Sign in to follow this  
Redimus

Megabloks, LDD and Bricklink.

I've bought and build a few Megabloks sets, and there are some really useful pieces that Lego does not yet do. Has anybody done custom piece files for LDD to represent any Megablock specific parts, and is there anybody on Bricklink who actually stocks Megabloks? The way I design my customs (LDD > physical prototype if needed > more LDD > Bricklink supplemented by own collection) makes it difficult to include the potentially very useful pieces, so it'd be brilliant if I could include them in this process.

Also, if this is the wrong forum, please move it, I had a quick look and couldn't find anywhere more appropriate.

Edited by Redimus

I am a Lego purist so I do not buy megablox and in my opinion they are not the best quality compared to lego so I do not know these useful pieces, sorry:)

Neither I know how to add pieces to LDD, nor I think it is actually possible, but how about taking Lego parts that represent these pieces, add them to a group and after you think the model looks the thing just delete them for the actual brick count?

I do not buy megablox and in my opinion they are not the best quality compared to lego

How do you know it if you don't buy them ? :wink:

Anyways, it's not possible to add your own parts to LDD, Redimus.

Also, this topic should rather belong to the LDD subforum, or the Community subforum (more likely, since the topic seems to be more focused on Megabloks pieces). :classic:

I am a Lego purist so I do not buy megablox and in my opinion they are not the best quality compared to lego so I do not know these useful pieces, sorry:)

How do you know it if you don't buy them ? :wink:

Moreover, why even respond to this topic at all, then?

As far as BrickLink goes, there's some hypocrisy there (that I'm actually OK with, although some are not), where stores can sell third party accessories (like BrickArms and BrickForge items) and customized items (like chromed bricks), but they absolutely cannot sell things like MegaBloks, Kre-o, BestLock, or any other LEGO competitor (I guess they don't consider the small custom items to be competitors).

I think you can make and add your own unofficial parts for LDraw or MLCAD. There are tutorials on how to do that.

You could make a custom brick palette in LDD. Have you check out the help indexes in the EB LDD forum?

Any way, this is more for the LDD than train forum.

I'm actually surprised that there is no atlernate Bricklink sites for other brands (or even filters, in BL itself). BL isn't sponsored by Lego, is it?

Using any non-Lego part doesn't fit the rules I impose to myself (if I were to break those rules, I'd 3D-design & print & totally forget about Lego, the results would be much better but that's just not the same game), but if some people want to mix parts, it's indeed no different from using Brickarms stuff, chromed bricks, cut parts or whatever. It's not Lego, yet it's already in BL.

Of course the LDD is another story, it's owned by Lego.. I'm sure its database isn't super-protected, though.

Moreover, why even respond to this topic at all, then?

As far as BrickLink goes, there's some hypocrisy there (that I'm actually OK with, although some are not), where stores can sell third party accessories (like BrickArms and BrickForge items) and customized items (like chromed bricks), but they absolutely cannot sell things like MegaBloks, Kre-o, BestLock, or any other LEGO competitor (I guess they don't consider the small custom items to be competitors).

i guess, but I stumbled uppn this topic and thought i would share my opinion

i guess, but I stumbled uppn this topic and thought i would share my opinion

"Share my opinion" doesn't automatically mean it's right to mention the Megablox quality when the original question was how to get the bricks as such into LDD. I can agree with you on your opinion about various clone brands, but this topic is not the place for us to discuss it.

Thanks for your understanding :classic:

"Share my opinion" doesn't automatically mean it's right to mention the Megablox quality when the original question was how to get the bricks as such into LDD. I can agree with you on your opinion about various clone brands, but this topic is not the place for us to discuss it.

Thanks for your understanding :classic:

ok I understand