Noworries

Actual Size of Lego Rails

traintech1.jpg

Hello everybody.

As the 2010 trainsets will be my first lego trains since 1990 (when i was 5 years old :P) i need a few facts and numbers for planing the table for my "layout".

Could you please tell me:

1. Are the rails in 2010 trainsets the same as the last ones?

2. What size meassures a straight rail? Long by wide?

3. Whats the OUTER diameter of a curved rail half circle? Is the circle with flexible rails less large?

I hope there is no such topic already, i havent found any.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Greetings

Noworries

Thanks a lot Matt Dawson.

Maybe someone knows the answer to 3.

I just recognized that i missed the titel, should be: Actuall size of lego rails - Could a moderator please change it?

Edited by Noworries

The outer diameter of standard curves, the width required to fit the track in a semi-circle with either PF, 9V or 12V track, is 48 studs, with the diameter of track centres being 40 studs.

Flexi-track will do a little less than this diameter at a push. Someone fitted a circle inside the standard circle. This might strain the track and/or be too tight for all but the shortest fixed wheelbase wagons though. I notice the wheelbase of the new tanker wagon is quite long.

If you want to make wider curves that line up well with baseplate studs at both ends of a quarter curve, and don't want to use flexi-track, put 1 or 2 straights between each curved rail (3 straights for a quarter circle). This will add 32 studs to the length and width of each quarter circle (32.219 but the track flexes enough for it to fit OK). I added 2 straights between the curves on my 9V layout, with 1 straight between most curves in the yards.

The gauge of the rails (the distance between inner edges for PF or 9V track) is about 37.8mm. For standard gauge track of 4'8.5" (1435.1mm) that's a scale of 1:37.97. Flexi-track varies a bit because of the need to flex, which can cause friction as a wheelset passes through the narrowest part.

Mark

WOW! A really precise answer, thanks a lot. Now I have to do some measuring, buy the tables and ... narf ... wait till trainsets get released in germany (or buy them via amazon.fr :()...

Thanks for the help!

The outer diameter of standard curves, the width required to fit the track in a semi-circle with either PF, 9V or 12V track, is 48 studs, with the diameter of track centres being 40 studs.

Hi, I guess you confused Radius with Diameter. the inner diameter of a standard 9V circle is 72 studs. The outder diameter is 88 studs. Thus the Radius at the track center is 40 studs.

fW

WHAT?

I hope the current tracks have a smaller diameter than the 9V era?

This would leave me with 0,75cm to each side on a 150x75 table (of wich i plan to use 3, 2 in a quater and one attached to them for some more space for rails)

Ugh :sceptic:

This would leave me with 0,75cm to each side on a 150x75 table (of wich i plan to use 3, 2 in a quater and one attached to them for some more space for rails)

I think this post has been confused by THREE different units of measurement, Studs, Inches and Centimetres.

For those that have never done the measuring themselves here is the handy breakdown

A 4x2 brick is 4 studs on the long side. It's 1.25" or 3.2cm

So a baseplate is 32 studs long, or 10" or 25.6cm

A baseplate fits two straight pieces of track (but everyone knows that already)

A whole circle of track fits onto a 3x3 square of baseplates. 96x96 studs, 30"x30"(2'6"x2'6") 76.8cm x 76.8cm

With the centre of the circle and the baseplates lined up, between the track and the edge of

the plates there's 1.25" or 3.2 cm or, yes, 4 studs left over.

Which is handy, because it's good to have some space beside the tracks.

As has been said before. The plastic tracks and the 9v tracks are identical except for the metal on top. The geometry is unchanged.

Hope this has helped.

Hi, I guess you confused Radius with Diameter. the inner diameter of a standard 9V circle is 72 studs. The outder diameter is 88 studs. Thus the Radius at the track center is 40 studs.

fW

Yes, that sounds correct. One (straight, but I guess also the center of a curved) rail piece is 16 studs. A full circle consists of 16 pieces, i.e. 256 studs. Thus the diameter of the center would be about 256/pi =81.5 studs.

Hi there!

If you give me the exact dimensions of the floor space or table surfaces you will be using (size of each individual table), I can make the necessary "table" GIFs for you so you can plan your layout precisely using the BlueBrick layout software. I will actually be spending a few hours on a train this morning so if I will have time to do that if you can get the dimensions to me as soon as possible.

