Jump to content


Meeting with the Log Baron


  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Jason Cicchini

Jason Cicchini

  • Big Horn Historican


    Posts: 241
    Joined: 14-January 10
    Member: 9064
    Country: USA

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:12 PM

Posted Image

The Log Baron

One of the most notorious people in Darwynia is Vikdar Brommel, commonly known as the Log Baron.
He is the owner and founder of Brommel's Log & Lumber, a large-scale exporter and supplier to all of Historica.
Personally worth millions of darics, his influence also extends into other various dealings: Loan Sharking, Smuggling, Information Networking, and referring clients to specialists with only the best reputations.
His garishly decorated private residence lies in the outskirts between Darwynia and Albion.

Posted Image

Brommel greets Sharra Foxpaw, a legendary hunter, and her elven lover and partner, Dornir Threeleaves.
There have been several recents attempts on Brommel's life, and so he has summoned the adventurers to his home to hire them to investigate.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Formerly from Mitgardia, where he trained as woodworking apprentice, Vikdar left Valholl in his eighteenth year and traveled down in the lush grasslands of Avalonia. A rumored romantic, the windows and door of his home are handcrafted pieces made by Brommel himself.

Posted Image

Closer pictures of the main characters of this MOC can be found at the Citizens of Avalonia Brichshelf folder, here when moderated.

Lord Khelperth Darwyn of Avalonia
Master Cartographer, High King of the Elves


#2 Captain BeerBeard

Captain BeerBeard

  • Ringleader


    Posts: 1278
    Joined: 25-May 11
    Member: 18031
    Country: America

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:19 PM

I don't think I've seen a building with this type of styling before. I really like the gold over the window. Lookin' good! :thumbup:  Keep'em coming!

Edited by Captain BeerBeard, 07 March 2012 - 07:21 PM.

Nocturnus Scoundrel

#3 de Gothia

de Gothia

  • Still really, really, REALLY wants to join Nocturnus.


    Posts: 2065
    Joined: 25-May 11
    Member: 18035
    Country: Sweden

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:28 PM

Looking really good Jason! Great story too and I´m a bit concerned to have that kind of fella close to my Benoic!  :laugh: :wink:  

The building is packed with great details like the large window, the other windows with two windows in one (did that make sense? :classic:)  the whips on the door and the woooden roof!

The back of the house is rather plain though, perhaps some windows? Or is it because there are some private business going on there?  :wink:

Great job on this one Jason!

de Gothia of Avalonia



My Flickr


#4 Kayne

Kayne

    Posts: 974
    Joined: 01-January 12
    Member: 23719
    Country: Michiphlin

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:30 PM

Nice job!  You have incorporated some nice techniques in here.  You have already grown as a builder since we started the Guilds of Historica!

MoonLord Kha-Lord of Ras-El-Ahken-Kaliphlin
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

My MOCpagesMy Flickrhttp://www.bricklink...p=darkenrahl_17 Kayne is able(Bricklink)


#5 Jason Cicchini

Jason Cicchini

  • Big Horn Historican


    Posts: 241
    Joined: 14-January 10
    Member: 9064
    Country: USA

Posted 13 March 2012 - 12:06 PM

View PostCaptain BeerBeard, on 07 March 2012 - 07:19 PM, said:

I don't think I've seen a building with this type of styling before. I really like the gold over the window. Lookin' good! :thumbup:  Keep'em coming!

Thanks, BeerBeard! Coming from you, that means a lot!
I've been experimenting with styles/shapes of buildings we haven't seen in LEGO form before. A lot of Center City Philadelphia (a.k.a. home) has some well hidden European-styled architecture, and I draw a lot of inspiration from walking around and finding little gems here and there. The idea of rounded walls with dormer windows and slanted rooves was the inspiration for this one.

View Postde Gothia, on 07 March 2012 - 07:28 PM, said:

Looking really good Jason! Great story too and I´m a bit concerned to have that kind of fella close to my Benoic!  :laugh: :wink:  

The building is packed with great details like the large window, the other windows with two windows in one (did that make sense? :classic:)  the whips on the door and the woooden roof!

The back of the house is rather plain though, perhaps some windows? Or is it because there are some private business going on there?  :wink:

Great job on this one Jason!

Thanks, deGothia!
Benoic is a dear neighbor to Darwynia, but I'm sure Vikdar already has some business partners there. So, watch out! :wink:
Thanks for mentioning my favorite details! I really like how the whips as a corner detail worked. I may use a mod of it again soon.
I wanted to really convey hand-crafted woodwork, someone who took a lot of pride in it.
As far as the back, I did have an idea for a scene but I felt it might be a bit overkill for this build, so I dropped it at the last minute. But yes, you got it. Vikdar's private quarters are positioned near the back, so most of the "unsavory" dealings commence there. Hence, no windows.

