Archduke and his inspired army could throw at them. For many Frenchmen, the worst came at the end, as the exhausted Austrians left it to their artillery to exact a high toll in vengence for so many defeats.

austrian_gunners.jpg

artillery.jpg

Archeduke Charles at Aspern by J.P. Krafft

It shows the Archeduke Charles at the battle of Aspern-Esslingen. The Museum add's the comment that the picture was surely inspired by Napoleon crossing the St.Bernhard (J.L.David)

478px-Erzherzog-Karl.jpg

img_2913.jpg

Go here to discuss this MOC made by Woddy64.

Jerome's Attack on Hougoumont by Mark Churms

This one is Hougoumont, by Mark Churms. It is of a French attack on the Sothern part of Hougoumont under Jerome, Napoleon's brother, during the Battle of Waterloo.

dhm252.jpg

DSCF2357.png

Go here to discuss this MOC by TinyPiesRUs and click on the MOC's picture to view TinyPiesRUs's image folder.

Kutuzov at Borodino by an unknown artist

Borodino was a battle fought during the French invasion of Russia. Mikhail Kutuzov, the best Russian general of the time, met Napoleon's Grande Armee in September, just outside of Moscow. Napoleon was feeling sick at the time, and launched a headlong attack at the Russians. Both armies suffered huge casualties. Kutuzov decided not to use up all of his troops at Borodino, and decided to retreat the next day, allowing Napoleon to capture Moscow. In the end, around 70,000 men died. It was the bloodiest battle in the Napoleonic Wars.

Kutuzovborodino.jpg

dscf2179bx5.jpg

Go here to discuss this MOC by TinyPiesRUs.

Napoleon Crossing the Alps by Jacques-Louis David

This title is given to the five versions of an oil on canvas equestrian portrait of Napoleon Bonaparte painted by the French artist Jacques-Louis David between 1801 and 1805. Initially commissioned by the Spanish Ambassador to France, the composition shows a strongly idealized view of the real crossing that Napoleon and his army made across the Alps in 1800.

511px-Napoleon4.jpg

napoleon.jpg

Go here to look at Shark's Brickshelf Folder.

"Vive L’Empereur!" 200th Anniversary of Napoleon's Return from Elba

16548538368_cdefc35669.jpg

16120596374_4891c4a29c.jpg

Check out the post by Gary the Procrastinator here.

Great idea Boney!!! *y*

One thing though: Perhaps more members get inspired to build painting vigs because of this index, wich will add more content to the index, wich is good BUT isn't the current information you showed a bit too much

What about only the name and refference to the thread? Or would that be a bit too little?

Great idea Boney!!! *y*

I can't take credit for the idea because Woody64 suggested it in the pirate forum and Phred brought this again to my attention.

One thing though: Perhaps more members get inspired to build painting vigs because of this index, wich will add more content to the index, wich is good BUT isn't the current information you showed a bit too much

What about only the name and refference to the thread? Or would that be a bit too little?

Personally I prefer some lines of explanation about the scenes.

In that case, great idea Woody64 and Phred! *y*

Personally I prefer some lines (not more) of explanation about the scenes.

Fair enough, but the problem is not everyone gives an explanation about the scenes aye?

One could just ask the creator offcourse, but still.

Fair enough, but the problem is not everyone gives an explanation about the scenes aye?

One could just aks the creator offcourse, but still.

In that case we'll just do some searching on the internet.

Can anyone tell me who painted "The morning before Waterloo"?

Good idea! Hmmm...maybe i'm going to make one to.

Hmmm...maybe i'm going to make one to.

You really should.

That's part of the reason I made this index.

But now i need to find a painting....hmmm..maybe i can look in my dad's books over Napoleon or something like that...

In that case we'll just do some searching on the internet.

Can anyone tell me who painted "The morning before Waterloo"?

Morning of Waterloo by Aylward.

The Duke of Wellington Accepts a cup of tea from the 1st Battalion 95th Rifles.

Andreas

But now i need to find a painting....hmmm..maybe i can look in my dad's books over Napoleon or something like that...

You can als do a google picture search using painting and some keywords from the napoleonic area.

for example: painting napoleon storming

You can als do a google picture search using painting and some keywords from the napoleonic area.

for example: painting napoleon storming

but the only ''problem'' are the figs, i don't have any figs i can use for that..and don't have a good printer to print decals....

Morning of Waterloo by Aylward.