Thanks!

EDIT (many hours later): I might have time during the week as well.

Edited by missouri_bb63

Sorry for the late reply, i havent switched on e-mail notification and just missed it.

Basicly i would like to set my train layout on 4 tabels.

tablesf.jpg

If you find some time i would be very thankfully!

Not a problem! This link should provide the table GIF that you need. Let me know if it works out properly in the real world. I am looking forward to seeing both your virtual and actual, finished layout. Die Hilfedatei und Video Tutorials für BlueBrick gibt es übrigens auch auf Deutsch. :classic: Ich wünsche dir noch viel Spaß!

Edited by missouri_bb63

Thanks a lot! I'll have to wait till 2010 train sets get released in germany. I'll buy the tables this week (if everything fits) and keep everybody updated ;-)

Sorry for the late reply, i havent switched on e-mail notification and just missed it.

Basicly i would like to set my train layout on 4 tabels.

tablesf.jpg

If you find some time i would be very thankfully!

It may be easier to work in "baseplates" as your measurement.

your tables are very close to 3 baseplates by 6 (which would be 76.8 cm x 153.2 cm)

If you have an extra 3.2cm of depth (a four stud brick!) and an extra 8.2cm length (10 studs!)

you can fit 72 baseplates of track and scenery on your tables.

The next question is how much track and trains do you want and how much buildings and roads?

Thanks a lot! I'll have to wait till 2010 train sets get released in germany. I'll buy the tables this week (if everything fits) and keep everybody updated ;-)

Not a problem. You can post screenshots of your virtual layout in this thread. If you would like to post pictures of your actual, real life layout you could put them in the current thread.

The point made by chromeknight is a good one. I also noticed, that the tables are slightly smaller than ideal size and I forgot to mention that. As the overhang is minimal it should't be too critical as long as you have large baseplates around the edges(or nothing of course), but otherwise it might be a good idea to find slightly larger tables, or have table tops cut to size out of cheap wood, and get some simple legs to hold them up. Stores like OBI, Praktiker and Hornbach provide everything you need. That is what I did for my old layout. I think I used 1.5 cm thick MDF but you might be able to use thinner wood than that for your layout.

Edited by missouri_bb63

fW

Oh yes! I usually work in radii because it is so rare for me to have a half circle together! :classic:

80 stud centres for the diameter, 88 studs outer width, plus any carriage overhang.

That's 704mm wide.

With a 750mm-wide table there's enough room for a diameter but no room for buildings outside the track except at the corners.

Mark

Hi there,

thanks for your postings everyone.

I'm affraid i can not fit other tables in my lego / computer room because i have very limited space here.

Room measures 3,75m by (effective) 2,6m (i have a small alcove, 200x40cm wich is now filled with a rack i dont want to throw out YET)...

I used a room planning software to try to fit everything well and i ended up with just 3 tables, giving me a size of 2,25x1,5 meters for my layout :(

Currently trying to convince my girlfriend to let me use the living room for some of the "display models" such as the imperial flagship and some of larger technic models... almost succesfull!

THEN i may fit another 1,5m by 75cm table next to the others, very tight at last...

We'll see, i'll keep you updated and will post pictures.

WHAT?

That table will fit a loop with 16 curve pieces and 10 straight (5 on each side) pieces of track. The straight pieces

will be close the the edge, but that's OK. In the length, you'll have a bit more space left. If you want to use the table

to the max, you can have 5 + 3/4 straight pieces on each side (the flex track has 1/4 length each).

One straight track is 16 studs, which is 12.8 cm.

Mark

If you want to use the table

to the max

tables ... 3 of them. Just brought em at Ikea and will raise them this afternoon or maybe tomorrow. *sohappy*

And psst *whispers* ... just fixed a shelve to the wall in the living room wich will give me some air in the lego room :D Maybe i'll get my girlfriend to let me bolt another one to the larger wall? Wish me well!

So, here they are, proud and noble:

imag0007w.jpg

Not as much space as I hoped to have but at least enough for a solid layout. Now i have to rebuild around 40 models i disassambled to save some space and then there is the need to buy the trainsets.

Hope you like it.

Measured, a straight track is exactly 12.75 cm in length, and so is a curved track in the very middle.
The diameter of the outer circle, as lying down on my floor - that is, neither tensed nor expanded -, is 70.5 cm.