Sandy

Heroica RPG - Quest #44: My Best Friend

"Thank you for the ice bomb", after that Alexander is ready to go and look for clues about the fate of the two fellow heroes.

Nerwen allowed Hybros to take the gigantic Pheles Rod. As the imp touched it, it decreased in size so he was just able to carry it. Then an all-too-familiar voice boomed inside Hybros' mind.

"SO YOU CHOOSE ME, LITTLE IM. YOU AND I WILL GET ALONG JUST FINE, I THINK."

Hybros looked around to see if anyone else heard the voice, but nobody even looked his way. He turned back to the Pheles Rod, and felt the cold satisfaction oozing from it.

When the loot of the battle was distributed, the party decided to take a look inside the ominous temple. The black ruined building looked repelling, but also mysteriously alluring at least to those of them who were connected with their darker side. As the party started to climb up the cracked stairs, whispers filled their ears, and the double doors creaked ajar.

heroicaquest44-darktemple9.jpg

"Come in..."

"Come in..."

"Come in..."

And in they went, through the jagged doorway. The interior was obviously designed with a chaotic eye, with twisted archs extending everywhere, staircases leading to nothingness, and small windows at different altitudes. The whispers grew louder.

heroicaquest44-darktemple10.jpg

"Find me..."

"Find me..."

"Find me..."

heroicanpc-skuld.jpg

"Everyone, look! It's that book over there that's whispering!"

Sküld pointed at a dusty old tome with black covers that laid on a stone tablet.

heroicaquest44-darktemple11.jpg

"At your service..."

"At your service..."

"At your service..."

heroicanpc-shaun.jpg

"Sttaaaeh awaaaeh! Baaaddh boookkh!"

What will the party do with the book? And how deep into the temple do they dare to venture in search of their friends?

Party:

heroica_1.jpg

Alexander Vandangant (Wedge09)

99 years old elven Ranger

Level 3

Power
: 6
(3+3)

Health
: 8/8
(6+2)

Gold
: 8

Equipment
: Bow (WP: 3)

Inventory
: Spider Leg (WP:8, doubled against flying enemies; spear), Amethyst (
Darkness
), 2 Potions, Venom, Smoke Bomb,
2 Ice Bombs,
Dirt Bomb

assassin_benji.jpg

Benj
i Carvenhall (Flare)

27 years old male half-elven Assassin

Level 22
*Counterstrike*
*Encouraged*
*Hastened*
*Lucky*

Power:
(22+13)

Defense:

Health:
33/33
(6+21+5+1)

Gold:

Equipment:
Demonic Scissors (WP:13,
fire
-elemental, damages two enemies in one turn; daggers)
Tricorne (SP:3), Counterstrike Gloves (After the wearer is struck by a Free Hit they counter with strength equal to their level; handwear)

Inventory:
Crossbow of the Pongcanis (WP: 13;
darkness
ice
light
-elemental)
Horned Hat (SP +1, Power +1, suitable for barbarians and beast warriors; headwear), 7 Grand Potions, Health Core, Remedy, Phoenix Essence, 3 Meads, Nostrum, 2 Venoms, 2 Smoke Bombs, Lightning Bomb, Pickaxe, Bedroll, Shovel, 3 Bones

019.JPG

Sir Christopher Daggerfall (Fred Fred Burger)

27 years old male human Knight

Level 15
*Immune to Weakened, Bound and Slowed*

Power:
(15+11+2+1)

Defense:

Health:
24/24
(10+14)

Gold:

Equipment:
Graive (WP:11, inflicts weakened-effect; halberd)
, Mockthril Shield (SP:4), Pugilist's Gloves (Power +2, protects from weakened-effect), Winged Sandals (Protects from bound- and slowed-effects)

Inventory:
Great Sword (WP:8),
Tricorne (SP:3), Paladin's Armor (unsuitable), 3 Potions, Grand Potion, Health Core, Remedy, Mead, 2 Rums, 2 Smoke Bombs, 2 Fire Bombs, Bedroll, Shovel, Pickaxe

7799445022_26c70f4173_o.jpg

Cinna the Dark (darkdragon)

19 years Female Human Mystic Knight

Level 21
*Immune to
Fire

Power:
(21+15+1+1)

Defense:
(2+1)

Health:
33/33
(5+20+7+1)

Ether:
1/27
(5+20+1+1)

Gold:

Equipment:
Mauryl (WP:15, ranged), Aurora Helmet (SP:2, immune to
fire
), High Heels (Power +1, suitable for women; footwear), Anniversary Medal:Y1 (+1 to all stats per year; accessory)

Inventory:
Healing Staff (WP:5),
Pointy Hat (Max. Ether +2, suitable for mages and clerics; headwear)
, Amethyst (
Darkness
), Topaz (
Lightning
), Opal (
Ice
), Ruby (
Fire
), Scroll of Sleep, 6 Grand Potions, 6 Remedies, Elixir, Phoenix Essence, 4 Meads, 3 Smelling Salts, Soma, 2 Deadly Venoms, Fire Bomb, Bedroll, 3 Bones, Remains of Sycamore Ziegfried (quest item)

De%27kra_and_Kapura.png

De'kra (Tanma)

11 year old "male" "echo" Assassin

Level 19
*Immune to Enamored and Confused*

Power:
(19+7)

Defense:

Health:
30/30
(7+18+5)

Gold:

Equipment:
Kapura (WP:7,
fire
-elemental), Cloak of the Blue Assassin (SP: 1), Heart Locket (Protects from enamored effect and confused effect)

Inventory:
Chiara (WP:7,
lightning
-elemental), Fauxthril Hand Cannon (WP:7), Cloak of the Elven Spy, 7 Potions, 3 Grand Potions, 3 Remedies, 3 Phoenix Essences, 2 Smoke Bombs, Dirt Bomb, Ice Bomb, Bedroll, Pickaxe, Shovel, Magnifying Glass

av-28776.jpg

Dreyrugr (Vash the Stampede)

1000 year old male vampire Rogue

Level 6
*Immune to Sudden Death*

Power:
11 (6+5)

Health:
12/12 (7+5)

Gold:

Equipment:
Shadeaux Dagger (WP:5),
Cobweb Cowl (Grants immunity to sudden death; backwear)

Inventory:
Longsword (WP:3), Remedy, Venom, Smoke Bomb, Bedroll

IMG_2373.JPG

Erik Tyrvarr (Myrddyn)

18 years old male human Barbarian

Level 12½
*Restoration*
*Immune to
Water

Power:
(12+11)

Defense:

Health:
19/19
(8+11)

Gold:

Equipment:
Titanic Axe (WP:11,
earth
-elemental, has 1/6 chances of inflicting petrified-effect; axe),
Barbarian's Boots (Natural Respite>Restoration; footwear), Sharkskin Armor (SP +1, immune to
water
; bodywear)

Inventory:
Voltedge (WP: 13,
lightning
-elemental; greatsword/longsword)
, Spear (WP: 9), Potion, Holy Bomb, 2 Death Progg Claws, 4 Bones

7441682730_7e226292c6_t.jpg

Guts Holla (Scubacarrot)

42 year old male human Raider

Level 21 1/3
*Natural Respite*
*Dance*

Power:
(21+14)
(30 for ranged attacks
(21+9)
)

Health:
34/34
(7+20+7)

Gold:

Equipment:
Fafnir (WP:14,
ice
- and
darkness
-elemental; greatsword), Dancing Shoes (In the turn after a "4" is rolled, the wearer can act twice)

Inventory:
Lifestealer (WP:14,
ice
-elemental, attacks restore 3 health; dagger), Throwing Knife (WP:9, ranged, retrievable,
light
-elemental), 4 Grand Potions, 1 Grand Tonic, 1 Elixir, 6 Remedies, 3 Phoenix Essences, 2 Meads, Nostrum, Smelling Salts, Shovel, Telescope, Bedroll, 3 Mythril Shards (3/4 of a Mythril)

7173335030_b2b9e10fb7_z.jpg

Hybros (JimButcher)

50-year-old male imp Assassin

Level 21 2/3
*Hastened*
*Immune to Cursed*

Power:
(21+15)

Defense:

Health:
33/33
(7+20+5+1)

Gold:

Equipment:
Zoot's Reaper (WP:15,
earth
-elemental), Golden Armor (user is permanently hastened and cursed; bodywear), Blessed Amulet (protects from cursed-effect; accessory)

Inventory:
Pheles Rod (WP:20; grants permanent Aura, doubling the user’s max. health but making all enemy attacks hit the user; staff),
Clock Cog (WP: 14, retrievable), Shuriken of Mercutio (WP:5, retrievable), Throwing Knife (WP:8, retrievable), Throwing Knife (WP:8, retrievable), Banana Bladerang (WP:9, damage all, retrievable), Ancient Throwing Dagger (WP: 8, retrievable), Emerald (
Wood
), 10 Potions, 10 Grand Potions, 5 Remedies, 3 Phoenix Essences, 2 Deadly Venoms, 2 Smoke Bombs, 3 Holy Bombs, 2 Nostrums, 2 Meads, Smelling Salts, Bedroll, Shovel, Skeleton Decoy, Bone

gc5570571444584664818.jpg?width=80&height=75&aspect=fitwithin&padcolor=ffffff&size=thumb

Mizuki Kimura (zakura)

21 years old female human Rogue

Level 12 ½

Power:
(12+10)

Health:
18/18
(7 + 11)

Gold:

Equipment:
Dagger (WP:10)

Inventory:
Sylph Shuriken (WP:12,
wind
- and
light
-elemental; throwing weapon), Potion, Grand Potion, Remedy, Phoenix Essence, 2 Venoms, Deadly Venom, Mead, Nostrum, Smoke Bomb, 2 Holy Bombs, Bedroll, Shovel, Pickaxe, Telescope, Magic Compass, Magnifying Glass, Cannonball, Death Progg Claw

namyrra_training_hall_avatar.jpg

Namyrra Uq (Quarryman)
***Party Leader***

1337 years old female Fenarian Evoker

Level 22
*Immune to Sealing*

Power
: 34 (22+12)

Defence
: 8 (5+3)

Health
: 29/29 (5+21+3)

Ether
: 29/33 (5+21+1+1+5)

Gold
: 44

Equipment
: Snake Staff (WP:12), Fanged Helm (SP:5, headwear), Robe of the Archmagi (SP:3, Max. Ether +5, immune to Sealing, bodywear)

Inventory
:
Staff of the Necromancer (WP:12; damages undead; +1 level to raised undead; staff),
Bone Staff (WP:3), Amethyst, Opal, Emerald, Topaz, Garnet, Diamond, Ruby, Sapphire, Scroll of Blindness, Scroll of Sealing, 4 Potions, Tonic, 2 Grand Tonics, 2 Phoenix Essence, Phoenix Incense, 4 Meads, 2 Smelling Salts, 3 Nostrums, Venom, 2 Smoke Bombs, Holy Bomb, Flash Bomb, Bedroll, 3 bones

Spirits
: Battle Angel (Light), Xut the Daemon (Darkness), Raiju the Raiju (Lightning), Ni the Shrubbery (Wood), Mark the Ice Cube Tray (Ice), Clay Golem (Earth), unknown (Fire), unknown (Wind)

ava-nerwen.jpg

Nerwen Calmcacil (played by Chromeknight) ***Acting Party Leader***

261 year old female elven Cleric

Level 14
*Immune to
Wind

Power:
(14+9)

Defense:

Health:
25/25
(9+13+3)

Ether:
14/18
(5+13)

Gold:

Equipment:
Mourning Star (WP:9, inflicts fragile-effect; mace)
White Cloak (+3 Max health; backwear), Winged Circlet (SP:2, Immune to
Wind
; headwear)

Inventory:
Staff (WP:6,
wood
-elemental),
Hammer (WP: 6), Torch Staff (WP:5,
fire
-elemental; staff), 2 Potions, 3 Elixirs, 4 Remedies, Phoenix Essence, Phoenix Incense, Venom, 2 Ice Bombs, Shovel, Bedroll, Bone

HeroicaRaven-1.png

Raven Ashcroft (Raven Brickroft)

18 years old male human Rogue

Level 3

Power:
(3+6)

Health:
9/9
(7+2)

Gold:

Equipment:
Hollow Dagger (WP: 6, hollow)

Inventory:
Main Gauche (WP: 3), Wrench (WP:3, target’s level -1, throwing weapon), Potion, Elixir, Water Bomb, Lightning Bomb, Venom, Deadly Venom

headressnaga.jpg

Sarick Lanse (Xarrzan)

27 years old male naga Mage

Level 13½

Power:
(13+6+1)

Defense:

Health:
18/18
(5+12+1)

Ether:
11/18
(5+12+1)

Gold:

Equipment:
Dragon's Wrath (WP:6), Gaudy Cloak (Max. Health +1, Max. Ether +1; bodywear)

Inventory:
Healing Staff (WP:5, healing effect), Dragon's Heart (WP: 15,
wind
- and
fire
-elemental, longsword),
Lichen Armour (The wearer’s ether is counted as additional health if health is depleted; suitable to classes with ether; bodywear),
Opal (
Ice
), Topaz (
Lightning
), Sapphire (
Wind
), Tonic, Nostrum, Venom, Water Bomb, Lightning Bomb, Bomb XX, Bedroll, Bone, Mythril Shard (1/4 of a Mythril)

Thalion Dwinlas (-obelix-)

213 years old male elf Mage

Level 5

Power:
(5+10)

Defense: 1

Health:
9/9
(5+4)

Ether:
5/9
(5+4)

Gold:

Equipment:
Shiny Dagger (WP:10), Leather Cap (SP:1, headwear)

Inventory:
Dagger (WP:3), Ruby (
Fire
), Opal (
Ice
) 2 Potions, Fire Bomb, Bedroll

ava-thothwick2.jpg

Thothwick (Professor Flitwick)

44 years old Metasimian Black Knight

Level 20
*Damage Undead*
*Immune to Stunned and
Darkness

Power
: 30
(20+10)
(27 for ranged attacks
(20+8)
)

Defence
: 10

Health
: 35/35
(7+19+9)

Gold
: 200

Equipment
: Sabre (WP:10),
Skull Shield (SP:6; immunity to darkness-elemental damage; suitable to Black Knights only),
Cultist's Hat (regular attacks do damage to undead), Black Knight's Armour (SP:4, protects from stunned-effect, suitable to Black Knights only)

Inventory
: Shuriken (WP:8), Bedroll, Telescope

harkenshire_sig.jpg

William Harkenshire (VolcanicPanik)

Unknown years old male human Ranger

Level 15½ *Hastened*

Power:
20 (15+5) (21 from the front row (15+5+1))

Health:
13/20 (6+14)

Gold:

Equipment:
Repeating Crossbow (WP:5, unupgradeable; fire-elemental, permanent hastened), Amulet of the Elven Horse Rider (Power +1 on the front row, doubles movement)

Inventory:
Hand Cannon (WP: 5; lightning- and wood-elemental), Wave Sword (WP:11, inflicts cursed-effect), Croise Crossbow (WP:11), Lion Knight Shield (SP:4, unsuitable), Pauldrons (SP +2, suitable to knights, dragoons and skirmishers; accessory), Chimera Armor (+2 SP, +2 Health, unsuitable; bodywear), Sapphire (Wind), Remedy, Venom, Mead, Smelling Salts, 2 Smoke Bombs, Fire Bomb, Water Bomb, Elven Bomb, Bomb XX, Bedroll, Magnifying Glass, Shovel, Pickaxe, Skeleton Decoy

heroicanpc-skuld.jpg

Sküld (NPC, controlled by darkdragon)

7 years old female nôrn Altar Girl

Level 7

Power:
(7+2)

Health:
8/8
(2+6)

Ether:
6/16
(10+6)

Gold:

Equipment:
Silk Fan (WP:2,
wind
-elemental, fan)

Inventory:
Scroll of Sealing

After seeing the book and hearing Shaun, Alaxander says: "I think that this is a book of dark arts, therefore it will be a good idea if someone of the most skillfull in magic heroes take a look to it. Could it give us some clues."

"OK well if Guts gets stolen away somewhere by this book then I for one am not going to stick around to find him as well... this place even gives me the creeps..." Benji moans as he shudders from the damp and demonic atmosphere.

Thothwick extended his arm in an attempt to instil some restraint into Guts, but receded his arm back to his side. Thothwick could recall how Guts had rejected the cautionary warning back in the basement, and had also not failed to notice the racial epithet hurled at him during the battle, and had decided that Guts didn't warrant a second warning.

Edited by Professor Flitwick

Guts picks up the book.

Guts opens the heavy book, but does not understand any of the symbols written on it. He can only discern that they're elvish. He does understand the macabre pictures littered in some pages all too well, though. The images were clearly drawn by wicked hands.

"I sense darkness in your soul. Delicious..."

Meanwhile, Mephisto talks to Hybros telepathically through the Pheles Rod.

"HOW AMUSING TO SEE YOU MORTALS SCRAMBLING SO. DO YOU REALLY CARE ABOUT THE FENARIAN AND THE RANGER THAT MUCH? HOW FAR ARE YOU WILLING TO GO TO GET THEM BACK?"

"Hmm. Elvish. And it talks. I say we burn it."

With that, Guts takes a match out of his coat, strikes it against the wall, and attempts to light the book on fire.

Completely missing the giant torch right next to it. :snicker:

Guts throws the book into the brazier.

Edited by Scubacarrot

Before Guts threw the book, Thalion yelled: "STOP! Before you throw it, maybe Nerwen, Alexander or myself can read it..."

The grimoire is wrapped by the flames in the brazier, but the fire does not do any damage to it.

"The eternal flames of Chaos cannot burn me..."

"The book is obviously trouble. Who knows? By reading it you might accidentally cast a spell. Or something. We'll see what the fire does to it."

Guts carefully pokes it out with his sword. and when he's sure it's cooled off, he picks it up again.

"Hm, seems useful, I can use it to shield myself from fireballs those pesky mages have a tendency of throwing at me."

QM Note: Chromeknight, even though you only suggested it, it's not your job to ask other players to give up the items or gold they earned just so they can get a better item. If someone wants to give an item to another player, that's between the two of them. Life in Heroica isn't always fair, you know? :tongue:

OOC: Indeed, I did volunteer to trade some things for the Rod. :thumbup:

JimBee suggested it in PM, I didn't prompt him. But perhaps he understands my thinking and knows how to appeal to me to get what he wants.

:tongue:

Nerwen allowed Hybros to take the gigantic Pheles Rod. As the imp touched it, it decreased in size so he was just able to carry it. Then an all-too-familiar voice boomed inside Hybros' mind.

"SO YOU CHOOSE ME, LITTLE IMP. YOU AND I WILL GET ALONG JUST FINE, I THINK."

Hybros looked around to see if anyone else heard the voice, but nobody even looked his way. He turned back to the Pheles Rod, and felt the cold satisfaction oozing from it.

Mephisto's voice echoed in his head. Strange, Hybros seemed to have a high affinity for weapons possessed by demons. He took out Zoot's Reaper again, which still had the eerie aura it had when he first formed the Plaything into a scythe. It had whispered to him before, even on this very quest. "Perhaps it has driven me here all along..." he whispered to himself, shuddering. He held the Pheles Rod and Zoot's Reaper close together. The indiscernible whispering that came from the Reaper began again, becoming louder than before. "Yessssssss......" it hissed. Hybros' eyes widened. Suddenly the Pheles Rod began to shake, and steam started to emit from it. Mephisto's voice was yelling, faintly at first, but slowly becoming louder, closer. Hybros' hand started to burn, not from heat, but from sheer cold. The combined whispers and shouts from both weapons filled his ears. The pain became almost unbearable, and he screamed out, but he could not let go. He fell to his knees, and tossed Zoot's Reaper away from him. Only then was he able to drop the Pheles Rod, and the pain suddenly ceased. All was quiet, and the Rod lay innocently on the ground. Picking it up carefully, Hybros listened.

Meanwhile, Mephisto talks to Hybros telepathically through the Pheles Rod.

"HOW AMUSING TO SEE YOU MORTALS SCRAMBLING SO. DO YOU REALLY CARE ABOUT THE FENARIAN AND THE RANGER THAT MUCH? HOW FAR ARE YOU WILLING TO GO TO GET THEM BACK?"

The archdemon seemed unaware of what had just happened. He answered, weakly, in his head. "They had fought alongside of us, and deserve the same. I have defeated you once, demon, and I shall do it again if it means saving those that you consumed...."

Hybros then walked over to scythe, which was also resting peacefully on the ground. It seemed that whatever happened was over, and any demon spirits inside were dormant. Still, the imp cautiously picked up the weapon with his cloak wrapped around his hands. Nothing seemed to happen, but he carefully sheathed it and strapped it to his back. With a drained look, he returned his attention to his fellow heroes. "We must... move on..."

Guts picks up the book.

Guts opens the heavy book, but does not understand any of the symbols written on it. He can only discern that they're elvish. He does understand the macabre pictures littered in some pages all too well, though. The images were clearly drawn by wicked hands.

"Hmm. Elvish. And it talks. I say we burn it."

Before Guts threw the book, Thalion yelled: "STOP! Before you throw it, maybe Nerwen, Alexander or myself can read it..."

The grimoire is wrapped by the flames in the brazier, but the fire does not do any damage to it.

Seeing Guts grab the book and then toss it into the fire, Nerwen yells

CAM'WETHRIN! UTINU EN LOKRIM! DOLLE NAA LOST!

Drawing breath and calming slightly she continued in a sharp tone, different to her usual calm manner of speaking

Empty headed thief! Always touching, taking, stealing. No thinking about what something is. And then when it is not shiny, throwing it away. Greedy handed human! You grab at things and when you do not understand them you are like a petulant child, weak, vain, useless!

Understand this. Raising the dead, ripping them from rest, twisting nature, that is evil. Demons, demons just... are. Like light and dark. Like fire and water. They are part of the balance of the world. And like all living things, free to choose their actions. The evil that comes from the demonic is found is those that seek it's power for their own ends, not in the demonic itself. Light is not always good, darkness is not always bad. But like all power not to be trifled with.

But you, you know nothing of this. You seek only loot and have no care for where you are or who hallows this place. Picking up that book without preparation will mark you, and that mark will be seen by those that would use you like a tool, like a cup to be drunk from and tossed away empty. You have no understanding.

Trailing off, Nerwen takes a cloth scarf from her satchel and wraps the book in it, careful not to actually touch the book itself. She then stows the book in her satchel. As she does so, the Phoenix feather kept in there flares into flame, quickly burning a hole in the bottom of the bag and falling out. As it drops away from the book it returns to it's dormant state, bright afterimages of flame on everyone's eyes. Nerwen picks up the now quiet plume and tucks it in her shirt. She inspects the bag to see what damage is done, but it is limited to scorching on the scarf around the book and a small hole in the bag.

We should look around now, see what else is here. But be careful, touch nothing until Cinna, Thalion or Sarick have agreed. I fear, however, that the only way to rescue Namyrra and William is to be found within the book. I will sit here and prepare myself.

Nerwen sits and begins meditating. Clearing her mind and recalling the lessons of her youth in the tower of the red stone hand.

"They had fought alongside of us, and deserve the same. I have defeated you once, demon, and I shall do it again if it means saving those that you consumed...."

Mephisto's voice boomed in Hybros's mind so loud he could barely hear anything else. The archdemon was clearly amused.

"FRET NOT, YOU HAVE BANISHED ME BACK TO AZAZOT WELL ENOUGH. YOUR 'FRIENDS' I LEFT THERE, BUT NOT QUITE IN THEIR CORPOREAL STATE, I MUST ADMIT. CONSULT THE PANDEMONICON IF YOU WISH TO GET THEM BACK. BUT REMEMBER WHAT HAPPENED TO THAT ZIEGFRIED WOMAN. THE BLACK GRIMOIRE CAN EASILY LURE YOU OVER THE EDGE IF YOU'RE NOT CAREFUL. I WONDER WHICH WILL WIN, CURIOSITY OR FEAR?"

It all seemed like a game to the archdemon.

Trailing off, Nerwen takes a cloth scarf from her satchel and wraps the book in it, careful not to actually touch the book itself. She then stows the book in her satchel. As she does so, the Phoenix feather kept in there flares into flame, quickly burning a hole in the bottom of the bag and falling out. As it drops away from the book it returns to it's dormant state, bright afterimages of flame on everyone's eyes. Nerwen picks up the now quiet plume and tucks it in her shirt. She inspects the bag to see what damage is done, but it is limited to scorching on the scarf around the book and a small hole in the bag.

The whispering continues in Nerwen's satchel.

"Read me, and you will learn everything you have ever desired to know..."

Guts actually has the book.

"Nerwen. I heard the words of the oracle to you. I don't know if she's just a damn good guesser or I am really going to require to do some self sacrificing, but she spoke about a black grimoire and a black temple. She also spoke about a heavy price. I am not going to let you turn out like Sycamore Ziegfried."

Guts sighed, stashed the book in his pack, and walked forward,. he said one more thing:

"I don't care for your insults Nerwen. You know the right thing is not to read or use the book."

Trailing off, Nerwen takes a cloth scarf from her satchel and wraps the book in it, careful not to actually touch the book itself. She then stows the book in her satchel. As she does so,Moving toward Guts the Phoenix feather kept in there flares into flame, quickly burning a hole in the bottom of the bag and falling out. As it drops away from the book it returns to it's dormant state, bright afterimages of flame on everyone's eyes. Nerwen picks up the now quiet plume and tucks it in her shirt. She inspects the bag to see what damage is done, but it is limited to scorching on the scarf around the book and a small hole in the bag.

The whispering continues in Nerwen's satchel.

Guts actually has the book.

"Nerwen. I heard the words of the oracle to you. I don't know if she's just a damn good guesser or I am really going to require to do some self sacrificing, but she spoke about a black grimoire and a black temple. She also spoke about a heavy price. I am not going to let you turn out like Sycamore Ziegfried."

Guts sighed, stashed the book in his pack, and walked forward,. he said one more thing:

"I don't care for your insults Nerwen. You know the right thing is not to read or use the book."

You're right, I did not read closely enough. Guts still has the book.

Seeing Guts ignore her words and pick up the book he had cravenly tried to destroy enraged Nerwen. And then his pathetic mewling about self-sacrifice and 'not letting her' do anything furthered her contempt. The capstone was suggestion that the book, a thing meant for recording knowledge and power, was not to be used. It was all a mirror of the previous quest they had shared, yet this time they were on different sides. As quickly as it flared, the anger left her. She shunned the the part of her that wanted her to loose balance, to forsake order and just beat sense into him.

This temple was the temple she had had a vision of. The book was the one she had seen. And the feeling of power as she read from it in her dream and restored order and balance was... it still vibrated within her. Even with the warning that it was a lie and a trap, Nerwen knew that the power she had felt was no lie. It was real. The only question was the cost, and who would pay it. The human before seemed to want to the power, he was keeping the book, but also not want the power, keeping it closed. As if that could happen, the book would eat at his unguarded sanity until he fell, bashing himself in despair against a text he could not read. He wanted to pay the cost, but he had no coin for this. He was a contridiction, like all humans. Strong, yet weak, noble yet corrupt, seeking the right thing but unable to grasp the bigger picture.

Use it? You cannot. You lack the... understanding. But you would keep it from me? This book that is likely the only chance of seeing Namyrra and William again? You would condemn them in order to portray some front of nobility?

You do not know what the right thing is here, so you cling to your narrow view, that the demonic is evil. It is not. Only the wielders of it are as they fall into pride and arrogance.

But you know me. I speak only truth. We have quested together enough for you to see that. When I say you are a fool, it is not an insult, it is what is. When I say you lack knowledge, it is as if I am describing my hand or my bag. It is obvious to those who can see. That you are offended by this, is simply your recognition that I am right, that this is a battle that thievery and backstabbing cannot win. I can return them. And again, that is not arrogance or pride, it is what is. You know me. You know this is my test, and that I can withstand it.

Give up the book. It is not for you and would only send you mad. Then there would be a quest to hunt you down and slay you, the fallen one. Give up the book.

Nerwen steps forward, holding out her hand, not taking her eyes off Guts' face.

Edited by Chromeknight

"If this book is key to finding the Fenarian and the ranger, I'd rather have them gone. I am not going to take the chance to set something greater loose with it."

Guts did not do anything with Nerwen's open hands, and instead continued speaking with little emotion:

"The book wants to be read. You may not realize, but I have realized a long time ago, whatever a demon wants, you do the opposite. I know demons better than you realize. You weren't there when a young mage opened a portal and demons sacked a small Charis town, you weren't there when demon possessed villagers tried to sacrifice me to 'summon their Lord'. You weren't there when a man that made a deal with the demons burned my wife and child alive. I know more than you think. You've known me long enough, and you know I am keeping up appearances. Is the appearance I am keeping up that of the greedy rogue, or that of the man who tries to do some good where he can. You tell me."

Guts, unnoticely had put his hand on his weapon while speaking. Shaking his head, Guts continued:

"I am going to keep the book. It can't take my sanity, that was lost a long time ago."

Edited by Scubacarrot

Nerwen sighed with pity. Every word the rogue spoke betrayed his ignorance. Not of life, certainly. His tale was sad and sadly not uncommon. But the lesson he had drawn from it? It was the thinking of child.

Do the opposite of whatever a demon says? You have been addled by the wine that is often in front of you. Making that a rule is just as dangerous as always doing whatever a demon says. Demons do not lie with every word. They must be tested and sifted and the truth revealed just an artist draws beauty from the common material they work with.

You condemn the evil man for trying to sacrifice you, but do you not by that same breath condemn yourself as you speak of sacrificing Namyrra and William to your own ideals? You speak of doing good, but your actions do exactly the opposite. I must conclude that you are driven by greed for the book, which is already seeping into your soul, that your true self is uncovered here in the choice you make.

Guts, unnoticely had put his hand on his weapon while speaking. Shaking his head, Guts continued:

"I am going to keep the book. It can't take my sanity, that was lost a long time ago."

Seeing Guts place his hand on his weapon and speak of surrendering to madness, Nerwen realised little hope remained.

It seems you cannot be reasoned with. I should have expected as much from an Edan. How would you have this go then? Would you fight us all to keep Namyrra and William from us? Would you flee and be hunted the length of Eubric, turning false to all the ideals you espouse?

Tell me, Guts the hero, afraid of the shadows of memory, the right thing to do is give me the book. Will you do the right thing or are you indeed a greedy rogue to your core?

Nerwen knew that she alone was no match for the rogue in a fight, but she also knew she did not stand alone.

"You don't know if we find the Ranger and the Fenarian in the book. We haven't explored the temple. They are alive, I'm sure, but I am not about to open a portal to the realms of the nether to get them. What would you tell the remaining people after demons have destroyed the city, raped the women and put the men on pikes? That we did it to possibly find two people? You seem so sure I can't control this book and you can, and let me tell you this: You can't control it. I will find find a way to destroy it, and that will be the end of that."

Edited by Scubacarrot

Amongst all the arguing over the book Dreyrugr notices no one checked the stone tablet the book was taken off and so Dreyrugr inspects the stone tablet the book was taken off.