GallardoLU

[MOC] 1966 Ford GT40 MKI

I made Mention in my last MOC thread about building a car from "yesteryear" well after looking over many great cars from the 60s and 70s i settled on the Iconic Ford GT40, in particular the 1966 MKI.

*History Lesson*

As Many racing fans know the Ford GT40 holds quite an amazing chapter in Le Mans history. starting in 1966 the GT40 had come out of its development years and was primed to dominate the endurance racing scene. the MKII would win 24 hours of Daytona along with 2nd and 3rd. Sebring was another 1, 2, 3 finish for the Ford cars with the X-1 Roadster taking the over all. at Le Mans of 1966 the GT40 was running 1, and 2 late in the race and in an attempt to keep both Drivers happy with the result Ford tried to arrange a tie. Driver Ken Miles was however not satisfied with a tie, and in protest to Ford slowed his car in the final straight still taking second but removing what could have been an amazing side by side finish. 1967 was equally as successful with the MKVI taking Le Mans. in 1968 a rule change was applied that limited engine size and eliminated the MKII, MKIII and MKIV, leaving the older MKI cars still eligible. this change in rules left the MKI in great position for the season and lead to a Championship for Makes victory for Ford. the following year would be the end of the GT40s reign being almost 6 years older than its competitors. in a very close battle with Porsche's 908 the Ford GT would win but by mere seconds unlike previous years. the most remarkable detail of the 68, and 69 victories is that it was achieved by the exact same car - the legendary GT40P/1075. this to date is the only Car to win the 24hours of Le Mans twice.

*end of history lesson*

I've spent quite a lot of time on this one, more than my previous cars combined. with the history of the car, and my long standing appreciation of the car i had to get it right. My model is 16studs long and only 3 bricks 2 plates tall. so, without further ado here is my LEGO 1966 Ford GT40 MKI (road car).

*Update: revised headlights to better match those found on the actual car*

16788380751_a442e23daa_z.jpgFord GT40 headlights 2.0

16615974251_8cf097ca25_z.jpg

16430088940_2e809390a4_z.jpg

16409832637_e305e02443_z.jpg

as always, I hope you enjoyed my build, there are more pictures of the car in my Flickr, for those that want to see more. Comments and critiques welcomed!

Edited by GallardoLU

Not bad design at there 'GallardoLU'.......not easy to get as many of the right curves and angles but you have done the best with what Lego has to offer.......Brick On 'GallardoLU' ! :grin:

Nice shaping, I like the colour too, all it needs now is a racing stripe down the middle. I wouldn't mind having one of these to give the police a run for their money. Keep the classics coming GallardoLU

There's a woman over at Jalopnik (Kinja handle: $kaycog) who is a big fan of the Ford GT40 and Ford GT, melted when she saw the new one, and would highly appreciate this City-sized recreation of the Mk 1.

And so am I!

Nice shaping, I like the colour too, all it needs now is a racing stripe down the middle. I wouldn't mind having one of these to give the police a run for their money. Keep the classics coming GallardoLU

Thanks, I originally built it with stripes (which ended up looking like 1 very wide stripe) but after going back to my reference car (the ’66 Ford showed at Detroit auto show) I found no stripe on that car and decided mine should be the same.

There's a woman over at Jalopnik (Kinja handle: $kaycog) who is a big fan of the Ford GT40 and Ford GT, melted when she saw the new one, and would highly appreciate this City-sized recreation of the Mk 1.

And so am I!

Feel free to share this with her, I’m not on Jelopnik myself. And thanks for the compliments.

Does seem to miss a strip, but I agree with your move for authenticity and leaving it as is. I love how you have achieved a sleek and refined body shape with your build techniques. Great job!

That's a really cool 6 wide Ford GT! The backside is great, but I'm not really sure about the front... Because of the headlights I guess. Besides that it's a really nice work.

That's a really cool 6 wide Ford GT! The backside is great, but I'm not really sure about the front... Because of the headlights I guess. Besides that it's a really nice work.

the head lights are incorrect, I agree, and I've been trying different things to get them corrected will post an update once I find a satisfactory solution (or more accurately *If* I find a solution)

and to all of the other commenters, Thanks you all!

Oh I can't believe I missed this----very nice. i can tell by the shaped and curves that it's definitely a GT.

That´s a really lovely version of a very iconic car!

This is very interesting, because I was also thinking about doing this very car i 6-wide too! -Now your can serve as inspiration!

I think you did an excellent job. Maybe it will be impossible to improve on it...

That´s a really lovely version of a very iconic car!

This is very interesting, because I was also thinking about doing this very car i 6-wide too! -Now your can serve as inspiration!

I think you did an excellent job. Maybe it will be impossible to improve on it...

Thanks, I've played around the lines on it a couple times since posting this, and i keep coming back the the what you see already. the only change that has been made to the car is new headlights as mentioned above. I found a simple little trick that allows a for more accurate headlight shape. good luck on your version as well!

16788380751_a442e23daa_z.jpgFord GT40 headlights 2.0

Edited by GallardoLU