Forresto

LEGO Star Wars Pricing Discussion Thread

Alright so what may have years ago seemed like an unnecessary idea for a thread has quickly become much needed. The 2016 rumor thread continually spills into discussions of TLG's increasing prices for SW sets and that's unfortunately going nowhere as people will bring said complaints up, legitimate or otherwise, in inappropriate threads. Therefore to divert such comments from other threads, for your pleasure dear EB reader, the Lego SW price discussion thread.

My one suggested rule which is already apart of EB's rules, so really it's not a suggestion but a reminder:

Please keep comments civil and do not go after each other. Everyone here has a right to voice their opinion about price inflation and as this is the internet we do not know each other's circumstances. The person replying may be living in a van down by the river in his or her tightie whities with only an internet connection and a device as a commodity. Also don't come to this thread to complain about people complaining, this a thread for discussion.

RCF2.png

Since this seems to be a point of recent contention why don't we kick the thread off with 75158: Rebel Combat Frigate $109.99 USD and equivalent international prices.

Reasonable or overpriced?

Edited by Forresto

>< 109.99 USD is a bit much for that set. But in Japan set 75148 Encounter on Jakku (ジャクーの戦い)is currently sitting at 82$ on Amazon Japan. I can only imagine how much they will charge for set 75158 when it is set to debut here. But I am sure whatever the price will be; that 109.99$ will seem like mana from heaven by comparison.

What makes all of this sting more is that USA prices are considered overpriced. If that is overpriced then I am getting robbed blind >< I am sure this sentiment is shared in other regions where Star Wars set prices balloon to levels beyond comprehension.

Yeah, $110 is way too much for 75158. The Imperial Shuttle Tydirium comes with a similar piece count and it only cost $90. The set May worth the $110 price tag if the ship is big enough and the minifigures is new or comes with new molds. Unfortunately this isn't the case here.

I hate saying that as I would love to have Ahsoka, but this set can't holde a candle for Tydirium. Now Tydyrium is sold for about 125 USD. I am willing to pay about 100 USD for it. The only reason I'd have for buying RCF is Ahsoka (I have or am disinterested in rest of minifigs) as I do not like the model much - it would become tempting under 70 USD.

Since this seems to be a point of recent contention why don't we kick the thread off with 75158: Rebel Combat Frigate $109.99 USD.

Reasonable or overpriced?

Just a reminder: only a small region of the world pay their Lego in US $... If you want to discuss prices, don't forget the prices in all other currencies.

To be honest as a UK buyer, I find the $ to £ pricing very poor but its always / usually the case and not just with Lego or Disney - and lets be honest the pricing of the recent SW sets does seem high compared to the sets in previous years but such is the pricing model Lego now has for this range.

If I really want a set then Ill buy it almost regardless of price, sets which are 'meh' or ok then typically I'll only pick up on a sale or discount, I don't use a price per brick ratio or such, it's just on gut feel....hence why some sets I still don't have 12/18 months after release if they don't move on price.

My view is so long as I enjoy it I'll live with the prices - which I guess Lego counts on but hey ho...

Can't discuss this yet, because the EU price is not known yet. But 109$/€ seems a bit steep, 99$/€ would be better. I'm just afraid it will end up 119€.

I will get it for Asoka and not the build itself, unless the inside is super detailed!

Edited by firefox

In Ireland some of the new sets are overpriced compared to other countries in Europe and that's a disgrace.

Eclipse Starfighter is 45 euro

Star Scavenger is 56 euro

Vader's TIE Advanced vs A-Wing Starfighter is 110 euro

Resistance X Wing Fighter is 95 euro

Encounter at Jakku is 70 euro

Captain Rex AT-TE is 130 euro

Clone Turbo Tank is 130 euro

Edited by fire117

What's the point? Is there an objective way to determine if a price is reasonable or overpriced for something which basically is a luxury? Price per piece ratio? I guess not, this would make a poor 'objective' judgement, because it doesn't take into account several imprortant factors like the build, what the model represents (which can determine popularity and/or emotional connection), minifig selection etc...

It basically comes down to if you, personally, are willing to pay that much for it or not, and if you are, if you feel like you've made a good bargain or not.

