Sign in to follow this  
KrakenBits

Vistula Legion

Hello everyone at Eurobricks!

This is my first post at the forum, and I hope you all like what I'm about to show. I'm a big history buff, I love all of it, but my favorite time period to study is definitely the 19th century. And my favorite thing to study about the 19th century is of course, the military history.

Since I am 45% Polish, I do have a natural draw to the nation's history. This is my lego version of the Polish Vistula Legion, one of Napoleon's many sects of foreign soldiers. I threw a Tatar nobleman/ambassador/whatever you want to call it in there, I just thought it would fit.

The figures shown are:

Infantry- "Wojsko kwarciane", permanent soldiers, in contrast to the other kind used by Poland, supplemental soldiers.

Cavalry- "Ulan", Polish for lancer. Polish lancers were famous, and were used in combat for centuries, from the Winged Hussars in the 16th century, up until even WW2.

Artillery- The figures that are manning the artillery are just standard artilleryman. Please note that the cannon design is not mine, I found it on brickshelf and thought it would fit.

Tatar- Tatars were a prominent part of Polish-Lithuanian military, and were also used by Napoleon alongside his Polish auxiliaries.

Sorry the lighting is dark on some of the pictures

polishvf1.jpg

polish3wo3.jpg

polish4me6.jpg

polish7kk4.jpg

polish8he7.jpg

polish9og7.jpg

polish10im7.jpg

polish11gh7.jpg

polish12gv8.jpg

polish14mn2.jpg

polish15io4.jpg

polish16nv8.jpg

polish17yb7.jpg

Awesome another 19th Century buff this is a fine collection of Napoleonic FOL's were assembling. I Love your troops and can't wait for them to expand. The old fireman torso's work well here. Welcome to Eurobricks and specifically Classic-Pirates!

Awesome! I knew I wasn't the only person who used rifles as muskets! :pir-tongue: Seriously, though, nice soldiers, and I :pir-wub: that cannon!

Nice figs, man! :thumbup: Great use of the old firemen torsos, I often use them for 19th century Russian infantry units that fought against Napoleon. Only the Ulans' hats are a little weird. I think Imperial Guards' shakos would look waaaay better.

Yet another thing - I'm pretty sure the term "Wojsko kwarciane" (quarter army) was used for army created by Sigismund II Augustus and used in 16 - 17th century to protect Polish Ukraine from Turks and Tatars. And it consisted mostly of cavalry.

Hej

Very nice minifigs.

I love Cavalry :pir-tongue:

Greetings from Poland (I am 100% Polish)

~Majek

That´s a very fine legion indeed, original, neat and overall really well done. :thumbup:

I like the lance technique on the cavalry with the knife attached via flags. A nice little troop!

Edited by Duke