eurotrash

MOC: Architectural Salvage Co.

Architectural Salvage Company

I had been looking at the Town Hall and decided to rework it into something more useful and appropriate for my town. So I imagined that it been demolished mysteriously overnight and the former Mayor had launched an Architectural Salvage Company that was old selling bits and pieces from the old building.

15262022892_02895e7c17_c.jpg

I only used parts from the original set (with the exception of a handful of 2 x 2 Dark Grey Tiles and the Roof elements) and although the Town Hall was a parts rich set it's quite limited for pieces to do an interesting facade. There's not enough jumper plates to inset the windows so I ended up using the 1 x 6 rail plates as window footings.

And there were insufficient 2 x 3 Windows to complete the facade so I built a window mounted AC unit to hide the missing piece. I changed the SNOT Date to read 1931 which I thought was more appropriate to this design.

15239366236_277e17894e_c.jpg

Here's a shot of the rear

15075667019_79642e16a7_c.jpg

Inside the former Mayor is being interviewed by the local press and is being asked why so much of the original facade and interior detailing of the Town Hall is now being sold for salvage. He claims he has receipts for everything.

15259286481_6f507c7805_c.jpg

15075604079_592dd3043a_c.jpg

Upstairs we have a fine collection of windows and doors

15262352905_d09108031d_c.jpg

Despite the large size and the high piece count of the original Town Hall it was actually quite difficult coming up with an interesting alternate design. Thanks for reading.

Comments, criticism and ridicule most welcome!

It really does look like it was made from the Town Hall's parts, most specifically the bell tower being the same. It still looks very nice though!

Very nice, its always nice to see clever alternative builds. The AC in the window was a really nice detail. (Oh and cool story to)

Great concept, I really like the front of the building. You have managed to do a lot with the parts available. It's interesting how you put that AC in out of necessity but it ended up adding something to the realism of the result.

I used to start my lego cities out with a bunch of homeless guys who just happened to have a large inventory of parts for sale. There'd be a window guy, a door guy, a fence guy, a tire guy, etc. Then, they'd sell or trade with each other and the most successful ones would end up being able to build small houses or a car and so my city would grow. This reminded me of of that in a 30 years down the line sort of way.

Very good alternate build of the Town Hall. The details are quite nice.

Edited by cgarison

Excellent use of TH parts to build an alternative building. I took two THs, added a few pieces, and made the original wider, taller and deeper - but this is definitely a nice build!

This is really nice! The facade reminds me of a school building.

Very neat rendition. I think it would fit into your city quite well.

I like the new look for what it is. It may be limited, but you have accomplished it nicely.

The window ac unit is neat.

The building as a whole reminds me of a colonial style building. I just watched Hocus Pocus last night, so maybe that is why my mind is leaning that way.