sigpro

S90 SUBMARINE real bricks

Hi people!

Maybe some of you know me of the Star Wars forum. I am the proud builder of one of the UCS minifig AT-ATs and the Imperial Base, but I wanted to change and build something different. And after the Alebricks 2016 Lego Event I decided to build a minifig size submarine.

I took inspiration on the S80 class under construction by Navantia, but I wanted it larger and more powerful.

This is what I have by far...only the bow, the first module, and the sail. I don´t know when I will finish it, but I would like to build it with bricks for Christmas.

The sub will hold 40 minifigs (32 for crew and 8 for a SpecOps unit)(like in the soon-to-be-built S81 for the Spanish Navy), 8 tubes (6 in the "real" S80), with an estimated length of 220 studs (approx). The design has been tricky, but it looks good. The real LEGO model will have detachable panels, so the inner rooms (control room, quarters, halls...) may be seen.

I hope you enjoy it, and questions are welcome! Of course it must be finished and more detailed, but it´s promising

28064640015_8510de8b0b_c.jpgSUBMARINO ENSAMBLADO 2 by green helmet spanish AFOL, en Flickr

Edited by sigpro

Ohhh, nice diesel generator. Are they mechanically linked to the shaft or just generate electricity and then motors drive the shaft?

Hi Kodan, thanks for your comment and interesting question.

My sub will work in a similar way that WW2 US subs (Balaos, Gatos) worked: the diesel engine(s) don´t drive the propellers; just provide electricty for a generator that drives the electric motor AND recharges the batteries while surfaced or snorkelling.

German U-boats had a different power plant: each diesel engine crankshaft was connected with a clutch to the electric motor shaft (thus the electric motors acted as dynamos while running on diesel engines) and moving the propeller.

Best regards.

This will be a Leviathan when finished! Nice work. A monster build to be sure. The taper of the nose is quite interesting. If you care to share, I would like to know how you achieved all those intricate step-backs. I detect some complicated SNOT-work in there. :classic:

Hi Rotundus, thanks for you comment.

I have assembled the last module in LDD (with the pump-jet propulsion system and rudders) and its overall length is about 241-242 studs.

The bow was very tricky to design, and I will update the Flickr album for everybody to see how it was build. There was a massive use of angle elements (part designation in LDD) with 135 and 157,5 degrees.

Best regards.

Thank you. I'll be looking forward to examining it. I rather like your other builds that you have featured on Flickr, as well. I can see that HUGE is your favorite way to build. :classic: All are very well done!

Thank you for this additional pic. The taper of the nose looks a lot simpler than I thought it would be... Very elegant solution. Nice use of pin connectors for the last angle and cap. Well done.

Enjoy the beast!

I designed two versions on LDD.

Version 1, reporting name "cucumber" for the towed array sonar on the upper rudder, a license I took from the Russian Akula and Victor SSN classes.

28589331475_f2d848de08_o.pngSUBMARINO ENSAMBLADO 3 by green helmet spanish AFOL, en Flickr

Version 2, reporting name "little cucumber", as the towed array sonar is more realistic and smaller.

28510910021_59f8b822f5_o.pngSUBMARINO ENSAMBLADO 3 SONAR DISTINTO by green helmet spanish AFOL, en Flickr

More pics soon, also with the inner parts.

Enjoy!

Hi again.

I remodeled the hull because something "was wrong".

It now features a bump along the hull, housing inflatable rafts, non-essential equipment, the snorkel tube...

You´ll probably notice a few dark-gray tiles on the sail; the 16 short-range SAM missiles are housed there.

28433991020_bc76bb5bf2_o.pngNEW HULL FULL by green helmet spanish AFOL, en Flickr

And a few pics of the torpedo room.

24 weapons, plus 8 in the tubes. This version carries 18 torpedoes, 3 cruise missiles, and 3 SSM missiles. There are 8 more weapons in the tubes (probably 6 torps, 1 CM, and 1 SSM).

28100539944_f49abfbfb2_o.pngTORPEDO ROOM1 by green helmet spanish AFOL, en Flickr

28612031202_62d2218737_o.pngTORPEDO ROOM2 by green helmet spanish AFOL, en Flickr

28102426023_5be66df449_o.pngTORPEDO ROOM3 by green helmet spanish AFOL, en Flickr

Enjoy!

Hi again.

I have just started with the construction of the real sub.

This is the electric motor. As it is not easy to find pictures of submarine electric motors...I decided to build something simple.

ELECTRIC MOTOR - MOTOR ELECTRICO

Here you can see the AIP tanks. The big one is the bioethanol tank and the small one is the oxygen tank. Ethanol is mixed with pure water, giving CO2, water, and Hydrogen. By mixing Hydrogen and Oxygen in a fuel cell we have water and electricity. Simple!

AIP TANKS - DEPÓSITOS AIP

Weaponry. 2 torpedos (inspired in the German DM2A4 torpedo), a Tomahawk-type cruise missile and a surface-surface missile (perhaps similar to the SubHarpoon SSM).

ARMAMENT - WEAPONS

No diesel engines, no propulsion. Three like this are linked to three electric converters to recharge the batteries and give energy to the electric motor. A low noise pump jet drives the sub.

GENERADOR DIESEL 1 0

First step of the real MOC in the upper deck of the second section; bunks and control room.

IMG_20161228_123307

Lower deck of the second section.

IMG_20161228_123340

And the same part seen from the keel.

IMG_20161228_123402

Enjoy!

Edited by sigpro
no pics in the first edition