djmangunz

The Avengers Assemble!

I have to say that I am a bit surprised that no one else has started this thread, especially since we found out about the new Super Heroes line at SDCC. But as a lifelong fan of Marvel comics (except for Spider-Man, never got into Spidey)I am stoked out of my mind for this movie. And after the success of both Iron Man movies, plus Thor and Captain America, it seems that we are primed for a great superhero movie team-up the likes of which we have never seen. For those who don't know, the Avengers will include Iron Man, Thor, Captain America, Nick Fury, Hawkeye, The Hulk, and the Black Widow, along with a villain who will remain nameless here. :wink: The downside is that it will not include two of the founding members; Ant Man and the Wasp. This years SDCC gave us a goldmine of information about the movie set to come out next May. Here are some images of the concept art for the major characters,the Helicarrier, and Quin jet.

http://collider.com/the-avengers-concept-art/104859/

And here is a blurb about the movie for those who need catching up:

Robert Downey, Jr. (“Iron Man,” “Iron Man 2″) returns as the iconic Tony Stark/Iron Man along with Chris Hemsworth (“Thor”) as Thor, Chris Evans (“Captain America: The First Avenger”) as Captain America, Jeremy Renner (“Thor,” “The Hurt Locker”) as Hawkeye, Mark Ruffalo (“The Kids Are Alright”) as Hulk, Scarlett Johansson (“Iron Man 2″) as Black Widow, Clark Gregg (“Iron Man,” “Thor”) as Agent Phil Coulson, and Samuel L. Jackson (“Iron Man,” “Iron Man 2″) as Nick Fury. Set for release in the US on May 4, 2012, “Marvel’s The Avengers” is the first feature to be fully owned, marketed and distributed by Disney, which acquired Marvel in 2009.

Continuing the epic big-screen adventures started in “Iron Man,” “The Incredible Hulk,” “Iron Man 2,” “Thor,” and “Captain America: The First Avenger,” “Marvel’s The Avengers” is the super hero team up of a lifetime. When an unexpected enemy emerges that threatens global safety and security, Nick Fury, director of the international peacekeeping agency known as S.H.I.E.L.D., finds himself in need of a team to pull the world back from the brink of disaster.

Based on the ever-popular Marvel comic book series, first published in 1963, “Marvel’s The Avengers” brings together the mightiest super hero characters as they all assemble together on screen for the first time. The star studded cast of super heroes will be joined by Cobie Smulders (“How I Met Your Mother) as Agent Maria Hill of S.H.I.E.L.D., as well as Tom Hiddleston (“Wallander”) and Stellan Skarsgård (“Angels & Demons,” “Mamma Mia!”) who will both reprise their respective roles as Loki and Professor Erik Selvig from the upcoming Marvel Studios’ feature “Thor.”

So what do you folks think? Are you as excited for this movie as I am?

Edited by djmangunz

I think there hasn't been a thread about this because there isn't much to discuss (yet). It's obvious that this is the single most anticipated movie since Star Wars Episode III. Anyone who is a fan of one or more of the involved heroes/actors is gonna be stoked for this. Including me! :excited:

While I don't expect it to be as awesome as the current TV show or the animated movies, this promises to be one heck of a ride!

One thing I find disappointing is that they also excluded Black Panther, who is one of the best characters in the cartoons. :sceptic: Him along with Ant Man and Wasp would have made great minifigs too. :cry_sad: But maybe they will be released at some point anyway. Besides, maybe it's a good thing that they shortened the list of members as it will give more screentime for those who are in it.

Anyhoo, bring on May! :moar:

PS: Are you talking about Loki, or is there another villain I am not aware of?

PS: Are you talking about Loki, or is there another villain I am not aware of?

Yep, that's who I am talking about! :grin: Just don't want to ruin it for anyone who doesn't want to know yet. Actually, Marvel has plans to make an Ant Man movie and it sounds like he will be in Avengers 2, so who knows? Maybe we will see the Black Panther in future movies. I mean, they want to make a Doctor Strange movie so the sky is the limit!

Yep, that's who I am talking about! :grin: Just don't want to ruin it for anyone who doesn't want to know yet. Actually, Marvel has plans to make an Ant Man movie and it sounds like he will be in Avengers 2, so who knows? Maybe we will see the Black Panther in future movies. I mean, they want to make a Doctor Strange movie so the sky is the limit!

Then you might wanna put the quote in the first post in spoiler tags. :wink:

And yes, I'm sure they will make movies of all the heroes, and if Avengers is successful (How could it not?), they'll probably make sequel with them in it.

Eh, I didn't put the spoiler tags in the intro because most people are casual fans and have no idea who half these characters are. But you are correct in the fact that they will be making more, they currently are planning on an Avengers trilogy.

The Ant-Man movie was being billed as a semi-comedy, and was attached to Edgar Wright, I think. If Hank Pym makes it to the Avengers, I think Giant-Man is more likely.

And I don't think Loki is a spoiler, since if you've seen Thor, you know he's getting involved with the cosmic cube. And if you've ever read a comic, you know he was the reason the Avengers were formed (something I'm sure he regrets).

But, there is another rumor, of a cosmic villain, which should be a spoiler, and isn't as well known and yet to be in any movie:

Thanos, the lover of Death

I love this character, so if that's what's happening, I will be even more looking forward to it.

By the way, if anyone wants to do some comic reading in preparation of the movie, the Ultimates volumes one and two are a better choice than than any Avengers comics. They seem a lot closer to the vibe the movies have been leading to.

It's obvious that this is the single most anticipated movie since Star Wars Episode III.

I doubt it. While i'm in no way shape or form a Potter fan, i think those movies were far more anticipated than Avengers. The new Star Trek movie, first Transformers, all were blowing up boards every where. And Episode III? Nah. Episode one maybe as there had been a 20+ year gap in SW movies.

I'm looking forward to this, but there are other movies coming up that i think will be just as good, if not better. For some reason, the new "Battleship" movie really intriges me, and i'm curious if Dark Knight Rises can top the Dark Knight.

def, good reading suggestions. I know that they vary off the true path of the Avengers, but I like the Ultimate Avenger series myself. Anyway, Edgar Wright just gave an update about the status of an Ant Man movie and talked about how it would be done. Here is a blurb:

It would include two different Ant-Men: Henry Pym and Scott Lang. In the Marvel Comics source material, both characters make use of a special formula and suit that allows them to shrink, as well as a high-tech helmet that facilitates communication with ants and other insects. "Ant-Man" is said to feature flashbacks of the original hero, Pym, as well as scenes of his successor, Lang, in the present day.

Article:

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1667877/ant-man-movie-edgar-wright.jhtml

I have long heard that Nathan Fillion was up for the role, but who knows? I would imagine the "Captain" would do a good job.

5150, I think that you would find a greater following among hardcore fanboy sites for this movie rather than the mainstream. But I would say that it has a lot of people excited for it. Maybe not Potter or Star Wars big but pretty intense. ( And Battleship? I think I just vomited on Michael Bay's shoes) :grin:

I think it's bigger than Star Wars III since most normal people didn't really care for the prequels. They were more kids movies.

In contrast, Iron Man, Thor and Captain America have all been big mainstream successes, and I can see a lot of anticipation building. But it all depends on the script and the directing. I'm somewhat optimistic.

If you saw Captain America and were patient enough to wait a few minutes, you got to see a teaser trailer for the Avengers movie. Marvel released it online last week. The downside is that they included the last minute of the Captain movie. :wacko: So if you haven't seen the movie, proceed with caution. But it does give some fleeting glances at the new uniforms and Hawkeye, not to mention the bridge of the Helicarrier which is really really sweet.

video:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/29/the-avengers-trailer-teaser_n_912923.html

Edited by djmangunz

If you saw Captain America and were patient enough to wait a few minutes, you got to see a teaser trailer for the Avengers movie.

Awesome, thanks. At least now I know for sure there's an 'after-credits scene'. I missed the one after Thor, because the cinema employees said there wasn't one :hmpf_bad:

Anyhoo, I'm really psyched for this movie.

Until about six years ago, the only thing from Marvel I was interested in, was X-Men.

I never really bothered to check out some of the other characters that the Marvel Universe offered.

Then movies of other Marvel productions started to appear, like Fantastic Four and such, and my interest in the Marvel Universe broadened.

And after Iron Man I couldn't wait for a movie like this. I love how they bring it all together.

Like the 'after-credits scene' from the Incredible Hulk, where Tony Stark approaches General Ross, telling him about the Avenger Initiative.

And of course the way Nick Fury did that at the end of Iron Man.

I'm really interested in seeing how they'll let all the characters communicate with eachother and everything. And how the teamwork will go (if at all :grin: ).

I still think it's too bad they couldn't get Edward Norton as Dr. Bruce Banner, I loved him in The Incredible Hulk.

So, yeah.. this was my, not so short, opinion about The Avengers :blush:

Regards,

Mitch

Edited by CF WeaZZel

Those cinema employees are a bunch of lairs. :wink: (Just kidding, I have the utmost respect for those titans of the movie theaters)This was by far the biggest teaser that we have gotten in any of the movies, probably because it will be the last Marvel movie tied into the Avengers before the actual movie hits screens next year. I think that is one of the most appealing parts of this franchise, the fact that they have taken such care to connect the worlds and movies of each character, bringing them all together in one giant combination of awesomeness!

I think that is one of the most appealing parts of this franchise, the fact that they have taken such care to connect the worlds and movies of each character, bringing them all together in one giant combination of awesomeness!

Exactly my point. I'm really excited to find out how they will all be brought together and how they will respond to eachother.

And I'm also kind of hoping we'll see Tony Stark's Hulkbuster-outfit :wub: Though I realize that's probably a long shot.

