Ramses25

[MOC/MOD] First Order TIE/Fo TIE Fighter

Hello everybody !

After looking to the Belkor TIE Fighter MOC and get his LDD file (thank you a lot !), I wanted to get a First Order TIE Fighter.
I'm not very good at building, I prefer moding, so I used his TIE Fighter to get my First Order one.

Link to the Belkor TIE :
http://www.eurobrick...howtopic=114474

Except for the color change, there is some more modifications, like changing the wings to fit the LEGO Special Forces TIE Fighter, the interior, the canons, the antenna and a complete redisign of the rear part with engines placed correctly.
Unfortunately, it is only built in LLD and not real brick built. Hope you'll like it !

first-order-tie-1--4fbbc55.png
first-order-tie-2--4fbbc57.png
first-order-tie-3--4fbbc59.png
first-order-tie-4--4fbbc61.png
first-order-tie-5--4fbbc63.png

And here is the LLD file ! http://www.sendspace.com/file/g8k5oa

Ramses25

Edited by Ramses25

It looks pretty nice, nice attention to detail. I does look a bit too wide, or perhaps its a perspective thing and the arms are too thin. However the way the main body connects to the wings is way too flimsy, they pop off way too easily that way. Maybe use the SF TIE fighters way of connecting to the wings? Belkor made his modification before the recent TLG version was released.

Edited by khatmorg

Nice touch to the interior/cockpit. The only real thing that is missing are the spokes on the backsides of the solar panels. It does appear to be a bit wider than the SF tie fighter. If I were you, Id use the official Lego SF tie fighter as a point of reference to determine the width of the FO/Tie fighter.

Hi Ramses25, nice to see your own take on the FO TIE!!

Sorry to highjack your thread slightly, but since posting my original I shortened the wing span by 2 studs and beefed up the attachment points (by burying the angular plates in the wings). They're pretty solid now and swoosh very well indeed :)

sAbQK61.jpg

duap8rY.jpg

ZC6xfMC.jpg

I does look a bit too wide, or perhaps its a perspective thing and the arms are too thin. [...] Maybe use the SF TIE fighters way of connecting to the wings?

Yes, my TIE Fighter was one stud wider than the official SF TIE Fighter I tried the SF TIE way of connecting to the wings but it doesn't give something esthetically good for me ;)

Sorry to highjack your thread slightly, but since posting my original I shortened the wing span by 2 studs and beefed up the attachment points (by burying the angular plates in the wings). They're pretty solid now and swoosh very well indeed

What a good idea you had ! Burying the attachment ! So I made it on my TIE Fighter, but I didn't reduce the wing pylons because I find them perfect the way they are. After this modification, here is the final version :

first-order-tie-fighter-v.3-4fc34bd.png

first-order-tie-fighter-v.32-4fc34c3.png

LDD file updated in the first post.

Ramses25

Edited by Ramses25

Good work! I also really appreciate bleacher's improvement of his model, the connection to the wings is nearly perfect. Myself, i've adopted a similar solution in a recent MOC (Vader's TIE advanced x1) :) The only detail on which I would work is the shape of the pilot cabin, I think that it needs to be a little taller (in terms of "vertical width": just a plate thickness more), as compared to the original TLG basic scheme, providing a more roundish shape. But this is just my opinion, and maybe when i'm able to do a post about my TIE, I'll be able to show what i mean.

Thank you ! :)

I've already made some modifications on the cockpit interior, because the pilot was seating too high in it.

LXF file updated on the first post.

Ramses25

Edited by Ramses25

Another modification : some changes of the interior details and some parts replacements on the rear to make it sturdier.

first-order-tie-f...interior-5026145.png

LDD file : http://www.sendspace.com/file/1jh2u2

I'm working on a Special Forces version from this TIE design, but I have some problems on the engines area at this time.

I also made a OT TIE Fighter and Interceptor ;)

Ramses25

Edited by Ramses25

I'm planning to brick-built it soon.

Before that I have to understand how to make a part-list from .lxf file and order it in brinklink ! ^^

Ramses25

Hi !

Here is some modifications on the engines and the cannons.

And I made some render with bluerender.

Still have to know how to turn an .lxf file into a bricklink partlist to order the pieces !

The whole model is made of 521 bricks, but I kept the same wing as the Official LEGO Special Forces Tie Fighter, so if you want to turn it into a standard TIE/Fo, you will need only 275 bricks !

first-order-tie-fighter-1-5067d06.png

first-order-tie-fighter-2-5067d33.png

Ramses25

I'm planning to brick-built it soon.

