Capn Frank

Phred's Frigate the Dame du Loup

oldviewfrigate.jpg

newsternfrigate.jpg

newbowfrigate.jpg

First off I'd like to say is that if you have any questions about this ship, please check out the MOCpages website first to if I've already discused it. The gun deck is going to be able to have 32 guns. The top deck should be able to have an addional 15 to 20 cannons. The hull is 34 studs at the widest and about 140 studs long. It's got a current crew of 120 to 135 pirates. With masts, the ship's main mast is about 4.5 feet tall or about 1.4m tall and is 5 feet long or about 1.5m long. Right now i'm only using bricks that i currently have and am pretty limited right now for getting new bricks just for this ship. Please feel free to give me input. Thanx.

The first pic is pretty old. I just wanted to give ppl a feel for how big it is since the frigate is currently under heavy costruction in the center portion and is in no condition to have a full view pic.

The bottom half of the masts i use technic and long brick beams. They aren't exactly round, but they're very solid and sturdy and easy to build crows-nest platforms off of.

The top half of the masts are just the classic pirate masts made as high as possible.

The second pic is a good view of the rear of the stern. The gun deck is going to moved up one level to be on the same level as the captain's quarters. I know the interior floors are red and won't be after i'm done with a major part of the center section. I didn't think i had enough plates but later realized i did.

The third picture is a current view of my bow. I have since decided to get rid of the helicopter pieces for capstans and have since made a different capstan. This capstan thread on eurobricks here is where the pics are for my new capstan. I realized i could do much better than using helicopter pieces. My brother is also very much into lego pirates. Growing up, he choose to get Imperial guard sets while i got pirate sets. The wolf figurehead is knawing on a skeleton with an Imperial captain's hat on as kind of joke between my brother and I. >8-)

My brickshelf link that has all my internet pics here:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=207619

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=207619

My MOCpages link that describes more of the ship:

http://www.mocpages.com/folder.php/11160

What a giant. 8-o

I really would like to see some shots directly from the side.

Oh, nice dog btw.

X-O 8-o Incredible!!!! That's massive! Also a very nice brick-built hull! So this is the infamous ship we've been hereing about from your capstan thread. Those masts are just, wow. The stern is probably one of the best I have ever seen. I like just how it looks. Rigging is also very well done. Rudder is also very big. The wheel looks cool with the other one on the other side. The wheel-to-rudder contraption is superb. Interior and all looks *y* great. This is a great ship you've made....big masts! I hope you get sails on them soon!

That's a big ship you are building. How long are you working on it already?

Nice to see the hull made from bricks. I would love to see some pictures with a full crew.

My favorite part is the bow. That looks really awesome.

sideview.jpg

What a giant. 8-o

I really would like to see some shots directly from the side.

Oh, nice dog btw.

it's hard for my sucky camera to not take sucky pictures. Here's the current side view as requested. When the ship is complete, i'll post pics with a crew and all my cannon, but that might not be for a month or two. That's the Armada flagship right behind the frigate.

Thanx for the compliments ppl.

Nice, but the black and blue doesn't correspond with the white and yellow in the front :( .<That's supposed to be a sad face I think.

Nice, but the black and blue doesn't correspond with the white and yellow in the front :( .<That's supposed to be a sad face I think.

Mmmm, you're right.

It would be better if the blue in the side was replaced by white.

sideview.jpg

Without the sails it reminds me of a bit of a modern cargo ship.

Its supposed to be the "unhappy" smiley, this is :'-( the sad one

i don't even have the walls of the gun deck built yet, which is going to be white (eh pretty much :P), i'm hoping that ties in the black and blue better. The stern and a little with the bow also needs to be reworked with the intro of blue. i'll see how it turns out.

What is the length of this ship?

the hull is 140- 145 studs long and with the forward facing mast the length is about 5 ft long or 1.54 m long

Actually 5 feet is 152.4 centimetres :-D

But aye carumba! 1.52 metres is long for a LEGO ship! What has inspired you to make a ship this big?