View PostKayne, on 09 March 2012 - 08:30 PM, said:

Nice job!  You have incorporated some nice techniques in here.  You have already grown as a builder since we started the Guilds of Historica!

Aw, shucks! That's very kind, Kayne. I've been brickin' for a while, but haven't really hit my stride 'til recently. When I saw GoH I knew I'd have a great excuse to hunker down and produce some good builds. I'm glad you like them, and thanks for the support!
There is definitely more to come, and don't forget: I'm working on the Royal Opera House for Albion as well!  :sweet:

Lord Khelperth Darwyn of Avalonia
Master Cartographer, High King of the Elves


#6 Kerntechniker

Kerntechniker

    Posts: 303
    Joined: 02-April 10
    Member: 10122
    Country: Germany

Posted 13 March 2012 - 12:34 PM

Looks really great and I enjoy this 360° shots from the house.

In addition your story makes this entry even more enjoyable.

I am looking forward to see more from you.

Posted Image  Posted Image  Posted Image

Earl of Greater-Burrium
Member of the Guild of Avalonia

WIP Burrium-Aqua


GoH Wiki


My favourite Bricklink Shop: Brickolis

#7 ZCerberus

ZCerberus

  • Little Boney


    Posts: 4876
    Joined: 23-October 06
    Member: 1043
    Country: USA

Posted 13 March 2012 - 01:23 PM

Some nice techniques on this one.  I like that you went for the angled walls and used some interesting parts like the minifig legs and whips.

I would suggest you put some windows on the backside though.  It looks a little bland without them back there.

Posted Image+Posted Image+Posted Image+Posted Image+Posted Image+Posted Image+Posted Image+Posted Image

See these MOCs and MORE in the Guilds of Historica!


Trian Burress fell in Nocturnus at the battle for Abyssian!


New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide | Tutorials


#8 Kayne

Kayne

    Posts: 974
    Joined: 01-January 12
    Member: 23719
    Country: Michiphlin

Posted 13 March 2012 - 03:35 PM

View PostJason Cicchini, on 13 March 2012 - 12:06 PM, said:

Aw, shucks! That's very kind, Kayne. I've been brickin' for a while, but haven't really hit my stride 'til recently. When I saw GoH I knew I'd have a great excuse to hunker down and produce some good builds. I'm glad you like them, and thanks for the support!
There is definitely more to come, and don't forget: I'm working on the Royal Opera House for Albion as well!  :sweet:

Same with me.  I started building about this time last year, but when I saw the GoH challenge I really hoped to join a group with some great builders and improve myself.  I definitely think that this project is a huge help for newbies like me!

Edited by Kayne, 13 March 2012 - 03:35 PM.

MoonLord Kha-Lord of Ras-El-Ahken-Kaliphlin
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

My MOCpagesMy Flickrhttp://www.bricklink...p=darkenrahl_17 Kayne is able(Bricklink)


#9 Ecclesiastes

Ecclesiastes

  • Master of "da hood"


    Posts: 2368
    Joined: 04-May 11
    Member: 17645
    Country: Holland

Posted 13 March 2012 - 04:44 PM

View PostZCerberus, on 13 March 2012 - 01:23 PM, said:

Some nice techniques on this one.  I like that you went for the angled walls and used some interesting parts like the minifig legs and whips.

I would suggest you put some windows on the backside though.  It looks a little bland without them back there.

Indeed! I definitely like the angles, it worked out well on the roof and that's quite difficult. Also the use of the whips is a great idea.

Got Questions? Need help? New member?
Read the site guidelines | Index of helpful tutorials | Eurobricks FAQ


Posted Image
There's a time for tearing down and a time for building. - Ecclesiastes

My Flickr


#10 Jason Cicchini

Jason Cicchini

  • Big Horn Historican


    Posts: 241
    Joined: 14-January 10
    Member: 9064
    Country: USA

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:07 AM

View PostKerntechniker, on 13 March 2012 - 12:34 PM, said:

Looks really great and I enjoy this 360° shots from the house.

In addition your story makes this entry even more enjoyable.

I am looking forward to see more from you.

Thanks, K! This story will tie into my 3rd Challenge entry, so stay tuned!


View PostZCerberus, on 13 March 2012 - 01:23 PM, said:

Some nice techniques on this one.  I like that you went for the angled walls and used some interesting parts like the minifig legs and whips.

I would suggest you put some windows on the backside though.  It looks a little bland without them back there.

Many thanks, Z! I've been working on a few things to keep up with you guys, glad to see my first venture was successful!
I've been teetering on the edge with my recent builds, trying not to break into my non-GoH builds or the Kingdom's Joust I bought myself as a X-Mas present...but every challenge it gets harder and harder not to.

View PostKayne, on 13 March 2012 - 03:35 PM, said:

Same with me.  I started building about this time last year, but when I saw the GoH challenge I really hoped to join a group with some great builders and improve myself.  I definitely think that this project is a huge help for newbies like me!

