kabel

Arandela Negra

So far the Mitgardians ship of choice was the cog. However, due to their presence in Mpya Stedor Mitgardian merchants became aquainted with the latest Kaliphlin maritime development, the caravell. After fooling around a little, the Mitgardian shipwrights were finally able to create a Caravell of their own, the "Arandela Negra":

dscn1092.jpg

officially it serves as a trader transporting goods that decay rather quickly. Her speed thus allows her to transport whine to the North and mead to the South:

dscn1094.jpg

However, as most Mitgardian sailor are members of the Wolf Pack, it also serves as a spy ship that collects and transfers all the information the Jarl would like to aquire as fast as nobody else could do it:

dscn1093.jpg

the little smuggling activities by the captain are therefore usually neglected by Mitgardian authorities, as it is the Wolf Pack after all!

Nice looking ship! The sails work well :thumbup:

Always good to see more builds for Mitgardia :sweet:

Thanks Soccerkid, its good that at least one person commented. Maybe I should retake the pictures and/or move this to the pirate forum.

I wouldn't worry too much about comments... If you are satisfied with your creation then that is what matters. In my opinion your caravell fits its intended purpose perfectly. I think that comments here are a lot like in the real world. If a bunch of people are walking in the dock district, they probably won't comment on any of the many cargo ships in port but when they see that majestic ship of the line anchored across the bay, that is what is going to draw the comments.

And not many people have been commenting here in general over the last few days. SoT's creation only has 4 replies, normally there would be a lot more.

As Mikel said if you are satisfied that is what matters, and making Mitgardia points :laugh:

Really nice cog!!!

You see definately that it is based on the Kaliphlin shipart :thumbup:

How did you made the sails?

OOC: I gonna keep this one and your other one in mind when building my own cog :classic:

thanks guys, for the kind word, well I guess I have to be more patient. But I guess you know this feeling, your ready putting your moc together and taking the pics, and then there is this hole, you fall in ... until the next wip of course :laugh:

the ship itself is based on a 1450sh Portugese caravell design, something like this:

Boa_Esperanca2.jpg

not very fantasy like and rather simple, I know, but I was trying to be close to the real thing. So my question was, where to put Spain/Portugal in our Historica world, and thought that it would have to be Kaliphlin. However, as its a Mitgardian caravell, I made the first mast have a sqare not a lateen sail.

@DM: I took your average German cloth shopping bag, cut it and dyed it in coffee. I don't know whether you have these kinda bags in Belgium. But an old t-shirt should do too!

thanks guys, for the kind word, well I guess I have to be more patient. But I guess you know this feeling, your ready putting your moc together and taking the pics, and then there is this hole, you fall in ... until the next wip of course :laugh:

the ship itself is based on a 1450sh Portugese caravell design, something like this:

Boa_Esperanca2.jpg

not very fantasy like and rather simple, I know, but I was trying to be close to the real thing. So my question was, where to put Spain/Portugal in our Historica world, and thought that it would have to be Kaliphlin. However, as its a Mitgardian caravell, I made the first mast have a sqare not a lateen sail.

@DM: I took your average German cloth shopping bag, cut it and dyed it in coffee. I don't know whether you have these kinda bags in Belgium. But an old t-shirt should do too!

Haha genius! :laugh:

I got the feeling our MOC's have less and less views and replies lately... What is kind of strange because lately, the amount of active members has inclined...

edit: you have to see page 2 for example, most MOC's have only 350 views and 3 replies...

Edited by DaMaximus

Actually there are plenty of good ship building tutorials in the pirate forum, so this was not my invention. Except for the bag though. As for the other thing, well I guess it's spring, more time in the beer garden instead of hanging infront of your computer ...

This is a great little ship, and really looks like a caravel! The sails and rigging are custom I suppose. Did you dye the sails? They look great. I've got to get around to building a ship someday. Finally bought a few hull pieces off of BrickLink.

I like the handmade sails - their weathered look makes the ship feel like it has been used for many years. They are a very nice touch. And the ship looks rather like what it was designed after, so I say you did a great job!

Thanks Soccerkid, its good that at least one person commented. Maybe I should retake the pictures and/or move this to the pirate forum.

No! Nothing wrong the pirate forum, but it belongs here in Mitgardia! :wink:

I really like it, I think the combination of black and brown looks very nice. Also great idea to use wolfpack torso's! :thumbup:

This is nice! I specially like the tilled deck with the shutters default_thumbup.gif

I'm actually Portuguese so I'm quite inside the history of our sailors, specially the first ones. As you might know, if you are going for a 1450s caravel then it surely was one of the pioneers in terms of ocean-going voyages, as it al started with the take of Ceuta in 1415. What I mean here is that the first caravels would be latin caravels, thus latin rigged, while your front mast is square rigged default_blink.gif Just a small matter in terms of historical accuracy, but the square-rigging came in a slightly later period in history (from around 1515, approx.) with the naus, a.k.a. carracks in the English term.

Anyway neat build!

I need to build my warrior a boat... Especially living near the royal port he might have to start building his own shipping business

I like the colors and the sails, is nice to see more ships on Historica. :thumbup:

I must ask why you called it "Arandela Negra"?

thanks for all the positive feedback guys. With all the Historica action going on, there is hardly any time for me to work on piraty stuff. Thus I started focusing on late medieval ships.

@dg: thanks man, alays apriciate your feedback a bunch!

@direlda: I guess the ship could use one more mid section, other than that, I tried to stay close to the original

@nm: coffee man, its your plain old coffee stain, and it's great you finally got yourself some hull pieces :thumbup:

@eccles: you may have notice the wolfpack in several of my Mitgardian mocs before. The serve the role of good, but never fully to be trusted Mitgardian citizens, working as sailors, spies smugglers etc.

@fbw: I'm glad you liked my homage to your homecountry, which I actually love dearly!! As for the front mast, it's a Mitgardian caravel after all!! :wink:

@natesroom: go ahead, it's always good to see more ships around here

@niku: As I only had a Spanish dictionary I used a Spanish word, hoping for it to be similar to the Portugese version, as is the case with so many words. In English it means black swallow, named after one of the most beautiful birds flying to inhabit the planet. They are fast, they are black and they travel back and forth between the North and the South. So I decided that it would make a good name for a fast ship!

In English it means black swallow, named after one of the most beautiful birds flying to inhabit the planet. They are fast, they are black and they travel back and forth between the North and the South. So I decided that it would make a good name for a fast ship!

That is a great name for the boat!! Always nice to hear some thinking behind the names or mocs!!

Always nice to hear some thinking behind the names or mocs!!

well, that's the heavy burden that comes along when working in the field of education. Even when I build LEGO, I can't shut of that damn brain ... :wink:

Nice boat, I like the sails! I've got to start using other materials and strings and such. I do like the style as well. I like builds based off existing ships/buildings, etc.

In terms of responses, I personally had been busting my rear to get my Brickworld build done, so I hadn't been checking out any new individual posts. There always seems to be a slow down after the Challenge deadlines.