Sorviodunum

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 The NEW Derfel Cadarn

The NEW Derfel Cadarn

• Lives in a pumpkin eat pumpkin world.

Member: 5528

Posted 16 January 2012 - 08:13 PM

Sorviodunum, an Avalonian outpost, deep in the Mystic Isles. The tower watches over the main route to Ynys Wydryn - the sacred realm.

Just a quick excuse to have a go at a round tower design built from 1x1 round plates and 1x1 bricks with stud,  which I will be using on my next moc. I wasn't planning on using a pointed roof on my upcoming build, so just added it for the sake of something different. Plus im trying to build up my own area of land in Avalonia, so this is part of Ynys Wydryn.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thanks for viewing, comment and critique allways welcome
Posted Image     Posted Image                                                                          
                                    Lord Of The Dark Isle                 
                                                      My Flickr

#2 ZCerberus

ZCerberus

• -1000 points #Sarcasm

Member: 1043

Posted 16 January 2012 - 08:18 PM

nice.  That technique certialy appears to work well.  Looks like you new favorite part is that Vikings 1 x 4 with the gold dragon on it.  It is a great part!!

Posted Image+Posted Image+Posted Image+Posted Image

See these MOCs and MORE in the Guilds of Historica!

Trian Burress fell in Nocturnus at the battle for Abyssian!

#3 de Gothia

de Gothia

• Wimpy Avalonian

Member: 18035

Posted 16 January 2012 - 08:23 PM

Fantastic DC!!

Love the purple flowers on the tower as well as the wooden battlements!

So the tower is built with only 1x1 round bricks and 1x1 bricks and 1x2 tiles connecting those? Is the tower sturdy? When I build my round towers with 1x1 round brick and 1x2 brick they feel very unstable... But i just love the outcome of it!

The rockwork on the ground is also very clever! Too bad I just had a BL order sent away, otherwise I would have included those aswell!

de Gothia of Avalonia

My Flickr

#4 ZCerberus

ZCerberus

• -1000 points #Sarcasm

Posted 16 January 2012 - 08:37 PM

de Gothia, on 16 January 2012 - 08:23 PM, said:

So the tower is built with only 1x1 round bricks and 1x1 bricks and 1x2 tiles connecting those? Is the tower sturdy? When I build my round towers with 1x1 round brick and 1x2 brick they feel very unstable... But i just love the outcome of it!

Good question.  Did you make an additional reinforcements on the interior?  Or maybe the stability is on the top and the bottom?

#5 The NEW Derfel Cadarn

The NEW Derfel Cadarn

• Lives in a pumpkin eat pumpkin world.

Member: 5528

Posted 16 January 2012 - 08:54 PM

Thanks guys, it is pretty sturdy.  I started off by using those 1x2 hinge plates to make a round circle shape. The diameter is 12 studs, so you can attach a 12 stude plate acroos at any angle. Then each 1x2 section is built up using the combination of 3 round plates then a 1x1 brick with stud, then 3 round plates and then a 1x1 brick with stud etc, and keep going up like that. Obviously you have to alternate it so to the left and right of every 1x1 brick there is 3 round plates, hope you understand what I mean. Once you have got about 10 bricks high, its time to strengthen it, which is done by using 2x12 plates to criss-cross through out the tower. Just remember to use a 2x2 turntable plate to allow for crossing the 2x12 plates at every angle. Doing this pretty much means you can go as high as you want, strengthening it every so often and then attaching the tiles to the studs on the side.  I will probably add this technique over at the guide, as its far easier than it sounds.

Oh, and yes, I picked up 30 of those viking pattern tiles from bricklink over Xmas and they are very handy for adding a bit of fancy engraving on buildings :classic:
Posted Image     Posted Image                                                                          
                                    Lord Of The Dark Isle                 
                                                      My Flickr

#6 ZCerberus

ZCerberus

• -1000 points #Sarcasm

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:11 PM

Derfel Cadarn, on 16 January 2012 - 08:54 PM, said:

Thanks guys, it is pretty sturdy.  I started off by using those 1x2 hinge plates to make a round circle shape. The diameter is 12 studs, so you can attach a 12 stude plate acroos at any angle. Then each 1x2 section is built up using the combination of 3 round plates then a 1x1 brick with stud, then 3 round plates and then a 1x1 brick with stud etc, and keep going up like that. Obviously you have to alternate it so to the left and right of every 1x1 brick there is 3 round plates, hope you understand what I mean. Once you have got about 10 bricks high, its time to strengthen it, which is done by using 2x12 plates to criss-cross through out the tower. Just remember to use a 2x2 turntable plate to allow for crossing the 2x12 plates at every angle. Doing this pretty much means you can go as high as you want, strengthening it every so often and then attaching the tiles to the studs on the side.

So you did both, the 1 x 2 hinges and the interior plates.  That would be pretty dang sturdy.  Makes perfect sense to me!

#7 MikeyB

MikeyB

• Closet Nocturnus Fan

Member: 4147

Posted 16 January 2012 - 10:33 PM

everytime I look at one of your builds I am in awe.  they just seem so realistic.  

and thanks for the insight on how you built it.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Lord Arlindus, Captain of Circardia and the Phoenix Guard, Avalonia Guildsman

#8 rogueang

rogueang

• Late to the party

Member: 4711

Posted 17 January 2012 - 12:17 AM

Amazing as usual.  I love everything about it.  I like the new border (maybe I haven't noticed it before) you've been using on the bottom of your MOCs. You and Z always have professional looking borders on your MOC that just make them pop.  I'm going to have to come up with my own.  

Whenever I create oddly shaped structures, I build them first without any inner workings to see how it looks, then I take it apart and rebuild it as almost a completely solid structure.  The inner support is integral for my embassy.

Edited by rogueang, 17 January 2012 - 12:17 AM.

Lord Varis of the Rustling Leaves Clan within the Enchanted Forest of Avalonia

Posted Image          Posted Image          Posted Image Posted Image                                                                                                            

#9 Captain BeerBeard

Captain BeerBeard

• Ringleader

Member: 18031

Posted 17 January 2012 - 12:40 AM

That is awesome! It has a great fantasy feel to it. The tower reminds of the movie "Tangled". Are you going to do a guide explaining how you built this bueaty?
Nocturnus Scoundrel

#10 Kayne

Kayne

Member: 23719

Posted 17 January 2012 - 06:00 AM

Another beautiful build!  That technique is very cool, I like how it uses the typical round wall technique with your own 1x1 round plate style.

MoonLord Kha-Lord of Ras-El-Ahken-Kaliphlin
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

My MOCpages My Flickr http://www.bricklink...p=darkenrahl_17 Kayne is able(Bricklink)

#11 Legonardo

Legonardo

• Pirate Collaborator

Member: 22773

Posted 17 January 2012 - 11:25 AM

Another epic build for mighty Avalonia  :sweet:

#12 hellboy

hellboy

Member: 22884

Posted 17 January 2012 - 04:21 PM

Great work. Your Mocs are always so beautiful and with so many details. The tower looks so brilliant.
I have one appeal, please show my/us how to build this round tower. This would be great, if you list this to "Detailed guide to building"
Sorry for my bad english

"Hellboy - The Warlord" for Avalonia

#13 Big Cam

Big Cam

• A good mood, too.

Member: 5701

Posted 17 January 2012 - 04:47 PM

Wow, you're in a league of your own when it comes to MOC'ing. I love the 2 x1 tiles afol around the tower, it gives it that brick look.

Very impressive.

#14 NiceMarmot

NiceMarmot

• Constellation Encyclopedia

Member: 14945

Posted 18 January 2012 - 12:28 AM

Phenomenal and very innovative! Even more innovative techniques. I think DC must spend all day figuring out how to build cool things. I really appreciate you showing us all these methods. (I just need to get the right parts to build in this style...)

I suppose the vines with purple flowers are wisteria (or maybe bougainvillea, but I don't think Avalonia is that warm).   And the base / fence at the bottom is a great look! Another interesting technique to file away somewhere. Are those brown 2x2 turntable bases? Where did you find those? They're not even on BrickLink in any form of brown.
Tafik Regex Marmota, Kaliphlin Guild, Master Cartographer

#15 Hersbrucker

Hersbrucker

• WIP it good

Member: 22070

Posted 18 January 2012 - 02:01 AM

Can you please stop building from such fantastic MOC's  :devil:

You give no time to decide which of your buildings are better now :tongue:

Posted Image

“Strive for perfection in everything you do. Take the best that exists and make it better. When it does not exist, design it.” Henry Royce †

My BL Shop______My MOCpages

#16 Fredulus

Fredulus

Member: 24413

Posted 18 January 2012 - 02:05 AM

Always love your MOCs! You have amazing attention to detail, even the base is very good-looking. :wub:

#17 Niku

Niku

• Wants two initials

Member: 14912

Posted 18 January 2012 - 02:13 AM

Round towers are a weakness to me, and this one is totally beautiful the attention to detail is magnificent and the feeling of mystique is great on those purple flowers, can´t wait to see more constructions for the isles.   :wub:

Posted Image

Spoiler

#18 Sirens-of-Titan

Sirens-of-Titan

• Future tiler

Member: 4341

Posted 18 January 2012 - 02:18 PM

Beautiful technique Derfel! It's remarkably effective and authentic to your style.  :thumbup:  I'd love to see a small fortress built this way.  :sweet:
"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape."
— Terry Pratchett

My MOC Pages
My Flickr

#19 Gunman

Gunman

Member: 10309

Posted 23 January 2012 - 12:22 PM

excellent as always.... omg at your building skills once again :)

Giorgos proud member of Mitgardia - Economic titan

<3 Tarja Turunen for life

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

My flickR

#20 horizon

horizon

Member: 14253

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:54 AM

Great work.

Would be cool to see a step by step guide on how you created that tower. If only the basics are shown.

#21 Legonardo

Legonardo

• Pirate Collaborator

Member: 22773

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:22 AM

I'm not the guy to tell people off but please try not to bump up old topics, even ones this good :laugh:

#22 mephistopheles

mephistopheles

Member: 24623

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:17 AM

horizon, on 04 May 2012 - 08:54 AM, said:

Great work.

Would be cool to see a step by step guide on how you created that tower. If only the basics are shown.

He has done that already:

My link
My MOC Page and My Flickr
All hail Avalonia!
Lord of Woodward, Champion of Avalonia, Lord High Executioner, Prince of the Forest, Siege Expert
Woodward on Wikipedia

#23 ZCerberus

ZCerberus

• -1000 points #Sarcasm

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:52 PM

Legonardo Davidy, on 04 May 2012 - 09:22 AM, said:

I'm not the guy to tell people off but please try not to bump up old topics, even ones this good :laugh:

LD is right- try not to bump something that hasn't had a post in a few months unless there is something new to discuss with it.  I believe this was recently posted on the Brickworld site as an example of an excellent "tower" build for a collaborative build they are encouraging.  I agree, a great tower to include as an example by DC!

#24 horizon

horizon

Member: 14253

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:55 PM

@ mephistoteles, argh, I looked there and missed the last bit. Thanx.

As for bumping: sorry. But to my humble defence:
1) usual a forum warns if a thread is 'dated', eg older then 90days. So I did not pay attention to the date at all.
2) I rather bump an old topic (aka "ARISE DEATH THREAD!") then create a new one telling the same which has been told before. That's why forums have a search forum, right?

:)

#25 mephistopheles

mephistopheles

Member: 24623

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:40 PM

horizon, on 04 May 2012 - 06:55 PM, said:

@ mephistoteles, argh, I looked there and missed the last bit. Thanx.

You are very welcome!
My MOC Page and My Flickr
All hail Avalonia!
Lord of Woodward, Champion of Avalonia, Lord High Executioner, Prince of the Forest, Siege Expert
Woodward on Wikipedia

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users