Midlife-crisis

[BL - WIP] 10030 Imperial Star Destroyer

Hello,

while waiting for hoth i build the ISD last month. This is a really massive build considering the retail price of 299$ in 2002. Huge value for the money.

time to share some pictures.

Colour - light gray and dark gray, also invisible parts have the correct color based on peeron inventory.

Panel mounting - Magnets. There are some ridiculous part prices for the magnet mounts 30159, i should get the 3D printed substitutions in the next weeks. A Friend of mine is

currently drawing them, for the meanwhile i used other mounting parts.

ajqdan.jpgbbte80.jpgclfd5s.jpgdh3cxb.jpgerkebx.jpg

fz0fqk.jpggtoc63.jpg

part 2 is following

Edited by Midlife-crisis

hz1sip.jpgid6s1u.jpgjb4swy.jpgkc9se3.jpgmcbsxm.jpgn7jsg4.jpg

l1isbi.jpgohhsnc.jpgph9sbw.jpgqhssxd.jpg

as you can see on the pictures there are some parts missing and or in the wrong color but they are ordered. Leveler are missing, should get them soon, the "rock base" will be painted.

and there is a Plan A, B and C for the main engines.

I´d like to show Plan D for the engines, thanks to Raskolnikov´s awesome Imperial star destroyer MOC: http://www.eurobrick...howtopic=130922

I still want to change the 4x4 dishes to 6x6 dishes. But overall i´m very satisfied with the shape. Color is light bluish gray unfortunately.

Whats missing now are ~25light gray leveler and the 3D printed magnet holder.

cimg2532fjqgk.jpg

cimg2531byr2z.jpg

Nice progress. Plan D engines are way to big though. These fit Raskolnikov' Tyrant but that one is 1.5 times as big as this UCS in every direction. What are the plans B and C though? I only can see one engine pic within your previous post where it's just 6x6 dishes :look:

I believe that Took9 has replied you on bricking the engines, like what he has done with his 10030. That looks amazing!

I´m still waiting for some parts in old gray, don´t have that much in stock.

Totally agree with you all that they are too big, but the shape looks already better to me then with the giant wheels. The dishes in the first pics are 8x8.

I believe that Took9 has replied you on bricking the engines, like what he has done with his 10030. That looks amazing!

Can you direct me to his version please? I think I havent seen it.

Can you direct me to his version please? I think I havent seen it.

Hey Krisandkris12, check out Took9 flickr page here: https://www.flickr.c...57651169242134/

I am currently modding my 10030 rear engines to follow Took9's design but those LG elements are sooooo expensive, esp the LG wedges that make up the 3 engines!

All credit goes to Took9 for his amazing rendition of the 10030!

Edited by Azrielsc

^Thanks Azriel!

I like the brickbuilt thrusters much more than death star domes, although it is still on the bigger side. Most refference pics and blueprints to ISD suggest smaller thrusters. I think that TLG choice of big plastic wheels is pretty much ideal in terms of scaling - perhaps scaling down the brickbuilt version a litlle bit could work out?

this moc is really great!

I´m a bit limited on available brick versions due to the old gray concept.

Still waiting for some parts, but here is a picture of my Plan A, size is very similar to the giant wheel version, it contains also illegal connections which could be

fixed with some 3794, 4275 and 4276 plates. Hope you like it :)

Partcount so far 58pieces per engine.

ak9jr5.jpg

buujgb.jpg

c3vkyu.jpg

I like it. Maybe it should be more hollow inside - what do you think about using smaller dish (6x6) which is shifted more towards the 'inside' of the thruster?

Thank you for the hints. The LLD ISD by all in the reflexes is really cool.

krisandkris; yes this might work, i have ordered trans blue 6x6 radar dishes as i want to replace the 4x4 ones. I think i have some 6x6 dishes left, this might be worth a try.

I should get all the parts this week.

regards

This is coming along really nicely. I just looked up images for ISD engines from OT and sadly there really is't much screen reference :hmpf_bad:. Your solution works just fine i think and krisandkris's idea with the 6x6 dishes should make it even better :grin: . Nice progress and I'm excited for the final product! May have to do this one for myself someday...

By the way when you do decide on a structure that works and round off the mod, please make a cr-70 :tongue:

By the way when you do decide on a structure that works and round off the mod, please make a cr-70 :tongue:

the corvette is my next project :)

received a few parts today, 6x6 radar still missing, but never the less i completed all 3 engines and took a shot.

size comparison, the overall diameter is about 2 and a half stud smaller, it´s also a brick height lower.

as soon as the 6x6 radar arrives i might do some changes in size and shape.

dj7zph.jpg

e3qyuu.jpg

I like those brick-built engines as well. I didn't think the size of the death star domes was that bad on the 10030, though, it was more the smoothness of the domes and the gray-mixing that looked jarring to me. So what you gonna do with those domes? Each is a couple bucks, if I remember correctly.

Edited by Raskolnikov

Thank you, glad you like it!

For the domes, i think i will keep them for now, as the UCS Hoth Ion cannon is disappointing to me, i will most probably use them in the meanwhile in my hoth moc which is also WIP.

This is the actual version:

skipped the 6x6 dishes and went for 4x4 - the stream dish is near the beginning of the engines. Additionally i add a

6x6 radar dish for a "deeper" look.

c1j6ssb.jpg

c2mpsak.jpg

c3hmspu.jpg

c4r3sdc.jpg

Brick-built looks better, using a single big piece on a USC model looks out of place.

Edited by gotoAndLego

decided to remove the 2nd radar dish, also changed the mounting of the 4x4 dish from part: 4032 to 15535, the dishes are now at the

bottom of the engines.

enginefinishedvrokb.jpg