Would you happen to know his date of birth and death? ;-)

Like Woody64 already mentioned, with a search engine you can find a lot of paintings related to Napoleonic wars, pirates, Islanders, .....

Some examples:

scotsdg3.jpg

ita06101.jpgdhm494.jpg

but the only ''problem'' are the figs, i don't have any figs i can use for that..and don't have a good printer to print decals....

Maybe a nature scene or something with little figs....

You're not making this easy :-D

Maybe a nature scene or something with little figs....

You're not making this easy :-D

That's the only problem when you are a kid, you have parents who makes the rules...

That's the only problem when you are a kid, you have parents who makes the rules...

Are you saying you're parents tell you what MOCs to make? *wacko*

You're quick to jump on this one which great! *y* But as usual your title graphic really sucks :-P

You lads really need lessons in fundamentals of graphic design and how to create eye catching text...

Are the two best painting inspired MOCs on the web suitable for this index or are they not piratical enough? Anyway, here some other piratical painting based works -

Napoleon by Brickshelf member Shark

The Spirit of '76 by our member Elroy Davis

And Mr. Pies' rendition of the death of Nelson one reminds me of another similar one. *y*

And yet some more non-piratical painting based MOCs.... X-D

My parents never took that much interest in what I build with LEGO. I was so neglected! :'-(

You're quick to jump on this one which great! *y* But as usual your title graphic really sucks :-P

You lads really need lessons in fundamentals of graphic design and how to create eye catching text...

When can you start teaching me?

Are the two best painting inspired MOCs on the web suitable for this index or are they not piratical enough? Anyway, here some other piratical painting based works -

Napoleon by Brickshelf member Shark

The Spirit of '76 by our member Elroy Davis

And Mr. Pies' rendition of the death of Nelson one reminds me of another similar one. *y*

And yet some more non-piratical painting based MOCs.... X-D

Yes, these are some of the best Lego versions of paintings.

But like you indicated, several of them are not piratical enough.

However, they are great inspirations for people who want to try this for themselves.

And that's one of the main reasons this index exists.

I'm sure you could do an excellent job in building a painting ;-)

I also plan to give this a try but first I need to finish sorting all my bricks which might take until the end of the year.

Until that time, all my MOCing activities are on hold.

No, they say that i am ''to old'' for Lego so i can't buy Lego, except Technic.....danm parents :-(

When can you start teaching me?

Yes, it must be done so I don't have to keep revamping the graphics! X-D

Which program did you make that graphic in?

Yes, it must be done so I don't have to keep revamping the graphics! X-D

Which program did you make that graphic in?

I used Paint Shop Pro to make it. That's the only graphics program I now how to use (and coreldraw).

But I recently also installed Adobe photoshop and Fireworks (have to check if it was that one because I'm not at my home PC) but didn't get a chance to use them.

Maybe you can make some kind of tutorial?

We better open another thread to continue this discussion.

No, they say that i am ''to old'' for Lego so i can't buy Lego, except Technic.....danm parents :-(

To old for Lego 8-|

You are only 13.... I'm more than twice your age and I still play with Lego every day.

To old for Lego 8-|

You are only 13.... I'm more than twice your age and I still play with Lego every day.

Yeah, it's irritating....but when i'm out of this house...Lego Ebay is all mine >:-)

Good job, Bonaparte, thanks :-)

ita06101.jpg

Wow, that's a great picture, I havn't seen that one before. I think this'll be my next work... >:-)

But like you indicated, several of them are not piratical enough.

However, they are great inspirations for people who want to try this for themselves.

And that's one of the main reasons this index exists.

I'm sure you could do an excellent job in building a painting ;-)

I also plan to give this a try but first I need to finish sorting all my bricks which might take until the end of the year.

Until that time, all my MOCing activities are on hold.

Yes, I hoped they could provide some motivation for any of the readers despite the lack piratical atmosphere. Are going to include Mr. Davis' and Mr. Shark's work I hyperlinked, however? Here are the original paintings -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archibald_MacNeal_Willard

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napoleon_Crossing_the_Alps

And thank you, as well, but If I ever do create a MOC based on a famous painting I can't guarantee you will be piratical. X-D It's great to hear you'll be making your own attempt, I will await the outcome with eager anticipation!

Wow, that's a great picture, I havn't seen that one before. I think this'll be my next work... >:-)

Excellent! I shall look forward to that one as well. *y*

I'm trying to print some torso decals, maybe i can make a (very) small army for a painting....