I agree. I felt very intimidated at first, knowing I wanted to challenge myself. Not only is this guild (and every one) founded by a Master Builder, but when the first challenge started and all these great creations started showing up, I knew I had to amp up my game.
Getting recognition from said people and the rest of the community has spurred me on to continue doing one of the things I love, and to try to contribute my very best amongst esteemed colleagues.

View PostEcclesiastes, on 13 March 2012 - 04:44 PM, said:

Indeed! I definitely like the angles, it worked out well on the roof and that's quite difficult. Also the use of the whips is a great idea.

Again, many thanks. I've found myself back in love with strange architecture, and I'm trying to feature that in my builds. If I can't have the coolest, or the biggest, or the most detailed build, I can definitely do the quirkiest!  :wacko:

Lord Khelperth Darwyn of Avalonia
Master Cartographer, High King of the Elves


#11 MikeyB

MikeyB

  • Closet Nocturnus Fan


    Posts: 849
    Joined: 15-October 08
    Member: 4147
    Country: USA

Posted 14 March 2012 - 12:46 PM

Great building and like other have said, some nice detail and use of parts.  

[quote name='Jason Cicchini' date='14 March 2012 - 06:07 AM' timestamp='1331716067' post='1230388'


I've been teetering on the edge with my recent builds, trying not to break into my non-GoH builds or the Kingdom's Joust I bought myself as a X-Mas present...but every challenge it gets harder and harder not to.

[/quote]

I think that is a dilemma we all face!  Here is my opinion, if you have a decent storage and organization system, it isn't that hard to rebuild the original sets.

That said, i still have all my modular buildings on display even though they are a great source for parts (all those lovely Dark grey tiles!) they just look so nice together!

I created a list of parts I thought would be useful to have (tile pieces, jumper plates, arched windows, headlight brick, bricks with studs on the side, 1x1 round plates, etc) and have been buying a $20-$30 bricklink order every 2 to 3 weeks.  It builds up your collection of free pieces fairly quickly. I still can't leave Most my MOC together yet but I do have enough for a couple small buildings now....

Edited by MikeyB, 14 March 2012 - 12:50 PM.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image


Lord Arlindus, Captain of Circardia and the Phoenix Guard, Avalonia Guildsman


#12 Lord Derfel Cadarn

Lord Derfel Cadarn

  • Lives in a pumpkin eat pumpkin world.


    Posts: 1393
    Joined: 10-March 09
    Member: 5528
    Country: United Kingdom

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:57 PM

That's a great building! You have certainly improved. Nice to see that you have attempted a more difficult shape then a standard square. Tackling angles in building is a good way to improve and find out what works and what doesn't. This is a great effort and has many nice details. Well done on the roof work. Keep up this good work :thumbup:
Posted Image     Posted Image                                                                          
                                    Lord Of The Dark Isle                 
                                                      My Flickr

#13 Jason Cicchini

Jason Cicchini

  • Big Horn Historican


    Posts: 241
    Joined: 14-January 10
    Member: 9064
    Country: USA

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:25 AM

View PostMikeyB, on 14 March 2012 - 12:46 PM, said:

I think that is a dilemma we all face!  Here is my opinion, if you have a decent storage and organization system, it isn't that hard to rebuild the original sets.

That said, i still have all my modular buildings on display even though they are a great source for parts (all those lovely Dark grey tiles!) they just look so nice together!
...

This latest challenge has forced me to break into my Superhero sets for detail work, so the modulars aren't far behind!
After all, I'm going for the win here! XD

Lord Khelperth Darwyn of Avalonia
Master Cartographer, High King of the Elves


#14 Jason Cicchini

Jason Cicchini

  • Big Horn Historican


    Posts: 241
    Joined: 14-January 10
    Member: 9064
    Country: USA

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:58 PM

View PostDerfel Cadarn, on 14 March 2012 - 08:57 PM, said:

That's a great building! You have certainly improved. Nice to see that you have attempted a more difficult shape then a standard square. Tackling angles in building is a good way to improve and find out what works and what doesn't. This is a great effort and has many nice details. Well done on the roof work. Keep up this good work :thumbup:

Thanks, DC! I know I've done a good job if I get a comment from you. hehe
I have plenty up my sleeve, so stay tuned!

Lord Khelperth Darwyn of Avalonia
Master Cartographer, High King of the Elves


#15 Rogue Angel

Rogue Angel

  • No Longer Suffering From Male Pattern Baldness


    Posts: 1844
    Joined: 17-December 08
    Member: 4711
    Country: USA

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:33 AM

Some nice window and roofing techniques on this build.  I really like the main door.  The use of the arches for non-windowed walls is a great idea - I might have to try that.  nice build!  It's always nice to see new building techniques.

Lord Varis of the Rustling Leaves Clan within the Enchanted Forest of Avalonia

Posted Image   Posted Image   Posted Image Posted Image





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users