Before that I have to understand how to make a part-list from .lxf file and order it in brinklink ! ^^

Still have to know how to turn an .lxf file into a bricklink partlist to order the pieces !

You can use BrickStock (works on Macs), I have used it several times to create a partlist of the wanted items for my projects, such as my own OT TIE Fighter.

28574566453_435cc617a8_c.jpg

Though, word of advice when using BrickStock, the ID for some of the elements in LDD does not match some in BrickStock, so you will have to correct those confusions, but it is a simple task. Then there is also the occurrence of some elements from the LDD file being left out; mostly the relatively new elements, but the way I would handle this is to export the BOM of the LDD file, and then check off, as well make any necessary additions, one by one.

Although if that seems too overwhelming of a task, I can accomplish it for you, by your request :classic:

You can use BrickStock (works on Macs), I have used it several times to create a partlist of the wanted items for my projects, such as my own OT TIE Fighter.

Though, word of advice when using BrickStock, the ID for some of the elements in LDD does not match some in BrickStock, so you will have to correct those confusions, but it is a simple task. Then there is also the occurrence of some elements from the LDD file being left out; mostly the relatively new elements, but the way I would handle this is to export the BOM of the LDD file, and then check off, as well make any necessary additions, one by one.

Although if that seems too overwhelming of a task, I can accomplish it for you, by your request :classic:

I had a look on your TIE Fighter, and it look very nice ! Love how you managed to add the inner spokes ;)

I also take inspiration from your model to make stronger wing connexion on my own model. (I will update the LDD file on the first post). Thank you !

I made a BOM from my LDD file, and donwloaded Brickstock, but I really don't know how to import .lxf file on Brickstock, it don't work for me.

I put my .lxf file here : http://www.sendspace.com/file/l24n5n

If you have time maybe would you made a part-list for me if you can ? It will be very nice ! :)

Thank you !

Ramses25

I made a BOM from my LDD file, and donwloaded Brickstock, but I really don't know how to import .lxf file on Brickstock, it don't work for me.

I put my .lxf file here : http://www.sendspace.com/file/l24n5n

If you have time maybe would you made a part-list for me if you can ? It will be very nice ! :)

Thank you !

Ramses25

The LDD file has to exported into a LDDraw format, then from BrickStock import the file, and make the corrections as I have mentioned.

But, as it is your first time experiencing this, I have no problem handling this for you.

Thank you a lot for your help LiLme :) Yes it's my first time trying to build an MOC and it's a little bit new for me ! ^^

So if I understand it well, I need to download LDraw ( http://www.ldraw.org/ ) and rebuild my model ? Or just export it ?

I will download this program. I will be thankfull if you help me this time but I need to understand how it works for my future models ;)

Ramses25

Thank you a lot for your help LiLme :) Yes it's my first time trying to build an MOC and it's a little bit new for me ! ^^

So if I understand it well, I need to download LDraw ( http://www.ldraw.org/ ) and rebuild my model ? Or just export it ?

I will download this program. I will be thankfull if you help me this time but I need to understand how it works for my future models ;)

Ramses25

Just need to export it, but I will definitely handle it for you; I just need you to finish your model first.

Just need to export it, but I will definitely handle it for you; I just need you to finish your model first.

Thank you a lot ! :)

I finished my model now :) I will wait to have it in real brick before searching ways to improve it, or not !

Here is what I need for my bricklink order : http://www.sendspace.com/file/l24n5n

This is what you need to turn your official LEGO First Order Special Forces TIE Fighter into mine. The whole TIE/Fo model is updated in the first post of the topic ;)

Ramses25

Edited by Ramses25

You honor the working-stock of the empire fleet with this. I've recently tried modifying Vader's tie advanced set to be a bit more movie accurate, and this is good food for thought.

Thank you a lot ! :)

I finished my model now :) I will wait to have it in real brick before searching ways to improve it, or not !

Here is what I need for my bricklink order : http://www.sendspace.com/file/l24n5n

This is what you need to turn your official LEGO First Order Special Forces TIE Fighter into mine. The whole TIE/Fo model is updated in the first post of the topic ;)

Ramses25

Ah, okay.

Ok !

I managed to export my LDD file to an LDraw one, export it on Brickstock and add the missing parts, and then turn it into a wanted list into my Bircklink profile !

Now I just have to order the parts from my wanted list !

Ramses25

Edited by Ramses25

Ok !

I managed to export my LDD file to an LDraw one, export it on Brickstock and add the missing parts, and then turn it into a wanted list into my Bircklink profile !

Now I just have to order the parts from my wanted list !

Ramses25

Okay, I assume it worked out smoothly?