El Bucanero

BS Find: The Scimitar

indexed.gif 12c

I am surprised there was no thread about this wonderful ship before. So I made one...

Behold the Scimitar, a 24 gun frigate from the hand of Stephen Rowe, known as ratmfan on BS.

Isn't it a beauty!

scim3.jpg

A view on the upper deck, the cannons are very cramped, caused by the ships tumblehome, although if there was no tumblehome, the ship wouldn't be such a beauty.

deckshot.jpg

I love the look of the stern, it looks very authentic.

deck2.jpg

La folder

Enjoy it, like I did!

Look at all those non shooting cannons - they're going to be screwed if someone attacks them...

deckshot.jpg

Don't forget the guns on the gun deck *skull*

broadsideopen.jpg

It is unclear to me, wheter it are all shooting, or non-shooting cannons, but I do see some shooting cannons.

I like the look of the non-shooting guns better then the look of a shooting cannon...Have you ever see a real cannon with a pin inside?

Don't forget the guns on the gun deck *skull*

broadsideopen.jpg

It is unclear to me, wheter it are all shooting, or non-shooting cannons, but I do see some shooting cannons.

I like the look of the non-shooting guns better then the look of a shooting cannon...Have you ever see a real cannon with a pin inside?

A non-shooting cannon can be recognized by the crossed cannons mark on top. I have 2 or 3 non-shooting cannons that I purchased some time ago with a shed load of minifigs, horses and rowboats. One non-shooting cannon that I own does not have the "casted" crossed cannons markings but it has a different color end pin. I prefer the euro cannons myself with the 1x1 round bricks. All of my ships have that and the non-shooting cannons are my reason for not buying ships from US sellers.

It doesn't really matter that it has mostly nonshooting cannons (these look better anyway). I mean, Lego flintlocks don't shoot either; that's for your imagination. :-D

All of my ships have that and the non-shooting cannons are my reason for not buying ships from US sellers.

The older ships do come with shooting cannons in the US. I've gotten 3 Caribbean Clippers from US sellers and each one had a different type of cannon.

It doesn't really matter that it has mostly nonshooting cannons (these look better anyway). I mean, Lego flintlocks don't shoot either; that's for your imagination. :-D

A gun once talked to me in my imagination... must have been the booze X-D

The older ships do come with shooting cannons in the US. I've gotten 3 Caribbean Clippers from US sellers and each one had a different type of cannon.

A non-shooting cannon can be recognized by the crossed cannons mark on top. I have 2 or 3 non-shooting cannons that I purchased some time ago with a shed load of minifigs, horses and rowboats. One non-shooting cannon that I own does not have the "casted" crossed cannons markings but it has a different color end pin. I prefer the euro cannons myself with the 1x1 round bricks. All of my ships have that and the non-shooting cannons are my reason for not buying ships from US sellers.

Thanks I know that, but I can look trough the deck right, I can't see the cannons on the gundeck! *pirate*

Why no I haven't sir! But really the shooting cannons are only a gimmick they don't actually serve a purpose in the apperance of the set - unless you like the crossed cannon emblem found on the non shooting ones.

All of my ships have that and the non-shooting cannons are my reason for not buying ships from US sellers.

Is there are a particular reason you prefer shooting cannons?

Yes, the reason is that is the way Lego intended it. The non-shooting cannons were introduced due to restricted laws in the US. They were supposedly hazardous to little children and prohibited. Lego was forced to make a change, I prefer originality and purity as it was meant to be.

Probably a crap reason but hey, I needed to come up with something!

I Prefer shooting since it doesn't have the cross thing. The ship has a couple shooting ones, at least the can pop a whole in another ship or, uhm something. They'd be better throwing the canon balls than have non-shooting canons on board, just look at all that dead weight!

I've heard something similiar in the past but I haven't heard anything official. However, there is obviously a reason behind it, but what I don't understand is shooting toy cannons are considered unsuitable for children in the US but its easy (easier than a lot of other places that is) to obtain a lethal firearm. Why is this so?

With these shooting canons, I think you could really poke an eye out with these. Differiential of laws possibly, US laws are strict, lots of shooting items have that symbal with a kid getting poked in the eye with whatever. If the us laws were really strict, they'd require an orange circle on the edge of the shooting item :-D .

They just wanted their own ''unique american style'' cannon or so... |-/

Are you being serious Mr Tiber, or is that sarcasm/cyncism or something to that effect?

With these shooting canons, I think you could really poke an eye out with these. Differiential of laws possibly, US laws are strict, lots of shooting items have that symbal with a kid getting poked in the eye with whatever.

A real fire arm would poke a lot more than just an eye...

With these shooting canons, I think you could really poke an eye out with these.

If you said choke, I would agree (although you don't need a shooting cannon to choke in a cone)

But poke an eye out? I think the cannons used in technic, EXO Force and 4+ pirate sets can do a lot more damage, even with the soft top.

Are you being serious Mr Tiber, or is that sarcasm/cyncism or something to that effect?

Well, like the answer on ImperialScouts quote, I think the technic cannons can do a lot more damage, so you can say that I'm serious...

Well, if your saying poking an eye out is just nothing much, why not I poke yours. :-P

What more damage can this thing do!?! I mean, it's a rubber/brick thing, it possibly can't do much on skin, it's like a fly shootting a minscul gun at you, the miniscul bullet will just bounce off.

Anyway, lets get back to the Scimitar since this is what the thread is really about!

scimstern1.jpg

What do we think of the stern? After seeing Sir Scott's stern and Mr Tiber's stern from the Acheron, this one looks rather modest I think....

The stern is quite nice, IMO, the color scheme doesn't blend too well.

(Sorry for bringing the topic a little off topic.)

You don't think it looks too "bricky"?

There aren't enough bricks above the windows leaving gaps - is that intentional or is it a mistake?

Me personally? No, can't do a damn thing to fix this one I can't. However, the builder might be able. Sir Scott seems to have found ways of designing a rather awesome stern without any "brickyness", have you seen what I'm referring to Imperial Scouts?

I've never built a stern before but I assume reversed slopes may provide a smoother alternative...

Me personally? No, can't do a damn thing to fix this one I can't. However, the builder might be able. Sir Scott seems to have found ways of designing a rather awesome stern without any "brickyness", have you seen what I'm referring to Imperial Scouts?

I've never built a stern before but I assume reversed slopes may provide a smoother alternative...

can you post a pic of that stern?

please :-) .There are smooth slopes, but interpreting them into the rest of the cabin is quite hard.

What do we think of the stern? After seeing Sir Scott's stern and Mr Tiber's stern from the Acheron, this one looks rather modest I think....

Mister Phes!! SirScott made a lot of ships, and every ship has his own stern! So which one do you mean?

And does that means that you like the Acheron's stern??

i don't really speak phes-anese but i think he means that he likes the stern of the acheron... but i'm still not sure. i'll go get my phes-anese to english dictionary...