I will buy two of these, propably three, because I want at least two Ahsokas for my MOCs, and I see a lot of cool parts in the moel for the MOCs I typically built. Multiple Satos give me one minifig for that character and individual minifig parts and prints for custom characters. Great! I wouldn't feel like I'll make a bargain with the price of this set, but I'll be willing to pay the price, and it won't hurt me financially.

And last but not least, I maybe gift away one Ahsoka here on Eurobricks on the condition that it'll go to a MOCer who uses it in a fitting major MOC and post it here on Eurobricks, just to spite those vile scalpers and re-sellers a teeny-weeny bit.

Edited by DarthTwoShedsJackson

Just a reminder: only a small region of the world pay their Lego in US $... If you want to discuss prices, don't forget the prices in all other currencies.

Whoops right you are :blush:

Also... when looking at $ to £ or € ratio then please take into account sales tax in that area.

For us UK buyers the price you see is the price you pay but we don't take into account the sales tax that will be added onto the $ price when purchasing. I remember that surprise when arriving at a cashier in Canada.

I know that may not detract from the general pricing issue but It's just for 'Well if you think it's a lot for you then it's more for me' comments.

In Ireland some of the new sets are overpriced compared to other countries in Europe and that's a disgrace.

Ireland and the UK are seen as one region for most companies. I'm 99% sure I read this recently of Lego too so our prices are pretty much the UK prices converted from GBP to EUR what I can see.

Edited by Dublad

Regarding the first post, it probably won't be equivalently priced in other currencies. A 90 dollar set translates to a 110 euro set strangely. Can't speak for many other countries. This means the set will be 140 euros like the CTT and the AT-TE, which is terrible (though a better deal than the CTT as you get more pieces and IMO a better build.)

I would be fine if it were 90 dollars and thus (a terribly converted) 110 euros actually. The emotional connection that DarthTwoShedsJackson speaks of would have worked at that price, but not for more than that. It should've had at least one new mold then (for a new character like the Seventh Sister) or for Ahsoka's headpiece (though I'll reserve judgement about the reuse of Shaak Ti's piece when there are better pictures available).

Comparing Poes XWing to the latest resistance x wing is as clear a case to the bizarre pricing i have seen.

Pracrically identical sets but ones is £10 more expensive.

Edited by physichull

Comparing Poes XWing to the latest resistance x wing is as clear a case to the bizarre pricing i have seen.

Pracrically identical sets but ones is £10 more expensive.

This is the set pricing I am most angry about - there is no reason for it to be £10 more expensive at all. It's absurd. Especially since they're both being sold at the same time. Why would a parent buy this set for their child over Poe's personal X-wing?

The Starscavenger is a whooping 69,99€ here in Belgium, no that's not a typo!

That's double it's worth in my eyes

I don't get how the Rebel Frigate of all sets started this discussion - 110$ for a 900+ piece capital ship (that is also a store exclusive and has two exclusive minifigures) is better than average, definitely not worse than the pricing we've come to know over the last years.

Yeah, $110 is way too much for 75158. The Imperial Shuttle Tydirium comes with a similar piece count and it only cost $90. The set May worth the $110 price tag if the ship is big enough and the minifigures is new or comes with new molds. Unfortunately this isn't the case here.

The Tydirium is underpriced. It's that simple - any set looks bad compared to such an obvious outlier. Compare the Frigate to the prices of any other recent set and it looks pretty decent - A-Wing vs TIE, both Resistance X-Wings, the new AT-TE all fare worse price-wise.

Maybe people aren't that interested in the Frigate because it's a Rebels set, but objectively, it's fine.

I don't get how the Rebel Frigate of all sets started this discussion - 110$ for a 900+ piece capital ship (that is also a store exclusive and has two exclusive minifigures) is better than average, definitely not worse than the pricing we've come to know over the last years.

The value may be excellent but £110 is a lot of money to just drop on a set.

I usually try to find the Star Wars sets on a discount or sale, cause they seem to be a bit pricey with the Washington sales tax. And cause I usually build the set once, then use the parts, I'll look up the parts list and decide if it is worth the price for what it contains. Just my two cents.