Dr Rod

Dr Rod's expanded watchtower - Rakath Mtns

Dr Rod thought it might be a good idea to post some pics of his Nocturnus tower and the surrounding area.

It was shown at Brickexpo in Canberra, Australia over the last weekend and won the "Best Large MOC" award!

Pic below has the whole layout.

7579911080_e37d5a4f81_c.jpg

Bit of the detail at the drawbridge.

7579913422_cb9670c4b2_c.jpg

And round the back.

7580100700_30a9762c90_c.jpg

It was fun to expand the tower area, going to expand it even more in a few months!! There are a few more shots on my flickr stream: Flickr

Oleg,

Dr Rod

Woot! Congrats on your win at Brick Expo Dr. Rod! :classic: I am impressed with how much you've added to this, it looks amazing. I especially like the transition from barren, rocky wasteland to lush forest. The different greys in your walls and landscape work brilliantly too. :thumbup:

If you don't mind me asking, what's next to add to this impressive display? :sweet:

Dr Rod thought it might be a good idea to post some pics of his Nocturnus tower and the surrounding area.

It was shown at Brickexpo in Canberra, Australia over the last weekend and won the "Best Large MOC" award!

Very nice work.

I saw it at the VIP night on Saturday and I think it was a deserving award, it was my favourite display. Which set did you pick as your prize?

The burnt out trees near the lava flow are a nice touch, and love the detailing out the back.

That rockwork is amazing, and I'm surprised that despite it's large size, you still put a lot of detail in every cm.

Very impressive! The landscaping is beautiful especially the rock parts :thumbup: The lava stream is well done too looking forward to your next addition to the scene :classic:

Finally the expansion! :D

It's really stunning and solid!

Also funny to see how at a certain line, the dark area becomes green :laugh:

Woot! Congrats on your win at Brick Expo Dr. Rod! :classic: I am impressed with how much you've added to this, it looks amazing. I especially like the transition from barren, rocky wasteland to lush forest. The different greys in your walls and landscape work brilliantly too. :thumbup:

If you don't mind me asking, what's next to add to this impressive display? :sweet:

Thanks Gabe, there are a few additions planned... both in the forest and behind the tower. Can't give too much away though :) Shouldn't take as long as last time ;)

DrRod

Very nice work.

I saw it at the VIP night on Saturday and I think it was a deserving award, it was my favourite display. Which set did you pick as your prize?

The burnt out trees near the lava flow are a nice touch, and love the detailing out the back.

Thanks Magma, I chose the Dino set with the TRex, maybe he can join the dragon ;) Glad you liked it, I thought it summed up Nocturnus nicely!!

Dr Rod

Finally the expansion! :D

It's really stunning and solid!

Also funny to see how at a certain line, the dark area becomes green :laugh:

Yes, it was a while coming :wink: too much work on... The influence of Nocturnus does have its limits,.. at the moment :devil:

DrRod

Wow, the transition from barren to lush looks great and I love the roof of the building inside :thumbup:

Thanks, the roof technique came from my embassy entry.

6878798277_dab0e86432_z.jpg

DrRod

very nice! I love the additions

Looking forward to some more builds

I noticed at BrickWorld that many castle builders just build massive scale but quite simple (i.e. tall but boring) walls and the like. I like that there is some suttle variation in your build with the two shades of dark gray. I also like the rock work on this one. It looks very nice. Overall, great work!

Indeed very nice! Fun to see that you are expanding your mocs! Love the whole atmosphere in the moc! Well done! Also funny to see that the Dragon Knights often used by us Avalonians can be dark and evil! :classic:

Also funny to see that the Dragon Knights often used by us Avalonians can be dark and evil! :classic:

Yes, Dr Rod took some of the "harder" and more psychotic Dragon Knights with him when he relocated to Nocturnus (his alchemical practices were seen as being somewhat unsavoury by non Nocurnites) :devil:

They distinguish themselves with the red belt and plumes... though it appears there may be one suspicious looking character in there...

Dr Rod

Great build Dr. Rod! Like ZC said, the two shades of grey look great together in this. Somehow I missed your embassy back during that challenge, I loved seeing that as well. That roof technique looks very cool!

Impressive display! I really like the rockwork and that you've used the same colors for the castle. And ofcourse congrats winning an award! :thumbup:

Any plans making it bigger?

I hope you're planning to bring this to BrickVention!

I'm pretty keen to see it up close, and I'm totally jealous of your brick collection. I'm expanding a build at the moment for the Tazzie show.

Impressive display! I really like the rockwork and that you've used the same colors for the castle. And ofcourse congrats winning an award! :thumbup:

Any plans making it bigger?

Dr Rod does not believe in shipping in stone from elsewhere when there is plenty available right there...

It will definitely get bigger... much bigger :oh3: Aiming for around 30-40 base plates in total.

Dr Rod

I hope you're planning to bring this to BrickVention!

I'm pretty keen to see it up close, and I'm totally jealous of your brick collection. I'm expanding a build at the moment for the Tazzie show.

I don't know if I will make BV, hopefully but it depends on a few things.

If I do go I will probably bring this... but bigger :wink:

Dr Rod