Legostone

[ESL - FB1] Outfitting a ship in Quinnsville

A large shipyard like mine needs its resources split to be ready for all eventualities! So I decided to have part of my shipyard in Elysabethtown (coming at some point) and in Quinnsville (more coming at some point too). For today we are showing you around in the outfittery in Quinsville - we are installing the masts, installing the rigging, and, in the case of a Warship, installing many guns. Let's take a look at my new Heavy War Brig being outfitted!
28732473560_1d2f448f9d_c.jpg
Hey you guys! We need to wait with the last 4 guns for the forecastle and Quarterdeck! We need to get the gundeck filled first! (guy in the grey suit)
29018369815_25ab97ec9c_c.jpg
Why do we have to scrub the sidewalls again? You were the one being stupid, you ...! (guy with the beard and no hair)
ROW ROW ROW YOUR BOAT, ROWADY ROWADY YOUR BOAT (guy rowing the green boat)
YOU CAN'T SING, SHUT UP! (guy steering the boat)
PULL! PULL! (guy holding the rope to pull up the upper foremast)
28985952956_75839761d9_c.jpg
You are almost there, just a few meters more! (guy with the green pants on top of the mast)
Holding it! (guy holding onto the mast not helping)
Stop this! (guy with the beard)
28985954466_0c9324f13e_c.jpg
Are you allowed to build a ship here? (one of the Corrington Soldiers)
Yes, here, check the papers. (Jerome Monezterell)
28942733861_ede42ee5a8_c.jpg
Total area. I'm not sure if I should license this as a medium artisan and finish the brig or use the hull for another ship (tear this one down) and license this as a large artisan, as this build covers 64x48 studs, more than enough for it.
I'll add some pictures of the Heavy War Brig (that doesn't fit into any definition, as it has 10 24 pounder carronades (the classical cannons you can see), 6 9 pounders on the upper part as well as 4 9 pounder chase guns. I feel like it is to small for a 5HA, and 5LA wouldn't fit as this isn't exactly a fast ship, and a 4HA doesn't exist. Oh well...) once my upload works again.

A total of 56 minifigures are participating in this build:D

Edited by Legostone

Hmmm... I like it. I like it a lot. :thumbup::pir-wub:

Why don't more people build shipyards? I find them fascinating. The vessel looks great in incomplete/WIP form and all the activity on and around it looks very realistic. The water may be pretty basic but I don't care; overall the scene is fine. As for the size, I'm convinced it's hard to do this well with anything very small - these scenes just tend to grow big really quickly.

Good collection of minifigs, both the number and diversity. The latter can be tricky but you've done well with it. It's a very convincing outfitting process. But for some reason the second pic isn't showing; all the others are.

Excellent work. :classic:

The story on this build was well done. You placed the minifigures in their locations for a reason and it was great to get a narrative for them. I like the concept of a ship yard and you definitely pulled off the business that would be expected on such an endeavor. 56 minifigures is an awesome accomplishment when they are all doing something. I like the brick built row boats. One final comment: the Lego row boat turned around between the first and second picture and then again near the end. They need to quit rowing in circles! pirate_laugh_new.gif

Good one! Full of action and with a nice presentation. And according to me, there is never such thing as too many minifigs! pirate_tong.gif

Hmmm... I like it. I like it a lot. :thumbup::pir-wub:

Why don't more people build shipyards? I find them fascinating. The vessel looks great in incomplete/WIP form and all the activity on and around it looks very realistic. The water may be pretty basic but I don't care; overall the scene is fine. As for the size, I'm convinced it's hard to do this well with anything very small - these scenes just tend to grow big really quickly.

Good collection of minifigs, both the number and diversity. The latter can be tricky but you've done well with it. It's a very convincing outfitting process. But for some reason the second pic isn't showing; all the others are.

Excellent work. :classic:

Thanks! Don't worry about too few shipyards - I have a bunch more builds regarding those planned out:D I kept the water basic as the whole build (besides the ship) is rather basic overall, I spent more time posing all those figures than building the actual landscape and scaffolding:P Jep, these things get big pretty quickly - this ship is my third smallest ship currently (out of 8!), and it already overhangs the 64 studs with its bowsprit.
Well, these are most of my pirate related minifigs, I maybe have another 20 sitting on my remaining ships (as well as 5 or 6 captains for all of those). I fixed the second picture right after reading your comment!

Fine and busy build!
This makes an excellent WIP post :pir-laugh:

:thumbup:

Hey, this is no WIP! What I wanted to show here is done, the ship will get its own post once it is done (the reason this is only a medium property at 64x48 studs - 64x16 studs are covered by a ship and another 64x12 or so are just pure baseplates:P)

The story on this build was well done. You placed the minifigures in their locations for a reason and it was great to get a narrative for them. I like the concept of a ship yard and you definitely pulled off the business that would be expected on such an endeavor. 56 minifigures is an awesome accomplishment when they are all doing something. I like the brick built row boats. One final comment: the Lego row boat turned around between the first and second picture and then again near the end. They need to quit rowing in circles! :pir-laugh:

Thanks! I felt like the water half needed something more than just water (which is there to pronounce that this ship isn't sitting in a drydock), so I just added a bunch of boats. The boat turning around must be caused by me removing the Brig and the boats to turn the entire build to take a photo from another angle... I guess the gun they are transporting is badly balanced:P

Good one! Full of action and with a nice presentation. And according to me, there is never such thing as too many minifigs! :pir-tongue:

Thanks!
One can never have to many of them, but sadly I have to few - these are most of mine for this theme, I only have a few more. I think I counted my pirate figures a few weeks back and ended up with a total amount of somewhere along the lines of 80 figures, something I need to change soon...

And, so we don't have an empty post here, I have a pair of pictures of the brig itself - still in unfinished state though, you'll have to wait for a bit until it is finished.

28958610021_91b75974f2_c.jpg
A small overview. The railing on one side had to be removed to allow easier transport of goods on board. I may just replace that railing with something different... This also shows the action on board a bit better. Can anyone guess the roles of everyone? :D

28943019031_90acf49dd3_c.jpg
The second picture shows the main reason this brig hasn't been built in Elysabethtown - shipbuilders willing to try something different are more common in Corrington. After all, this is a brig with 4 chase longguns, 10 carronades on the lower deck and 6 guns on the upper works. Just another ship to defend some convoys (well, one to further scare the pirates once they have decided to retreat:P)

Edited by Legostone

Excellent shipyard! The minifig posing really brings the scene alive. Well done!

Very Nice build, tough the best part is defenitely the busy feeling You have created with All the minifigs and the lovely text :laugh: