pranas

Disney buys out Lucasfilm

To add more salt to the wound, we will never see the 20th Century Fox

again with future Star Wars.

So get ready to see this intro to set you up with the galaxy far, far away.

-Omi

This video make me laugh a lot :iamded_lol: :iamded_lol: , thanks 'Oky'

Either way, good old Vader seems to be pretty happy in his new home. :head_back:

(snip)

I love how they ride everything but Star Tours. :tongue:

Thanks for sharing Oky! :laugh:

-Omi

But we don't know what intro they'll use except for 'Long time ago in a galaxy far, far away'.......oh, now we know the real reason for Disney buying it.....the beginning sounds like a Disney tale ! :roflmao:

They brought LFL quite cheaply (If you can call $4bn cheap) It does contain Star Wars, Indy, ILM (digital effect guys) LucasArts, Skywalker Sound and LucasFilm animation.

They got a good deal, considering they brought Marvel for $7bn

But we don't know what intro they'll use except for 'Long time ago in a galaxy far, far away'.......oh, now we know the real reason for Disney buying it.....the beginning sounds like a Disney tale ! :roflmao:

Well it won't be Fox, that's for sure. :P

-Omi

Lets not get too stressed or negative everyone - give them a chance. Given the choice of no new films or giving someone a chance to run with the new material I would definately give the new films a chance. I for one cant wait to see what materializes!

Well it won't be Fox, that's for sure. :P

-Omi

But at least it will still say 'Lucasfilms' and start with 'Star Wars' with that iconic opening piece from John Williams....the most famous piece of film score ever ! :grin:

But at least it will still say 'Lucasfilms' and start with 'Star Wars' with that iconic opening piece from John Williams....the most famous piece of film score ever ! :grin:

But the Luasfilms intro went along with the trumpets from the Fox intro. They were made for each other.

-Omi

Edited by Omicron

Things Disney need to do to win my support (No real order):

Original Original Trilogy on Blu-ray.

New X-Wing/Tie-Fighter Game

Battlefront III

Jedi Knight 3 (A proper one, none of this kinnect motion control shite)

If you do do 7/8/9 Make it the Thrawn Trilogy

Put Tim Zahn in charge of the EU.

Ignore 90% of the current EU

Make a proper KotOR 3

Going to add Rouge Squadron TV show to this

Edit:

Muppet remakes of all the Star Wars movies. (They own the muppets)

Edited by simonjedi

Original Original Trilogy on Blu-ray. YES

New X-Wing/Tie-Fighter Game HEll YES

Battlefront III HEll YES

Jedi Knight 3 (A proper one, none of this kinnect motion control shite)HEll YES

If you do do 7/8/9 Make it the Thrawn TrilogyHEll YES HEll YES HEll YES

Put Tim Zahn in charge of the EU. YEs

Ignore 90% of the current EU HELL NO

Make a proper KotOR 3 YES

Rouge squadron tv show yes but with 5 year arc like B5 Hell Yeah

This can't be any worse than Episode 1 or the Clone Wars series. George Lucas did a horrendous job with the prequels, while Disney has had a track record of high quality films (Pixar, Marvel). There is no reason to think that Disney is not up to the task. Remember though, noone is expecting another original trilogy. As long as they don't throw out the EU, this has huge potential.

Original Original Trilogy on Blu-ray. YES

New X-Wing/Tie-Fighter Game HEll YES

Battlefront III HEll YES

Jedi Knight 3 (A proper one, none of this kinnect motion control shite)HEll YES

If you do do 7/8/9 Make it the Thrawn TrilogyHEll YES HEll YES HEll YES

Put Tim Zahn in charge of the EU. YEs

Ignore 90% of the current EU HELL NO

Make a proper KotOR 3 YES

Rouge squadron tv show yes but with 5 year arc like B5 Hell Yeah

This guy knows what's up.

I've been comparing the success of Star Wars vs the Marvel movies.. and even if they match the success of Ironman 1 and the Avengers it still pales in comparison with the legendary status of Star Wars IV, V and VI.

I'm talking about movie quality mainly. Ironman 2 wasn't nearly as well liked. Thor and Captain America are mostly deemed as "decent" movies. Nowhere near Star Wars.

Just FYI, the success of Iron Man man cannot be given to Disney, as Disney didn't own Marvel at the time. Iron Man was a success without Disney. Iron Man 2 was the first Marvel film under Disney. Actually scratch that, Avengers is the sole Marvel film thus far that was distributed by Disney. The other ones were through Paramount, which is not Disney at all.

-Omi

Edited by Omicron

-Omi

I'm mostly okay with the acquisition, but even I admit it'll feel weird without that fanfare. I guess it's just something I'll have to get used to.

They brought LFL quite cheaply (If you can call $4bn cheap) It does contain Star Wars, Indy, ILM (digital effect guys) LucasArts, Skywalker Sound and LucasFilm animation.

Even though Star Wars and Lucas Films were huge they didn't release movies often. They didn't make as much money as Marvel or have as many potential franchises. THey're really JUST Star Wars and again, they didn't exactly release those movies commonly. So that's why Marvel sold for more.

Hold on a minute. Everybody is entitled to their opinion of what their favorite part of Star Wars is. I was 8-years old when I watched RotJ. I grew up obsessed about the OT. Although the OT has a special place in my heart, it is not my favorite part of Star Wars. I find your opinion that it's "universal fact" that the OT is the "best there was, the best there is, and the best that there will always be" very disturbing. Don't speak for everyone on these boards or every fan of Star Wars. At least not for me or my family. There is a generation that grew up on the OT, there's a different generation that grew up on the PT and there's another generation that is growing up today on TCW. I love all Star Wars. Despite what we enjoy and like about Star Wars, there are flaws and despite these flaws there is a lot to love and enjoy about Star Wars.

I'm not going to search to see if there's already a poll but maybe we can have one. I'm sure not "all SW fans" will agree on the so called "supremacy of the Original Trilogy".

I fully agree with your sentiments there Sir. I certainly enjoy all Star Wars films and at the same time OT is definitely not my favourite (Episode 3 is, there, I've said it *oh2*:grin: ).

One thing I have to point out about the sequels: they'll have to tie in pretty closely with the conclusion of Episode 6 if people are intended to understand the connection between them and the rest of the series. Not everybody has the patience to read all the Expanded Universe novels, so anything far after RotJ is probably out-of-the-question unless it's loaded down with flashbacks explaining what happened in the intervening time. And I don't think that's at all what people want in a new Star Wars film, since the series has mostly done quite well without lengthy flashbacks.

Certainly there's a lot of stuff in the EU that can be more or less ignored if it's set a few decades after RotJ, much like the Clone Wars animated series has been able to create a bunch of story to fill in the gap between AotC and RotS. But for the most part, the audience has to be able to connect the new films to what they already know in more ways than just the continued existence of blaster pistols and lightsabers.

They don't have to. They could be a standalone trilogy. It would be self sustaining enough to attract new audiences and the old timers (having sen and read a lot) will certainly be able to keep up with the story evolution. You never know, it may actually encourage a lot of people to start buying EU books and read them.

I am proud to say that I own the entire EU SW novels and I have certainly enjoyed reading them. There are no more than 5 of them which I couldn't care less about but the rest of them are damn fine examples of writing. It's a good job that only a minority of people are ready to throw away quite a bit of the EU stuff.

I think there is more to it then that. It's 4 billion, plus Lucas walks away with somewhere around 2 1/2 % ownership of Disney itself. Which is not trivial. The fact that Lucas was essentially a private soul proprietor allowed them more flexibility to do that sort of deal. But even Disney agree's they got it cheap. GL wanted to retire and wanted someplace safe to preserve his work and legacy.

That seems unbeleiveble. You see Lucas in the picture? He looks like 'my parents just died' kind of look. Well, then again, I don't think Lucasfilm is worth $4,000,000,000. It's worth 10 times that. Any way, Star Wars ended. And I mean ENDED in EPVI, but there was always the expanded universe. I've been watching Disney stuff my whole life. They have a show on Disney channel called 'ANT farm' and another called 'Jessie'. They're like that guy at the fortune cookie factory who never has a single word the same in his fortunes. That's how creative they are.

Battlefront III

Don't make me cry. I've wanted that game for so long. :sad:

-Omi

Fox will continue to distribute the films for the time being.

<edit>

From Aintitcoolnews

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/59381

Fox retains ownership and distribution of all existing Star Wars movies (until that contract expires... UPDATE 4:: Episode 4 is owned "in perpituity" and all other existing movies are owned through 2020).

Fox will continue to distribute the films for the time being.

Why would Disney need to distribute future films under Fox when they can do it themselves and without paying another studio to do it?

-Omi