Is there many technic guys into the lego train side of things? Always liked trains just wondering what's people's opinion that are into both?

Also what train sets are best etc.

I have some trains and a fairly large layout. Though not commonly discussed on this forum, I've found the parts from lego ZNAP to be very useful for building train bridges and large sturdy structures. In fact, I'm tempted to say Znap had the predecessors to the current technic 15L liftarm.

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogList.asp?catType=S&catString=152

32229.jpg?0

32278.jpg?0

Edited by DrJB

I like trains. Rediscovered my love for LEGO trains last year. Used to be into HO scale model trains too.

I like lego trains especially 12V and metroliner.Exclusive trains are astonishing, but I see one problem in trains.Cars are starting to be normally about 6 studs width, trucks more.Trains compare to lego cars seems pretty thin nowadays.

You probably wouldnt believe me if I told you I have Trains also, but I do and too many actually, I am wanting to reduce my colection, currently 35 locos and 100+ rolling stock. My main reason for reducing is that I dont have room for a large town (city) layout and especially that town (city) sets become outdated so quickly.

Well, I bought 60052 and I'm loving it and now I'm waiting for my 3677 to arrive :)

That's good to hear sariel. Is this ur first train set in Lego? 60052 looks nice.

I'm just wondering what afols think of trains as technic is more geared twords adults or older kids.

Yeah, I never even touched a Train set before. I've had some Monorail stuff for a while, but it's just not the same - it's pretty much impossible to build a Monorail engine or car as nice and detailed as in Train sets. I've been resisting temptation for years, but 60052 broke me :)

The nice thing is, the engines seem easy to mod. My 60052 engine now runs on SBrick and with Lego LEDs in front and back - I've changed the insides a lot, but the exterior is almost intact. I intend to do the same with 3677. I don't like the current passenger trains though. They seem boring and not particularly pretty.

Yeah, I never even touched a Train set before. I've had some Monorail stuff for a while, but it's just not the same - it's pretty much impossible to build a Monorail engine or car as nice and detailed as in Train sets. I've been resisting temptation for years, but 60052 broke me :)

The nice thing is, the engines seem easy to mod. My 60052 engine now runs on SBrick and with Lego LEDs in front and back - I've changed the insides a lot, but the exterior is almost intact. I intend to do the same with 3677. I don't like the current passenger trains though. They seem boring and not particularly pretty.

Yes I like 60052 as well. I'm very tempted to start :)

My favourite train is the maersk but that's getting expensive now. I must look up 3677.

Are u getting addicted now sariel?

Yeah, I'm into trains! There's so many interesting ways to do it, so many different powerschemes that one can mixup :classic:

Have very recently started thinking out making a huge pneumatic steam train. Anyone else tried this? The boiler section would hold a large fizzy drinks bottle.

Edited by allanp

Have very recently started thinking out making a huge pneumatic steam train. Anyone else tried this? The boiler section would hold a large fizzy drinks bottle.

I no that Rene Kok from the Netherlands build pneumatic train eniges, but don't no if he is here at EB. He is a member at the Lowlug forum.

I would love to buy a set and start! I was actually planning a wagon with a crane on it....so maybe good combo Train-technic???

We shall see.

I think I've seen a Technic train here somewhere?

TLG could do a nice working version of this :wink: :

396-1.jpg

I really like trains especially Canadian pacific & Canadian national. Has anyone made a gp9, gp7, gp38-2 or any big locos like an es44dc?

I wonder how feasible it would be to make a model of a diesel electric locomotive with a v16 (small cylinder LPE) that would drive electric motors as generators, and then there would be electric motors on the bogeys that would drive the train.

I wonder how feasible it would be to make a model of a diesel electric locomotive with a v16 (small cylinder LPE) that would drive electric motors as generators, and then there would be electric motors on the bogeys that would drive the train.

Do it! Use the Lego education generator/motors. You would probabley need to use quite a lot to get all the power from your LPE. You could also try a steam loco with your modified valves and cylinders. It would probably go 20mph! The train and carriages give you a perfect place to put pressurised air.

Edited by allanp

My favourite train is the maersk but that's getting expensive now. I must look up 3677.

By all means, do look it up: http://www.ibrickcity.com/wp-content/gallery/lego-3677/lego-3677-city-red-cargo-train-ibrickcity-7.jpg

I was looking at Maersk long and hard, the engine in this set is a piece of art. But the entire rest is kind of like "meh", there is no single PF element nor a piece of track included, and it costs a kidney. I got 3677 for two thirds of Maersk's price.

I was looking at Maersk long and hard, the engine in this set is a piece of art. But the entire rest is kind of like "meh", there is no single PF element nor a piece of track included, and it costs a kidney. I got 3677 for two thirds of Maersk's price.

Also you really can't crash the Maersk engine, it's fragile, not a toy. I dunno. I know there are some AFOLs making super-accurate model trains with Lego. The SNOT techniques and everything are very impressive but for me, Lego is about making toys. The game is how many engines and wagons you can get onto one train and have it run at top speed. Also power. More power.