Moomin

The Parrot - 14 Gun Brig of War

pirates-indexed.gif 165A

Hello all,

Finally got around to putting some sails on the parrot, so now it is pretty much complete - has had a few modifications, notably I have scaled down the broadside to 7 guns - thanks to Mr Townsend for the recommendation here - did decide it neatened the look up a bit . Thanks also to Sebeus I and all others who have commented/offered advice on this, and to all the other shipbuilders who have given me much inspiration.

I may try to take some better photos, and even make some more modifications, but for now, this is the completed brig.

Thanks

p1010350.jpg

p1010343.jpg

p1010338.jpg

p1010328.jpg

p1010331.jpg

p1010333.jpg

p1010334.jpg

p1010335.jpg

p1010337.jpg

p1010330.jpg

Very nice square rigged brig. It reminds me of the USS Niagra. It's also a nice color scheme. The ratlines are a little bit messy and the bowsprit is longish. The cabin looks nice aswell. She is going to be a great brig.

-CAM

Edited by Captain Cam

Thanks for the comments - glad you like it! Whilst it is now complete, of course I may make a few alterations, and neaten things up a bit - any suggestions still welcome! My aim was to build a reasonably simple square rigged vessel on prefabs - this is not intended to be as historically accurate or as detailed as some of the great builds on here, but for me I felt a prefab brig is a good place to start as a first project;-).

I just realised no crew at all in any pics! A bit Mary Celeste!;-).

Sounds a bit funny, but one of my favourite things is that she has front facing chaser ports - was eager to include these, though did take time getting it to work! Think the cannons should be 9-pounders - considerably smaller than the regular Lego cannon. Too small and lightly built for any big fights, so think she will be used for delivering dispatches and the odd dignitary;-).

Thanks again for all the support on here!

What a fine little vessel. I particularly like the fact that you chose to use custom cannons, and that's a clever design for the stern lantern. My favorite picture by far is the shot from her bow showing all her sails. She really looks like a fine brig in that shot.

My only complaint is that she does not appear to have a crewpirate_classic.gif. Oh well, all in good time I suppose.

Everything is spectacular. I just rather small hulls for brigs.. but this is absolutely IMHO. Excellent work!

That is fantastic, great work!

Thanks!

Very nice square rigged brig. It reminds me of the USS Niagra. It's also a nice color scheme. The ratlines are a little bit messy and the bowsprit is longish. The cabin looks nice aswell. She is going to be a great brig.

-CAM

Thanks Captain Cam - did view the Niagra on an image search, and whilst a larger brig than mine, did definitely provide some inspiration. I will be making a few alterations, including tidying up the ratlines a bit - I agree that they do look a little messy at the mo. Is interesting: do think The Parrot has a more American than European look to her, based on what little research I have done, but I'm no expert!

This is very good.

Great job on custom rigging and sails.

I really should try one of these brigs one day ...

Excellent! pirate_classic.gif

Really hope so, Capt Braunsfeld! Would love to see it, for sure - have enjoyed looking over your builds :-)

Congratulations on a very fine vessel. Great work!

Regards,

KB

Thanks! Really nice to get comments from such great builders :-)

What a fine little vessel. I particularly like the fact that you chose to use custom cannons, and that's a clever design for the stern lantern. My favorite picture by far is the shot from her bow showing all her sails. She really looks like a fine brig in that shot.

My only complaint is that she does not appear to have a crewpirate_classic.gif. Oh well, all in good time I suppose.

Thanks! Loving the way your brig is coming along, Captain Genaro - is going to be a lot more technically accurate than The Parrot, for sure - wanted the custom cannons as this is a pretty small vessel, and agree with you (as noted in your thread) that whilst carronades are probably more historically apt for vessels this size, cannons not by any means unheard of, and, well, just kinda prefer them;-). Only realised she was having many sails up with no crew after the rater rushed photo shoot, so will have to sort that out, along with a bit of a tidy up and some better quality pics.

Overall, fairly happy with the build; was aiming for a slightly more historically accurate vessel than the official ones, without becoming too technical - amazing to see the vessels that have really focussed on technical features though - I'm really impressed with these.

Anyway, will most likely do some tweaking over the next weeks, then post some more pics;-).

Thanks again for all the support/comments here.

M.

Edited by Moomin

This is amazing, but where is the crew and isn't the "steering wheel" supposed to above the captain's quarters?

This is amazing, but where is the crew and isn't the "steering wheel" supposed to above the captain's quarters?

Thanks Behemoth. Yes! needs crew, and have a few officers, marines and sailors - I simply forgot to add them in any shots! will rectify that later;-). Re the helm: I think you are right for vessels with a proper quarterdeck - the helm would be there, but the stern superstructure is not a quarterdeck with the parrot: just a covered area a bit like seen on (few) smallish brigs (google HMS Badger - Nelson's first command, for example). I think more commonly on a brig of the Parrot's size, there would be no stern cabin - just an entirely open deck, with the helm positioned on that deck.

I added the rear cabin more for fun than historical accuracy, though as noted above, they were not unheard of. I believe that more often than not, on smaller brigs at least, the Captain - who would probably be only the rank of commander in the British Navy, but still referred to as 'Captain' when in control of the brig - would most likely be housed below decks! On the Parrot, he is lucky!;-). Sorry for the essay!;-).

Great work, I think this hull size is ideal for brigs.

The shrouds are my least favourite part though but I know quite well how difficult this can be sometimes pirate_laugh2.gif .

I see this ship as the perfect polivalent ship for entrepreneurs, fast enough to evade any larger battleships while still able to take on enemy schooners.

Excellent work Moomin! She turned out great with the cloth sails and custom rigging. I like how much space you were able to get in the captain's cabin. It allowed you to incorporate some great furniture and accessories. Next time for the ratlines I think you should use a thinner string though it works well everywhere else. Brick on Moomin!