Sign in to follow this  
KotZ

WIP HMS Artemis

Well, I've finally started on another ship, the HMS Artemis. And no, it's not based on the real one the Royal Navy used. I'm planning on having a 24 or so amount of cannons for each broadside, with two gundecks, and a third deck as the top. I still can't decide on what kind of cannons I should use, custom of official. Here's some shots so far.

pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

pic3.jpg

Here, I added another hull piece:

pic4.jpg

If anybody would like to help make the HMS Artemis a reality, just shoot me a PM with what you would like to donate! :pir-tongue:

I would greatly enjoy feedback!

It looks like you have a good start, but I think maybe I'll be better able to pass judgment when you have more completed. I can't donate at this time though, but I'm certainly willing to accept donations from others. :-)

Thanks, Tycho! And here's what I'm expecting the sides to look like:

pic5.jpg

Those pieces aren't going to be red, but they're just there to show how they'll fit on. There's that flt plate so The top decks can come off with ease, and the parts at the bottom are two 1x2 plates and a flat 1x2 plate. This will make the sides removable for "play", display, brickflicks, etc. I do like the cannon though, instead of making my own, but that all is money, the official cannons. You sure you can't donate? :pir-tongue:

Nice start!

I'm sure that this will look great when it's finished!

I'll be checking back on this thread regularly to see the ship progress :pir-classic:

Looks like a nice project :pir-classic:

But if you don't have the money for it, maybe you'd start with a smaller ship first (or less cannons, thei're really expensive!)

I like the colourscheme, and LDD is a good way to start with your ship, I did the same thing with the Vesta.

Good luck anyway :thumbup:

Well, Admiral Croissant, I might not even buy the cannons at all, and brick build them. But this isn't a "buy at once" sort of ship. This will take a few months at the least. But remember, donations! :pir-tongue: Here's some more pics (you guys must be thinking I'm crazy for making all these updates within a few hours).

pic6.jpg

Here's how she looks with two gun decks' height. Does it look a little weird with the slope, then straight, then slope again?

pic7.jpg

pic8.jpg

My least favorite part so far is the ladder. I can't get it right. And this might be a better question for Perfectionist, but how do I make that grate slide into the hole?

Sorry for the double post, but UPDATE:

Here's a shot of the stern so far:

pic9.jpg

Another:

pic10.jpg

A third:

pic11.jpg

The back has been sloped, so far.

And here's leading to the next gundeck:

pic13.jpg

I still need to do that grate, or else I can't finish the next gundeck.... my brother (Capt.JohnPaul) says "Of course! That's some ingenious redcoat thinking! Stairs leading to a pit!"..... well I say, "Well, with that grate over it, that's where the little Bluecoats stay after we capture them!"

Comments are more than welcome. :pir-classic:

"I still need to do that grate, or else I can't finish the next gundeck.... my brother (Capt.JohnPaul) says "Of course! That's some ingenious redcoat thinking! Stairs leading to a pit!"..... well I say, "Well, with that grate over it, that's where the little Bluecoats stay after we capture them!"

Comments are more than welcome. :pir-classic:"

What ingenious redcoat thinking! You said it was for bluecoats to walk into, but you just explained to me privately that it is the place where you put REDcoats. :pir_laugh2: Good work though.

So far, this looks great! :pir-sweet: There is one thing I would change though, the white doors. I just think that the look a little out of place.

-

General Redwater

That's some ingenious redcoat thinking! Stairs leading to a pit!"

Well, you need some place to put all the rum and the bigger the pit, the more rum it can holdpirate_tong.gif . Strange that bluecoats can't seem to comprehend rum storage.pirate_sceptic.gif

Overall, not bad for a first ship. I would suggust trying to make the cabbin smaller. Real life ships had pretty small cabins. The side of the cabbins also had a bulge. For the ladder I would use this piece. It might require some modifications but it looks a lot better. You should also make the space between gunports at least 3 studs insted of 2. The guns are much too cramped and while you can fit more guns in with 2 studs, 3 or more looks a lot better. Also, I never knew that they had hull pieces in LDD am I missing something?

Overall, good job. Keep up the good work and I can't wait to see this ship with bricks.

Well, you need some place to put all the rum and the bigger the pit, the more rum it can holdpirate_tong.gif . Strange that bluecoats can't seem to comprehend rum storage.pirate_sceptic.gif

Overall, not bad for a first ship. I would suggust trying to make the cabbin smaller. Real life ships had pretty small cabins. The side of the cabbins also had a bulge. For the ladder I would use this piece. It might require some modifications but it looks a lot better. You should also make the space between gunports at least 3 studs insted of 2. The guns are much too cramped and while you can fit more guns in with 2 studs, 3 or more looks a lot better. Also, I never knew that they had hull pieces in LDD am I missing something?

Overall, good job. Keep up the good work and I can't wait to see this ship with bricks.

First of all, finally, another sensible person! Maybe we can drink rum once she's finished... well, I don't drink, or even like soda!

For the cabin, I know they were slightly cramped, but just for the ease of playability, brickfilming, my sig fig liking a nice big room, etc., I'm not taking your advice on that. And as for the bulge, I thought about adding it in, but With how I was having trouble building around the missing stern, I thought to not add it for the sake of simplicity. Also, I've worked on it ALL day, and I've already started an are above that cabin, and it's coming alonfg so well, the bulge isn't an option anymore. And I have seen some ships without the bulge.

And for the ladder, how would i add those in to make it slope? I tried to do it, but I couldn't seem to find out how. And for the gunports, I know 3 is better, but I like more cannons. she looks more fearsome, and so all the Bluecoats shall tremble in fear when they see the HMS Artemis coming towards them! :pir-tongue: And I'm still debating on whether brick-built cannons or official cannons are the way to go, and that's not even considering a crew for the cost.

And LDD does have the mid-sections, just in LEGO Universe mode. they also have the Viking bow/stern piece, but niether the old pirate bows and sterns, nor the new ones.

And General Redwater, those white doors are the only color they come in, so otherwise they won't change, unless you can find me some in black or yellow!

I've been working on the ship all day, as i said, and she is getting a bit to close for comfort to being finished!! Thanks for all the comments, everybody and believe me, she is going to look great!

Nice work, im glad to see when this is finished. Too bad at i cant use Universe mode, my compute wont let me to start the program so i have to go whit normal LDD, but i can make ships too but its harder when i cant use all the pieces what i want. Anyway keep it up

Captain Becker

Ok, I've been working on the ship a bit more, but I can't get the stern right. i'm rying to build around the old one. Any help? Here's what I have so far:

pic14.jpg

Thanks, Captain Becker. And that stinks about the LU mode, but brick-built ships always look really stunning.

Its looking good so far!

I don't really have any experience with building ships so I can't really help you with the stern.

Good luck anyway :pir-classic:

Thanks for the comments guys!

Admiral Croissant, sorry about the pictures. Should I resize the current ones, or all the ones I do from now on? I completely forgot about the size limit! I've been looking at the Achille & Guerriere, as a matter of fact, and I love The Vesta. I now see that the cabin is too tall, and I need to fix that. But that leads to the other end of the ship: The bow. I'm having a hard time with that. It's hard to build around something that isn't there! :pir-tongue: Especially when it's on a computer!

Thanks for all the comments and help so far, everybody!

If you want to make totally brickbuild hull, i can try to make file at you can watch how i do it, but you can always look CGH`s build a frigate tutorial where is a very nice tutorial for the bow. Best of luck for this.

Captain Becker

Edited by Captain Becker

If you want to make totally brickbuild hull, i can try to make file at you can watch how i do it, but you can always look CGH`s build a frigate tutorial where is a very nice tutorial for the bow. Best of luck for this.

Captain Becker

That would be very helpful, Captain Becker! The hull would be very useful, and by all means, if you would like to, you can. I've been looking at CGH's tutorial, and I think I've got the gist, but with the angle(the 1x4 plates that adjust in the middle, *sorry, I don't know the correct name for it*) pieces, how do they connect to the other parts?

Thanks again!

Are you talking about this and this piece? If you are, they just connect on like other normal bricks.

No, but rather this piece and this piece. The two you showed me aren't in the HMS Artemis (well, so far at least :pir-tongue: ). The two I showed you are for curving the bow.

Oh I see. Well, they just snap together in the middle to form one larger piece and then you just connect them to the hull.

Oh I see. Well, they just snap together in the middle to form one larger piece and then you just connect them to the hull.

I think I need to explain better. I have that middle part and what not all bent, but I can't connect it to other parts that would be on the hull.

I have this (taken from CGH;s tutorial):

step4-d.jpg

But I can't get this:

step7-e.jpg

I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, LDD won't allow that sort of physics, if CGH is some sort of mythological LEGO ship builder, or if I can only do that part with physical bricks.... I think it's a mix of all of them. Any ideas?

And thanks for all the help so far, Captain Genaro.

I'm not sure I understand but I will do my best.

First off, the hinge pieces only connect to the hull at one spot. the rest of it curves arround the outside.

step4-d.jpg

For the second picture, he just built bricks up on top of the hinge pieces. Does that help?

I would also suggust experementing with lego pieces that you already have to see what works and what does not. There are many things that you can do in real life that you can't do in LDD.

Well, I think we're both just getting confused now. I do have an extra bow piece, so I can be doing some experimenting. Unfortunately, I'll be on vacation for the next week, so no new updates or anything. I might find time to get on here at EB, but nothing more. But when I get back, work on the ship will be finished ASAP.

Sorry for the double post. I just returned from vacation (about two days ago and I just now started to work on the HMS Artemis). I saw the USS Elissa and I studied her from afar and noticed a good amount of details for inspiration for my ship. Anyway, I think I finally got a nice design for the bow.

pic15.jpg

What do you guys think?