Sign in to follow this  
Shine

MOC: Hysterical Geometry

Love the spine. It's not flexible, by any chance, is it? I've always hoped to make a model around this size with a flexible spine, but the best piece I can think of using is the palm tree piece, and I don't have enough of them in the same color and the style with a axle hole in the bottom to make anything very good.

I love the skeletal structure and simple color scheme, although I think it would be much better without the old dark grey. The lower arms and hands also seem awfully boring compared to the torso and legs-- while their small, thin proportions may be integral to the model's look, I think it would be nice if you could somehow work some greebles or other details onto them to make them less plain.

I'm also not too fond of the crash helmets as knees and hands, or the domes on the sides of the legs. All the other white parts have a slightly blocky appearance, which makes the spherical appearance of these parts seem out-of-place.

How are this model's balance and flexibility? Most of the pictures you have taken of it are in awfully rigid poses. Balancing it in a more complicated walking or running pose looks like it could be tricky given the small size of the feet.

This picture is by far my favorite angle for this model. The back looks wonderfully mechanical, something that's not as visible from the bulkier front view. My second-favorite angle is this one, where the spine and chest core form a "Y" shape surrounded by interesting gray details. If it's possible, I'd love to see a picture taken upwards from in front of the model. I'm sure it would look very intimidating!

Love the spine. It's not flexible, by any chance, is it?
Had I used a flex tube, it would be. But that would be all floppy and awful then so I didn't.
I think it would be much better without the old dark grey.
Yeah, definitely. Unfortunately, my supply of small dk bley bits is fairly limited. After the gray/bley switch I kinda raged and didn't buy any sets with bley because it didn't match anything else I had at the time.
I'm also not too fond of the crash helmets as knees and hands, or the domes on the sides of the legs. All the other white parts have a slightly blocky appearance, which makes the spherical appearance of these parts seem out-of-place.
Getting this from everyone, so yeah, they're toast.
How are this model's balance and flexibility? Most of the pictures you have taken of it are in awfully rigid poses. Balancing it in a more complicated walking or running pose looks like it could be tricky given the small size of the feet.
Balance is surprisingly not bad, but posability is terrible. It does have a cool double shoulder though. Hopefully that makes up for the ankles. :P
If it's possible, I'd love to see a picture taken upwards from in front of the model. I'm sure it would look very intimidating!
I'm lazy and useless and didn't do this.

----

New version.

picture_01382.jpg_thumb.jpg

Hopefully fixed most of the issues of the first version.

The ankle joints though, while present this time, are complete rubbish. Those Throwbot sockets are pretty terrible as actual joints. It's actually harder to stand up than it's predecessor.

Getting this from everyone, so yeah, they're toast.

Everyone? There was only one post.. :wacko:

I love the updated version. :classic: I take it the frog isn't meant to be a pilot though?

The arms and legs are better in the second version, although I think there are still a few things that you could improve. The Vahki legs don't line up with the upper arms and those claws would be more useful as weapons if they were bigger, but the general shape and bulk of the lower arms works well. The lower legs look better, but I don't like the amount of Old dark grey compared to the rest of the MOC. The feet could be made more interesting with angles and white blocks similar to the torso, because currently they look like the block of TECHNIC connectors that they are. The back of the feet are nice though, despite their weak connection. I'm not sure if jamming axles/small pieces in the half-axle-holes will help tighten the connection. :sceptic:

I really like the shapes and colour blocking of the torso and shoulders. My main suggestion would be to work in some tapering on the back of the spine, but the straight spine is only really visible from the back and straight on, so isn't a large issue.

Overall this is a great MOC. I enjoy seeing your creations, because they often push the boundaries of sense. This is quite a tame example. :laugh: