Sign in to follow this  
mmcclelland

MOC Modular Hospital (LDD)

Hi everyone

This is my first MOC on Eurobricks that isn't for a contest, hope you enjoy!

A few people have said that a Modular Hospital would be impossible, but I have had a go. I have tried to stay within the syle and restrictions of the official modular line whilst still keeping the essance of a hospital of this period (1950's/60's).

Any constructive feedback is welcome!

1567700-General_Hospital_E-thumbnail.jpg

On the outside, I have attempted to add texture with brickwork and the rod of Asclepius (the snake around the staff) and the date in a similar style to the TH and FB. Parked outside is a period appropriate ambulance.

1567700-General_Hospital_E-thumbnail.jpg

The ground (first) floor has an emergency triage to treat patients, a reception desk and a Doctor's office where a poor woman is getting a booster shot! Details on this floor include a gold statue of the hospital's founder and (not visible in this picture) yellow bins for medical waste. Like the TH, there is an elevator rather than stairs, I prefer stairs, but a lift is more realistic for a hospital and there is not room for both.

1567706-General_Hospital_2-thumbnail.jpg

The middle floor contains the pharamcy, laboratory and X-Ray room. X-Rays are a slight anachronisim, but I couldn't not include them!

1567709-General_Hospital_3-thumbnail.jpg

The top floor is the ward where two patients are recovering. The man has a leg in plaster and the little girl has had her tonsils out, so she has ice cream. Also on this floor is the operating theatre where the surgeon is preparing to operate on a man who appears to be wide awake! Unfortunately there are no sleeping faces!

I'm still fine tuning my creation, so I hope to post some updates soom. Sorry for the poor quality pictures, I'm still getting used to things around here!

If you like the General Hospital, it is on Lego Ideas.

post-104651-0-65675000-1409911945_thumb.jpg

post-104651-0-24816600-1409912286_thumb.jpg

post-104651-0-62798300-1409912524_thumb.jpg

post-104651-0-36825600-1409912692_thumb.jpg

Search 'lego modular building' on US ebay and sort by highest price first. You'll see a great hospital and a very nice shopping center building. The hospital is simply outstanding. It's hard not to pull the trigger and buy it now.

Very nice work so far...I like the internal layout and the frontage blends nicely into the existing modular sets. Couple of wee design points...

The signage could be a bit more obvious for a hospital...might be a uk perspective here but the 'crucifix' emblem (rod of Asclepius) looks a bit scary for a hospital :devil: ...maybe soften into your front design.

Also your rooftop needs fleshed out a bit, some Air-Con units and access to the roof would really detail that area out.

Great work...cant wait to see your next updates...

Interesting build for sure. I'd say probably don't have the rear of the building all the way to the edge of the baseplate. It seems officially they have some room back there. Granted, I think my Town Hall expansion was going to eat into that room. I assume if you had all of the lined up backwards, a minifigure could walk to all of the back entrances??? Although CC and MS don't have rear entrances, so I guess it doesn't really matter.

Otherwise I like the build. I like the idea of a hospital within this theme. I think it could look quite well. Maybe add in a heli-pad on the roof? I'd imagine they'd want one of those, although scaling may be difficult.

Interesting build for sure. I'd say probably don't have the rear of the building all the way to the edge of the baseplate. It seems officially they have some room back there. Granted, I think my Town Hall expansion was going to eat into that room. I assume if you had all of the lined up backwards, a minifigure could walk to all of the back entrances??? Although CC and MS don't have rear entrances, so I guess it doesn't really matter.

Otherwise I like the build. I like the idea of a hospital within this theme. I think it could look quite well. Maybe add in a heli-pad on the roof? I'd imagine they'd want one of those, although scaling may be difficult.

There is a back door and some space behind (it's most visible on the first picture) I considered a helipad, but it wouldn't fit with the time period.

Edited by mmcclelland

Nice job, I like the colors used. I am leaning towards dark colored windows too, after always using white.

Maybe expand on the cornice, to make a little more detail across the whole width would be great. Some detail on the roof I agree would be good, a hatch or skylights.

Nice job, I like the colors used. I am leaning towards dark colored windows too, after always using white.

Maybe expand on the cornice, to make a little more detail across the whole width would be great. Some detail on the roof I agree would be good, a hatch or skylights.

Thanks, I chose the colours very carefully, every modular seems to have a 'signature' colour (sand green on GG, dark orange for TH etc) so I chose the medium nougat because it stands out and looks like the old brick that Victorian era hospitals were made from, the light grey is concrete and the brown frames are wood.

Edited by mmcclelland

Very nice build and it does look like the pictures of hospitals that I have seen from the 1920s and 1930s in the Ohio Valley. Good detail on the inside with the entrance and the general ward looks nice as well. Great job!

post-104651-0-06453000-1411470812_thumb.jpg

Thanks to everyone for your kind feedback, I have done a substantial redesign because I was concerned that it was too much of a big square box. I have also added a SNOT sign to more clearly define it as a hospital and added air condioners and a skylight to the roof. I am also experimenting with rendering at the moment and will hopefully add some referred images of the interior soon!

I'm a fan. Definitely like much of the interior.

Do you intend to brick build it at some point? If so, I'd simply suggest tiling the upper floors as well. And perhaps a "private curtain" between the two beds on the third floor, as well as a "visitor chair" and end table for them (it appears you probably have plenty of space on that floor to incorporate that).

I would love to build it for real but unfortunately the main colour is extreemley rare, LDD calls it medium nougat (it's the colour they used for the pigs if that helps) and I don't think they make bricks in it at all. The sand green roof pieces I'm pretty sure don't exist either. The curtain idea is something I have considered, possibly using the method in the GE changing room but unfortunately it cannot be realised in LDD. The table and chairs are a good idea, I'm going to be revamping the interior soon!