I also love Agent Coulson's role in it all. I think he's hilarious in Iron Man, Iron Man 2 and Thor (those are the only movies he's in, so far, right?).

Does he appear in Cap. Am. by the way? I know Nick Fury does, which makes sense. But Fury and Coulson don't seem to differ that much in age, so in my opinion it is a possibility.

Regards,

Mitch

One thing I find disappointing is that they also excluded Black Panther, who is one of the best characters in the cartoons. :sceptic: Him along with Ant Man and Wasp would have made great minifigs too. :cry_sad: But maybe they will be released at some point anyway. Besides, maybe it's a good thing that they shortened the list of members as it will give more screentime for those who are in.

I don't see a Black Panther movie being a good idea, seeing as how there has been a small Black Panther Party in the U.S. which caused a bit of controversy.

And I'm also kind of hoping we'll see Tony Stark's Hulkbuster-outfit :wub: Though I realize that's probably a long shot.

I also love Agent Coulson's role in it all. I think he's hilarious in Iron Man, Iron Man 2 and Thor (those are the only movies he's in, so far, right?).

Does he appear in Cap. Am. by the way? I know Nick Fury does, which makes sense. But Fury and Coulson don't seem to differ that much in age, so in my opinion it is a possibility.

The Hulkbuster suit would be sweet, and we haven't seen a final image of Tony's armor for the movie so who knows? The reason that I think they don't include Agent Coulson in Captain America is for the reason you suggested, the filmmakers didn't want to portray him as quite that old.

The reason that I think they don't include Agent Coulson in Captain America is for the reason you suggested, the filmmakers didn't want to portray him as quite that old.

Yeah, that's understandable I guess.

And I read that Agent Coulson will get a few short films, where his character has the lead and we'll get to know him a bit better, and differently.

I think it's great they do this. Just like Clark Gregg says he likes how his character has been given the opportunity to grow a little, as he appeared throughout several movies.

But I believe I'm getting a little off topic :blush:

Regards,

Mitch

Edited by CF WeaZZel

All I can say is YES! I love crossovers and I've been anticipating this one since 2008 with Iron Man. Hopefully this isn't like all other crossovers in Hollywood History. Can't wait for spring now! :cry_happy::wub_drool:

Disney is having their D23 Expo this weekend, which is like the Mickey Mouse version of the SDCC. Anyway, since Marvel had one of the sets of the Helicarier at the aforementioned CC, who knows what they might have in store, especially since they decided not to send any of their cast to the CC in lieu of creating more hype for the D23. I for one would love to see more detailed images of the final version of the Helicarrier, QuinJet, Iron Man's suit. Who knows? Maybe we will get some more pictures of some certain Super Hero themed Lego sets? Here's hoping :grin:

Blurb about the Avengers pannel at the D23

The Avengers”: On the screen, this May 2012 film will team Iron Man (Robert Downey Jr.), Captain America (Chris Evans), Thor (Chris Hemsworth) and the Hulk (now Mark Ruffalo and looking different) and off the screen it represents the first Marvel Studios release to fully fly under the Disney banner. Feige and his team made Comic-Con history in 2010 when they marched the whole cast (which also includes Samuel L. Jackson, Scarlett Johansson and Jeremy Renner) out on stage and the thunderclap moment was so big that they opted to skip Hall H altogether this year. Feige and director Joss Whedon won’t say what they have in mind for this weekend’s Anaheim adventure.

Eventhough Captain America was incredibly bad due to the ridiculous amount of bogus weapons and tanks for a movie in world war 2, I am looking forward to this movie, mainly because I love Thor an Iron Man. I think the plot is pretty set out in stone now.

Eventhough Captain America was incredibly bad due to the ridiculous amount of bogus weapons and tanks for a movie in world war 2, I am looking forward to this movie.

What? *oh2* I thought Captain America was probably the best marvel movie of the year. Well I guess everyone's entitled to their own opinion. The question is this for us superhero lovers. What are you looking forward to more? This or Dark Knight Rises? :grin:

Edited by K-nut

What? *oh2* I thought Captain America was probably the best marvel movie of the year. Well I guess everyone's entitled to their own opinion. The question is this for us superhero lovers. What are you looking forward to more? This or Dark Knight Rises? :grin:

Yeah, I think it pushed the limits of seriousness for me, but the actress playing Peggy was the highlight. :wink:

Dark Knight Rises. I think they are probably the best superhero films, but I can't wait for the new Spider Man.

...but I can't wait for the new Spider Man.

Sorry to get off topic but I wish that Marvel did one more Spider man movie before the reboot. The 3rd one was really depressing.

But I agree, Peggy was one of the highlights. :grin:

I also really enjoyed Captain America, especially Howard Starks role in it. I am somewhat biased but I have to say that Avengers is number one on my must see list next year.

Did I hear, Lego Scarlett Johannson?

:classic:

Yes, yes you did. That sound you hear is a thousand fan boys screaming like little girls. :grin: