Sign in to follow this  
simonwillems

Imperial Tower

Hey guys, how do you like my newly build tower?

It is the first building I have ever made that hinches open to reveal the inside.

There are staircases to every floor, even to the basement. It's a pitty to see how white legos yellow when you own them a few decades, but maybe it adds to the ancient look of the building...

enjoy,

(Pictures are links)

p1213918.jpg_thumb.jpg

p1213932.jpg_thumb.jpg

More (bigger) pictures in my Brickshelf Folder

Your new tower looks very good indeed but may I recommend that you resize one or two of the images down to 800x600 pixels so you can post them at the top of the thread?

As for thumbnails...

FireFox

Right click on the thumbnail in the Brickshelf folder and select "Copy Image Location"

Internet Explorer 6

Right click on the thumbnail in the Brickshelf folder and select "Properties"

From the Address: (URL) highlight the entire link and then copy (CTRL C or Right Click then select "Copy").

E.g. Highlight http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/SimonWillems/Tower/thumb/p1213918.jpg_thumb.jpg

Return to Eurobricks

Select the image button image.gif then paste (CTRL V or right click and "Paste") the Brickshelf URL into the box that pops up.

Now return to Brickshelf

Click on the thumbnail to load into Brickshelf Preview. Then click on it again to go directly to the file. Highlight the image address in the Address Bar then copy (CTRL C or Right Click then select "Copy").

Return to Eurobricks

Highlight the image code you have just inserted and now click the "Insert Link" button hyperlink.gif then paste in the link you just copied.

The URL should wrap around the IMG.

Remember to let other users know that the thumbnail is a link otherwise they may overlook it.

It is very nice. It looks very, very good. However, I think this should be in the MOC forum.

You're absolutely right Imperial Scouts! I overlooked that fact, probably because I just clicked on the "Last Post" link while browsing the Board Index.

You're absolutely right Imperial Scouts! I overlooked that fact, probably because I just clicked on the "Last Post" link while browsing the Board Index.

Yes, it does need a moving. I do like the tower, very nicely done! I like the design over all, and some nice detailing like the bookcase, torches and exterior doors *y* *y*

A note about the staircases. Staircase wise, there look like they would be made out of stone in a real building, since it looks like you used 2x4 bricks, which is just fine for a large tower such as this, but I have found you can make some pretty nice staircases using inverted 2x2 slopes and 1x4 plates. They look a lot like the Lego staircases without having to buy actual Lego ones! Just a note since you seemed excited that you had made an avenue to actually reach every floor!

Wow, Freud would be proud to see your construction :-D

Very nice imperial tower! I love the interior design of the tower.

Yellowing is indeed a serious problem. I also have a lot of white bricks (and grey castle elements) that have yellowed. However, for white bricks there seems to be a solution (to make them white again). There was a thread on that subject some time ago.

Yes, it does need a moving.

I'll move it after Mr Willems reads the thread so he knows what's going on, that way he won't be confused when he can't find the thread.

That's a great tower! I love the interior, the windows turn out very good. It looks like you have a good eye for detail.

Very nice! The staunch squareness gives this a brilliant 'fortified' air and the MOC itself is impressive in scale. I like it a lot!

God Bless,

Nathan

Thanks for all the compliments!

As for the position in the forum: I thought I had put this in the MOC-pirates forum, apparently not, can somebody move it for me?

When I have some more time I will make a clickable thumbnail with link, thanks for the explanation Mr. Phes.

I intended to make the staircase "stone like", but your idea mr. ZCerberus is also very nice, it looks like the stairs in sets 6399 monorail, very sleek looking.

However I don't have that many sloped bricks in white...

Interesting thing while making the staircases was the amount of space needed for them inside the building, I never realised that since I never made so much stairs before...

When I have some more time I will make a clickable thumbnail with link, thanks for the explanation Mr. Phes.

And I also recommend you size down one or two of your images so you can post them at the top of thread...

What I do is have one large image then clickable 3-4 thumbnails underneath.

p1213918.jpg_thumb.jpg

very nice Moc Simonwillems. does it have a name or just imperial tower? like the style and the size. maybe i have to come with my army and steal it away for my own legoworld :-D . one question however. the yellow bricks you have used, ( to avoid the big grey wall syndrome) did you have a plan of where you put them or did you just put one here and one there ? i have a black fortress and im starting to think that it could benefit from some color.

but aGREAT moc this:) really liked it :)

I intended to make the staircase "stone like", but your idea mr. ZCerberus is also very nice, it looks like the stairs in sets 6399 monorail, very sleek looking.

However I don't have that many sloped bricks in white...

Well they need not be white of course! here is an example with black and dark gray from a ship... all black is a little hard to pic the detail out on, but this should give you an idea...

arbiter24.jpg

Technically speaking it would take the same amount of space, but being open underneath would give you an opportunity to put things UNDER the staircases as well! I see you used sloped like idea when you had to go over the windows for example, and this alternate build method might work well for something like that too!

Anyhow, I like the MOC, and I really like the picture you snapped of the tower being opened. Here is the shot I speak of, I would post the pictures, but they are a bit large... Link

very nice Moc Simonwillems. does it have a name or just imperial tower? like the style and the size. maybe i have to come with my army and steal it away for my own legoworld :-D . one question however. the yellow bricks you have used, ( to avoid the big grey wall syndrome) did you have a plan of where you put them or did you just put one here and one there ? i have a black fortress and im starting to think that it could benefit from some color.

but aGREAT moc this:) really liked it :)

I don't really have a name for this, so I just called it Imperial Tower, if you want to come over with your army I'll be ready for you with all three (!) cannons and a small army of troops >8-)

There was no particular plan considering the yellow bricks, I just made sure that there were no spots where I put two 1X2 bricks directly on top of each other.

For a black fortress like you wrote, I should use some grey and perhaps green bricks myself, not yellow ones

I like your ship mr. ZCerberus! And those stairs look good on it indeed!

I like your ship mr. ZCerberus! And those stairs look good on it indeed!

Thanks, but this thread is really about YOUR tower! I also have some black stairs in an actual harbor/fort as well, but I didn't show them because they are all black and just kind of look like a blob! it doesn't sound like you are terribly interested in changing the tower stairs however, which is perfectly fine, just thought you'd like to know!

You sure do have many a MOC in your BS folder, just keep the pirate ones coming!

Hi again mr simonwillems. did you have a plan when you buildt your tower? or did you model it as you buildt? its just so D***m good. i was begging my lego army to take it from you but they said it was to good to be taken *sweet* is this a single moc or have you plans of more imperial soldiers mocs to be joined with this?

Thank you! :-$

I just started out with throwing together all my blue baseplates There were not enough to cover the complete square shape so I put in one green half-one, underneath the little piece of land.

This project took me all my white bricks (at least those 1-studs-wide ones) if I want to build another imperial building this one has to come down first...

So that way it wil remain a lonely (but big) outpost.

It's a pitty to see how white legos yellow when you own them a few decades, but maybe it adds to the ancient look of the building...

I think it does add a weathered, authentic and ancient look to the building, that's not bad at all, I actually like it!

Man, I'd love to see this on some kind of event... Mr Willems, have you ever been to LEGOWORLD Zwolle?

Man, I'd love to see this on some kind of event... Mr Willems, have you ever been to LEGOWORLD Zwolle?

I never missed a single Legoworld, I have been there since it started, but always as a visitor/spectator buying lego to extend my ever growing collection and gathering ideas.

I love the event!

I never missed a single Legoworld, I have been there since it started, but always as a visitor/spectator buying lego to extend my ever growing collection and gathering ideas.

I love the event!

I have been there twice, maybe I'll go again this year.I haven't seen a special pirate layout after the first time I was there...

p1213932.jpg_thumb.jpg

I really like how this MOC opens up down the middle providing access to the interior. It makes things so much more accessible that just having a normal tower.

Mr Willems, was the "opening capability" part of your original plan or was it something you incorporated later?

The opening capability was indeed incorporated in the plan, it was a real pain in the neck during the construction I must say to not put on a really well fitting brick (especially longer bricks) and seal of the opening by building the two halves together by accident.....

The design is not very sturdy, as the entire opening capability consists of only one hinge, but the accessability is superb.

You ever consider adding a few more hinges?

Oh yes, but when you look closely at the point where the hinge is positioned right now in this picture

p1213932.jpg_thumb.jpg

you will see that there is only one hinge possible.

I made it underneath the rock-piece, another one could have been placed on top of the same piece, but on the other side is a grey arch....

I'm planning to do some more experimenting with hinged buildings in the future, eventually I will get the hang of it.