Actually 5 feet is 152.4 centimetres :-D

But aye carumba! 1.52 metres is long for a LEGO ship! What has inspired you to make a ship this big?

my metric converting to stupid english standard isn't that good so i always try to say about :-P

My brother and i were talking about having a role playing battle between our naval vessels using evil stevies games rules or something similar. My brother got deployed to Kuwaitt and i had a year to make something to go up against his massive fleet of about 8 - 12 non-MOC ships and another 5 - 7 imperial assorted forts

He's back home in the US now and likes the ship A LOT. He doesn't want to dismantle all is non-MOCs to make one big ship though.

well first i was going to build as big of a MOC as possible with the hull pieces and used up most of them. I started with the layout of the hull pices and it looked way too skinny for the length i wanted.

After a little research on frigate sized vessels, i found that a frigate sized vessel is at least 25 and up to 40 feet wide, or about :-D 8 to 13 meters.

In my estimation, i usually consider each stud to be 1 foot by 1 foot; so i realized i needed a ship that has a hull that's at least 25 studs wide.

my first hull construction was around 24 studs wide and i was pretty content with it until i realized i had quite a lot of pieces left for the bottom of the hull. so i tore it apart and started with the bow and just made as big of a bow as possible with all my black and white 3x3 facet bricks and it came to be 30 studs wide. And i made the Dame du Loup (err. most of it).

In my estimation, i usually consider each stud to be 1 foot by 1 foot; so i realized i needed a ship that has a hull that's at least 25 studs wide.

That's an interesting measure meant system and it seems rather plausible.

And remember folks 1 feet = 30.48 centimetres. ;-)

Yes, meters are such shocking things! They're so much more logical and easier to use than feet. No wonder they're the international standard for the science, engineering and commerce.

That's a big ship you are building. How long are you working on it already?

Nice to see the hull made from bricks. I would love to see some pictures with a full crew.

My favorite part is the bow. That looks really awesome.

Sorry I didn

What's that cylindrical thing under the centre of the hull? A space vehicle wheel?

yes that's a space vehicle wheel :-$ . the whole ship roles on these to make it easier to move on the floor. I've used about 12-15 of them, i don't remember off hand. but it works out very well with a ship this size.

yes that's a space vehicle wheel :-$ . the whole ship roles on these to make it easier to move on the floor.

A ship on wheels *sweet* ....

Good to see you've thought of such practical things.

wow... i thinnk you should convert this ship to imperial gaurds or soldiers though because the colour scheme looks to regal to be pirates even if it was captured. they would probably paint it again. if it's going to be a pirate ship you should change it to brown.

wow... i thinnk you should convert this ship to imperial gaurds or soldiers though because the colour scheme looks to regal to be pirates even if it was captured. they would probably paint it again. if it's going to be a pirate ship you should change it to brown.

when i started this ship i didn't have much for brown. when i had the bow and stern pretty much done, i got the sand crawler and jaba's sail barge. i didn't feel like mixing the reddish-brown with classic grays too much cause i wanted as little of the bley and reddish-brown as possible with this frigate. I think i'll use dark bley and reddish-brown only with my bomb ketch (that i'm plan on building right after this one is done).

Besides, i like to think of my pirates here having some class and elegance X-D . They're proud of there awesome vessel and take good care of it (by orders of the captain). Then it looks more like an imperial ship to fool and more easily take over those small merchant vessels. Rather than chase everything that they get near.

When you said your pirates had class and elegance I immediately thought of this song

http://www.raystevens.com/SongLyrics/PirateSongLyrics.html

when i started this ship i didn't have much for brown. when i had the bow and stern pretty much done, i got the sand crawler and jaba's sail barge. i didn't feel like mixing the reddish-brown with classic grays too much cause i wanted as little of the bley and reddish-brown as possible with this frigate. I think i'll use dark bley and reddish-brown only with my bomb ketch (that i'm plan on building right after this one is done).

Besides, i like to think of my pirates here having some class and elegance X-D . They're proud of there awesome vessel and take good care of it (by orders of the captain). Then it looks more like an imperial ship to fool and more easily take over those small merchant vessels. Rather than chase everything that they get near.